Quantcast

Do any of you Monkeys have a second work from home Job??

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Ciaran said:
- EVERYONE loves rabbit fur.
Yea, my rabbit seems to like his well enough...

I want a cod peice like the one Blackie Lawless had that was red leather, studded, and shot flames!

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
jimmydean said:
Yea, my rabbit seems to like his well enough...

I want a cod peice like the one Blackie Lawless had that was red leather, studded, and shot flames!
Did you know: That in general an animal has just enough brains to tan it's hide with?

You can eat the rabbit meat, use the brain to tan the hhide and use the bones to make buttons and tools and such. Rabbits are very efficient animals.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Mark, you can also check with your local hospital(s). Sometimes they offer medical transcription work-from-home jobs where they pay you per page and you just do as many as you can.

Boring work, of course, just straight data entry, but you can listen to music or whatever while you're doing it. Don't know if you're any kind of a typist, though, about the only way you can make money from those kind of jobs is if you type pretty quick.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
binary visions said:
Mark, you can also check with your local hospital(s). Sometimes they offer medical transcription work-from-home jobs where they pay you per page and you just do as many as you can.

Boring work, of course, just straight data entry, but you can listen to music or whatever while you're doing it. Don't know if you're any kind of a typist, though, about the only way you can make money from those kind of jobs is if you type pretty quick.
I was talking with the transcriptionists here at the hospital and everyone of them (well, everyone that we there on that particular shift) types over 100 words per minute. :eek: Dang that's fast!

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Ciaran said:
Did you know: That in general an animal has just enough brains to tan it's hide with?

You can eat the rabbit meat, use the brain to tan the hhide and use the bones to make buttons and tools and such. Rabbits are very efficient animals.
I joke with my wife that he isn't big enough for one slipper.

Besides that, I have issues killing something my daughter has named "Flower". But that is some useful information, I guess.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Ciaran said:
I was talking with the transcriptionists here at the hospital and everyone of them (well, everyone that we there on that particular shift) types over 100 words per minute. :eek: Dang that's fast!
I can hit 100 wpm on a good day. 85 wpm is about as low as I go for sustained typing.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Is there any sites on the megahyperinterweb that allow you to test your wpm? I was somewhere around 60 in high school, i'm betting i'm close to 100 now since that's what I do all day.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
binary visions said:
I can hit 100 wpm on a good day. 85 wpm is about as low as I go for sustained typing.
No wonder you need a good keyboard. Do you find that you type faster with a regular keyboard or an ergo keyboard? I know that you have the Saitek which is a regular layout. Say, how's it working out anyway?

Shoot, I can barely type my name. :D

beestiboy

Monkey
May 21, 2005
Merded, ca
Well to answer your question my primary gig is working from home. Mortgage Consultation. I am trying to get the scratch together to do some investing from home as well. Foreclosures and distressed properties flipping and lease options.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I work from home as a fulltime job. Photographer/web publisher / graphic & web design.

It actually pays really well, and I work from about 5-8 hours or so every weekday depending on workload. Some weeks it's 7 days, some weeks it's 2. It also means I don't have to work for the man, can go on vacation whenever I want and stay up till 4 to watch those awesome discovery channel specials.

beestiboy

Monkey
May 21, 2005
Merded, ca
Transcend said:
Some weeks it's 7 days, some weeks it's 2. It also means I don't have to work for the man, can go on vacation whenever I want and stay up till 4 to watch those awesome discovery channel specials.

WORD!!!!!!!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Ciaran said:
No wonder you need a good keyboard. Do you find that you type faster with a regular keyboard or an ergo keyboard? I know that you have the Saitek which is a regular layout. Say, how's it working out anyway?
I type much faster on a regular board, but can do okay on an ergo layout - I'm not a big fan of the ergo layouts. Just don't feel comfortable to me.

The Saitek is great. I can type pretty quick on it - I've gotten used to the soft touch, and actually, after a break in period, there's better tactile sensation than I first thought.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
TreeSaw said:
Yupper! I teach private music lessons on the side (woodwinds as they are my speciality). The money is great and I really love working with the kids on an individual basis too!
I have absolutely no musical skill so that option is out completely.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
N8 tries to create the most hideous houses on the face of this planet and sell them for rediculous prices, assuring buyers they possesss magical grout powers.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
binary visions said:
I type much faster on a regular board, but can do okay on an ergo layout - I'm not a big fan of the ergo layouts. Just don't feel comfortable to me.

The Saitek is great. I can type pretty quick on it - I've gotten used to the soft touch, and actually, after a break in period, there's better tactile sensation than I first thought.
Have you always used the convential system or have you tried dvorak at all?

100 wpm is damned fast, I am looking at like 80-90 on a good day.

BTW: norco-freerider is always complaining about my typing cause he says it sounds like I am waging war on my keyboard.

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
I do a bit of real estate on the side of my regular day job. I buy my own properties (HUD or foreclosed), fix 'em up (mostly through hired labor) and sell 'em. I am also managing some larger scale projects for clients that do not want to do or manage the work themselves (I'll get 5-7% of the sale price per property).

If needed, you can take out a home equity line of credit for your first house (50-75k will do the trick in most areas)... then its all cash from there on out.

Even if you only do two or three houses per year, you can easily double your income.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Crashby said:
I do a bit of real estate on the side of my regular day job. I buy my own properties (HUD or foreclosed), fix 'em up (mostly through hired labor) and sell 'em. I am also managing some larger scale projects for clients that do not want to do or manage the work themselves (I'll get 5-7% of the sale price per property).

If needed, you can take out a home equity line of credit for your first house (50-75k will do the trick in most areas)... then its all cash from there on out.

Even if you only do two or three houses per year, you can easily double your income.
It is a lot tougher when you live somewhere where a rotting costs 250+.

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
Westy said:
It is a lot tougher when you live somewhere where a rotting costs 250+.

True, but secure the financing, and you are looking at a potential 75-200k profit vs. a smaller number in less "fancy" places. Same general return on investment ratios will apply (30-40% return per project).

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Crashby said:
True, but secure the financing, and you are looking at a potential 75-200k profit vs. a smaller number in less "fancy" places. Same general return on investment ratios will apply (30-40% return per project).
True, but there is always risk, and risking the equivalent of 5 years salary isn't a wise choice for a lot of people.

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
Westy said:
True, but there is always risk, and risking the equivalent of 5 years salary isn't a wise choice for a lot of people.
There is some risk in inflated market areas (i.e.: Vegas, SoCal, Boston, etc...) - due to a potential real estate crash. But generally, there is very little risk. Keep in mind that these are foreclosed properties that are being sold at far below market value, so worst case scenario, you do nothing, and sell it for a small profit. Its just a matter of making the right connections (top notch Realtors/brokers that specialize in foreclosures) to buy the properties. After that, anything you do is just gravy.

Example: the house I sold last week was foreclosed for 35k. I could have sold it the next weekend for 45k and walked away with 6k or so after expenses... I chose to fix it up and walked away with about 24k. Surprisingly low risk.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Crashby said:

The key there is to have a house and good credit.

Since my separation and divorce, I'm poorer than dirt, in debt, and don't own a house (major faux pas on my part when I got separated).

So this second job would be to earn money to try and climb out of this giant sinkhole of debt I'm in. :dead:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
MMcG said:
And if so, what is it and do you like it?

I could use some supplemental income, but it would have to be some type of work from home gig. I'm looking for some ideas.

I wish I were a good wrench - maybe I could open up a home-based bike repair shop, but alas I pretty much suck ass at wrenching.

There must be a few Monkeys who are doing work from home gigs on the side or in addition to their 9-5 gig.

Lemme know what you are up to and how it pays.

Thanks!
BTW, I never trust those work at home mechanics. Sounds like they couldn't deal with regular customers...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Crashby said:
There is some risk in inflated market areas (i.e.: Vegas, SoCal, Boston, etc...) - due to a potential real estate crash. But generally, there is very little risk. Keep in mind that these are foreclosed properties that are being sold at far below market value, so worst case scenario, you do nothing, and sell it for a small profit. Its just a matter of making the right connections (top notch Realtors/brokers that specialize in foreclosures) to buy the properties. After that, anything you do is just gravy.

Example: the house I sold last week was foreclosed for 35k. I could have sold it the next weekend for 45k and walked away with 6k or so after expenses... I chose to fix it up and walked away with about 24k. Surprisingly low risk.
How do you find the properties? If nothing else don't you have to cover sales tax from the purchase, tax if there is a profit, real estate agent fees and other seller induced costs. It seems that you have to make at least 10-15% to cover basic costs.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I do freelance magazine writing on the side. The money isn't bad and I enjoy the work. Plus, I can do most of it from my day job. I'm always on the lookout for freelance writing jobs (there are lots of great websites etc to find this) because most companies need, but lack, decent writers.

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
Westy said:
How do you find the properties? If nothing else don't you have to cover sales tax from the purchase, tax if there is a profit, real estate agent fees and other seller induced costs. It seems that you have to make at least 10-15% to cover basic costs.
It took me a year to find the right Realtor to work with that specialized in investors (inc. foreclosures, etc.). I just called 30 Real Estate offices, had about 10 meetings with interested Realtors, and picked the best one. She works very hard to find me the best deals. This person only makes their money back from that work when the property sells, so they have a huge vested interest in finding "projects" that will work financially.

There is no sales tax on houses (it comes up at the state legislature level every few years, but hasn't passed yet). And yes, there are many other expenses. In my last example, I bought the house for 35k. The rehab was 9k and ALL other expenses (Realtor commission (6% on the sale), closing costs, title abstracts, surveys, insurance, property taxes, etc.) came to 8k. That gave me a total investment of just over 52k. There is a bidding war on the property as we speak, but the worst offer on the table is 75,900.

* EDIT - and yes, if you hold the property for less than 12 months, you will pay short term capital gains (generally equal to your regular income tax bracket (25-38% depending on your income). More than 12 months, and its much lower (12%?) - you can do a lease option to get to this level.

but... all expenses that contribute the increase in value of a capital asset are tax deductible.

Last thing.. if you live in your flip house for two years while you are fixing it up... you can sell it TAX FREE.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Crashby said:
There is a cheesy show on TLC called "design to sell". They took a condo that was listed for $125k as is, moved 50% of the crap to storage, spend $2000 on some paint and lighting, then relisted it and sold for $150k.

It was on the market for months with no offers, after some changes and a good showing, they had something like 30 offers that week and sold it in 5 days.

There is another show called "Flippers" or something where they do what Crashby is talking about. They buy homes, put up to $10k in 4 weeks and sell for huge profits. They did one houe that went from $500k to $1.2M in 5 weeks. They did a lot in 4 weeks and there were multiple investors, but it can be done.

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
jimmydean said:
There is a cheesy show on TLC called "design to sell". They took a condo that was listed for $125k as is, moved 50% of the crap to storage, spend $2000 on some paint and lighting, then relisted it and sold for $150k.

It was on the market for months with no offers, after some changes and a good showing, they had something like 30 offers that week and sold it in 5 days.

There is another show called "Flippers" or something where they do what Crashby is talking about. They buy homes, put up to $10k in 4 weeks and sell for huge profits. They did one houe that went from $500k to $1.2M in 5 weeks. They did a lot in 4 weeks and there were multiple investors, but it can be done.
Yup - but for every house that someone makes a profit on, someone else is botching up another project because they dont know what they are doing. They would seriously have to try to lose a LOT of money, but not everyone out there is a money maker. The reason those are on TV is because they are pretty dramatic.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Polandspring88 said:
Have you always used the convential system or have you tried dvorak at all?
Have not tried dvorak. I appreciate it from a technical standpoint but just don't think it's practical to try and switch. I am often on different computers, have a desktop and a laptop at home... QWERTY is just too integrated into daily life.

100 wpm is damned fast, I am looking at like 80-90 on a good day.
I always thought I was 80-90 on a good day, too, but I recently took a typing test and found out differently :think:

I actually don't type very well from a technical perspective. My hands are all over the keyboard. But hey, it's effective.

I learned to not pound my keyboard during late, late nights of playing on a MUD when I was 15/16. Didn't want to wake the rest of the household.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Crashby said:
Yup - but for every house that someone makes a profit on, someone else is botching up another project because they dont know what they are doing. They would seriously have to try to lose a LOT of money, but not everyone out there is a money maker. The reason those are on TV is because they are pretty dramatic.
understood. It just blew me away when they added some color, took out some clutter and BAM! The difference in apearence was huge and the amount of work was minimal.

I know they show extreme cases, but it is possible.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Crashby said:

I so want to do some real estate deals this year....

trying to keep my options open; flips, 2 family's, & a good chance I'll sell my current house -> downsize & move to an area with lower property tax (I paid $4k last year in taxes on a house that is worth around 150k).

so if I can come up w/ the balls & the initiative that will be my "at
home job"

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
jimmydean said:

we did a similar thing when we sold our boston condo (1 br, ~700 sq ft). rented storage, moved loads of crap there to make the place appear more spacious, had a buddy fix our ceiling where there was some water damage from leaky brick, and then painted the entire thing. it sold to the first viewer for asking price.

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
douglas said:
I so want to do some real estate deals this year....

trying to keep my options open; flips, 2 family's, & a good chance I'll sell my current house -> downsize & move to an area with lower property tax (I paid $4k last year in taxes on a house that is worth around 150k).

so if I can come up w/ the balls & the initiative that will be my "at
home job"
Biggest bang for the buck are flips... get into rentals after you have built up some substantial capital... the general model goes something like:
1. Raising Capital - flips
2. Positive cash flow - flips and rentals
3. Annuity streams - flips, rentals and commercial
4. Tax shelters - advanced tax strategies and investments

These steps should go in relative order over a period of decades depending on what step you are at...

Something like this:

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Besides my regular 9-5 I sell on Ebay. I ususally make about the same per month but it's not always consistent. I mostly sell bike stuff and comic books.

It's pretty easy going and I choose how busy to be....D

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Crashby said:
Biggest bang for the buck are flips... get into rentals after you have built up some substantial capital... the general model goes something like:
1. Raising Capital - flips
2. Positive cash flow - flips and rentals
what is the reason for waiting?

if you get a rental and, worse case you make $0 profit from the rental after you pay mortgage/taxes/repairs, you still are building
equity