Quantcast

Do any of you Monkeys have a second work from home Job??

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
BMXman said:
Besides my regular 9-5 I sell on Ebay. I ususally make about the same per month but it's not always consistent. I mostly sell bike stuff and comic books.

It's pretty easy going and I choose how busy to be....D
D - you must have access to inexpensive prices for bike parts, something which I no longer have access to.

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
douglas said:
what is the reason for waiting?

if you get a rental and, worse case you make $0 profit from the rental after you pay mortgage/taxes/repairs, you still are building
equity
well... because for 20 years (or whatever the life of the mortgage is)... you have no cash... equity is great - but you dont realize any liquid income until the mortgage is paid off or you sell the property... and you are tying up your cash (or more likely your credit flows) for a long period of time when you could be making a higher return on that money.

With flips, you are in and out in 5-6 months, and you come out with 20-40% ROI in cash.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Crashby said:
well... because for 20 years (or whatever the life of the mortgage is)... you have no cash... equity is great - but you dont realize any liquid income until the mortgage is paid off or you sell the property... and you are tying up your cash (or more likely your credit flows) for a long period of time when you could be making a higher return on that money.

With flips, you are in and out in 5-6 months, and you come out with 20-40% ROI in cash.
makes sense

run into any lead paint problems?

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
douglas said:
makes sense

run into any lead paint problems?
Nope - another reason to stay away from rentals... When you are a landlord, you are liable... when you are a home seller, you sell the property as is and move on.

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
in my case is backwards

I work "At home" ... well go to machine shops, suppliers during the day, test ride shows and events from time to time for my small design studio but since i design, develope and sell motorbike parts i have periods of the year (do to weather seasonal changes and new model releases) when my cash follow fluctuate in a great porcentage, even if i have steady monthlly obligations like machine shop payments, suppliers and the R&D cost that sometimes just kill me and I get super frustrated because I can not afford it and end up lossing market share for pure lack of capital and not for lack of brains....

mostlly for that reason I take freelance request (OnLy when I think I can make a diference) but many times I also reject or redicect the offers to a better sourse because i don't have the skill require to be the ultimate candidate, for example My biggest oportunity (I'm such a Dumm^ss for rejecting this one) a contract with the french telefone company to become a consultant for office ergonomics (I have a deggre in ergonomics science but my experience is more focus on the field of "Dinamic biomecanics" Bikes, motorbikes,human power machines and efficiency, etc things that move) plus i will need to live in france (mostlly paris) from time to time and travel all over europe (you see how dumm i was, having Morals and prinsiples do suck sometimes)
also sometimes I preffer to take Labor base jobs, like fancy construction, remodeling whatever, because I enjoy the fisical work, learn new skills get well paid (sometimes better than my own business) and the best part I is a 8-5 job and when we shoot down the lights is over until the next day, in constrast when you work on your own is a 24 hour 7 day a week comitment what can get ultra streessfull and extremlly tyreing and full of trustrations..

I hope this helps you Mark, even if is totally backwards from what you are asking..

Just remenber is much easier to paddle a small row boat than keep a B-52 in the air, so try to keep your expenses low and don't live beyond your means as oppose to be a Bling Bling champ running all on credit cards (I know you are not like that, this coment is for others sometimes including my self)

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
patineto said:
Just remenber is much easier to paddle a small row boat than keep a B-52 in the air, so try to keep your expenses low and don't live beyond your means as oppose to be a Bling Bling champ running all on credit cards (I know you are not like that, this coment is for others sometimes including my self)
Words to live by. Really.
There is nothing worse than watching a "once-in-a-lifetime" type deal slip away because:

a) your cashflow strapped because you have too many monthly bills. i.e. HBO, internet, gym memberships, cars, motorcycles, insurance, etc.
b) you just blew your wad on some funky toy that is depreciating rapidly and there is no way you could sell it for what your into it for.

There is, however, more to life than saving.
Remember to allow yourself to enjoy your success, in moderation of course.