Quantcast

Do drivers use turn signals in your area?

Do drivers use turn signals in your area?

• Yes

Votes: 15 44.1%
  • No

Votes: 19 55.9%

• Total voters

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I noticed Bay Area drivers use turn signals irregularly. I can usually guess when, but it is poor driving to merge without indicating.

But I don't remember people being so negligent with turn signals in the other areas I've lived. So I wanted to get your opinion.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Out here most people do. But according to Family Guy, the Asian ladies never do. My fiance does most of the time. She's part asian. I guess that's why she uses them most of the time. :0)

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Out here most people do. But according to Family Guy, the Asian ladies never do. My fiance does most of the time. She's part asian. I guess that's why she uses them most of the time. :0)
That's f***in' racist dude!!!!!!

Q. How do you blindfold an Asian?
A. Dental Floss.

Q. How do you blindfold an Asian woman?
A. Put a windshield in front of her.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
That's f***in' racist dude!!!!!!

Q. How do you blindfold an Asian?
A. Dental Floss.

Q. How do you blindfold an Asian woman?
A. Put a windshield in front of her.
hahaha. I'm always teasing her with stuff like that. Those are awesome.

Here at work, we make these goofy looking goggles that are supposed to teach people to dribble a basketball without looking at the ball. They're called Dribble Goggles. I told a few people here that it's just like being asian when you wear those.

ROR!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That's why I refused to lane split in California. Nobody around me ever used a turn signal. It's bad up here for the most part, but it's also not nearly as crowded as it was going through the bay area.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
People are bad around here (Phoenix, AZ).
Very common to have someone slam on their brakes in front of you and turn, no signal. Or my favorite, change lanes on the freeway. I have friends that do that and I always give them crap about it. Just lazy to me.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Orange County, CA

Similar to the Bar Area, I find use of the turn signals to be inconsistent at best. It was beat into me when I first started driving to always use them, and I still do. Oddly enough, I have found other drivers to be usually "kind" when I want to change lanes and use the signal. At the very least, it spreads goodwill, right.

Next: how many people do the "thank you" wave while driving?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
1 out of ever 4 drivers uses them in my town. I'm not making that number up. I've taken polls. I've run the calculations.
The last place I drove regularly was Ct, and I don't remember getting as mad about driving as I do here. I did have a shorter commute but I drove almost every day.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Bay Area: Drivers do use signals, but for some reason believe that because you have a signal on, you have the right to change lanes NOW. not when it's clear, NOW, because the signal is on... Doesn't matter if it is a 4-lane illegal lane change. The signal was on...

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
people round these parts use their blinkers just as they are about to turn....not 50', not 25'...more like 10' from the turn...a lotta help that does

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
For all of those peeps that live in areas that dont, there is South Florida where all the old people just get in their cars and leave them on.

So in the end, it evens out.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
people round these parts use their blinkers just as they are about to turn....not 50', not 25'...more like 10' from the turn...a lotta help that does
I've had a few turn on the signal WHILE they are turning :bonk:

MTB_Rob_NC: we have them here too, snowbirds.

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
Yep, snowbirds here in Tucson are the worst. Folks just stick out their finger and flip the turn signal stalk AS they turn the wheel. By that point, I already KNOW you're turning, numbnuts.

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
There are times I think turn signals were an option people around here do not get when buying a car.

I have a friend that consciously only let the turn signal blink once when he uses it to change lanes. What the hell is that? Does he expect everyone behind him to always be staring at his tail lights?

How many of you signal to let someone with their signal know it is clear to merge?

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Its probably 60/40 here with majority using blinkers...the other 40 are too tweaked out to be bothered by such things

goofy

Monkey
Mar 20, 2004
olney md.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I've had a few turn on the signal WHILE they are turning :bonk:
ive gotten those too......wtf is the purpose of the turning signal if youre gonna signal as youre turning.

i also hate the people who use their blinker, slow down as if theyre going to turn, then continue driving only to turn 200' down the road.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
They use them around here about as often as they use their toothbrushes apparently.

Not that Im perfect either though. If people aren't right around me on the interstate, I just change lanes without signaling.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Man, i use them all the time. Cops out here will pull you over for anything. I've been pulled over for impeding traffic when i was on a two lane road with both lanes going the same direction. I was in the left lane and a cop came out of nowhere in the right lane. He passed me going about 25 over the limit, then slowed down, then pulled me over. He said i was impeding traffic (there wasn't even anybody on the road other than me and him), but he gave me a ticket for no front plate.
I talked to a cop buddy of mine. He laughed and said "impeding traffic on a two lane road isn't even a law. It's only a law when there are three or more lanes traveling the same direction."

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
seattle drivers are generally pretty good about signalling. if anything we are too polite, slowing down to let merging drivers in, etc.