Quantcast

do fat chains eat up chainwheels faster?

rbx

Monkey
two part question

1-do fat chains eat up chainwheels faster?

2-i know that if i have a chainwheel made for 1/8" i can get away with using a fat chain but will it reduce the life of my chainwheel?

stino

Monkey
Jul 14, 2002
belgium
I would say they eat up your chainwheel slower, since the contact area between chain and chainwheel is larger.
But since you're talking about 1/8" chainwheels, it's no use putting a fat chain on: a couple of grinds/stalls and your chainwheel is gone... believe me, I run a 10mm chainwheel and it doesn't remain straight.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Yeah no real point to a fat chain. Its heavy, there's a lot of friction, and they don't really protect your chainwheel. I got a KMC 415 chain and a Profile blackjack. I went for a sproket stall onces ans the chain got smashed deep into the chainwheel...allowing the tooth to be bent. Just go wtih a 1/8 chain and run a bash guard.

stino

Monkey
Jul 14, 2002
belgium
I think fat chains are a real point; in fact, I love it !!
I'm riding the same sprocket and chain since 8 months, I haven't got a *single* problem yet. And I'm pulling grinds and sprocket stalls every time I ride. The chain doesn't bite in my sprocket either (probably because my sprocket was manufactured on demand of my lbs, and the people there ride bmw themselves. It's heavy and fat strong alu) 2 friends of mine have other (bmx brand) sprockets, they encounter some more bite, but it's still ok.
But you do have a point when talking about friction: bashguards will have less friction.