Quantcast

Do helmets mold to your head over time?

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
I just bought an Urge down-o-matic and it's a bit tight in the front and rear. I just read in another helmet review that helmets can mold to your head over time. I'd never heard that before, anyone experience this?

I will probably send it back but a bit bummed because they don't make a larger size and it seems to be high quality, plenty light, and at a great price.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
my POC was a tiny bit tight front to rear when i first got it (similar to yours). it did go away over time, and fits perfectly now. Then again, its EPP, not EPS.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
my POC was a tiny bit tight front to rear when i first got it (similar to yours). it did go away over time, and fits perfectly now. Then again, its EPP, not EPS.
My new POC stuff is TIGHT - arms and legs are hopefully going to stretch; Im not small but I definitely wouldnt put my thickness on the larger side.

The jacket actually reaches my waist thought, and the belt there as well; my old armor made it just under my rib cage - not the ideal place for a 'kidney' belt...

EDIT: Man I cant read - open a few threads in tabs and ADD action.

Helmets do tend to bed in a bit, I would expect same from POC

My new HJC is pimp and huge, Im renting it out as a studio for the weekend...

illnotsick

Monkey
Jun 3, 2009
Both of my D2's were tight when I first got them out of the box. In a few rides though they both fit a lot better

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
EPP... that's that hard stuff used in model planes? I can see a tiny bit of crushin' to the shape of your melon, but I think it's more like your dome becomes accustomed to the shape of the lid...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
EPP... that's that hard stuff used in model planes? I can see a tiny bit of crushin' to the shape of your melon, but I think it's more like your dome becomes accustomed to the shape of the lid...
dunno what's used in model planes... but EPP is Expanded Polypropylene. (most helmets use EPS - expanded polystyrene). EPP is by and far a better material; impact transmissibility of the two materials can be formulated to be identical, but where EPP is superior is that after an impact (crash), it doesn't crush like EPS, it returns to its original shape and retains something like 90-95% of its strength (which is why EPP helmets can be rated to sustain multiple impacts, whereas EPS lids are only rated for single impacts).

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
My new POC stuff is TIGHT - arms and legs are hopefully going to stretch; Im not small but I definitely wouldnt put my thickness on the larger side.
you get the vpd stuff? its supposed to be tight. It seemed weird to me at first too, but you'll get used to it. You riding this weekend?

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
The squishy comfortable foam layer on the inside will compress over time. Some helmets have more foam than others so how much it will change depends on the helmet. The hard molded foam will not change shape.

Just wear it around all day at work till it feels better.

Percy

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Christchurch NZ
Thanks for the feedback.

I have heard that your head can mold to the helmet, but not sure I ride that much! I could wear around work...starting a new job next week in fact, good way to let them know upfront I'm a few marbles short...
Do eet!!:thumb:
Post pics of your new workmates faces when they first see you.:rofl:

But cereally, as far as helmets moulding to your melon goes, my old Remedy was spot on size when I got it, now its to big, and I haven't got smaller............:confused:

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
In the motorcycle world it's pretty common to "spoon" a helmet. Take a soup spoon and press out any hotspots in the foam with the rounded side of the spoon. I'd be very cautious doing this though as it's a permanent change and you can't undo it. I wouldn't use if for adjusting the overall fit of a helmet either, just for taking down a small hotspot that isn't sitting right.