Quantcast

Do Hill, Peaty etc. run air Boxxers or not?

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
So has anyone tried the preload caps glued underneath the air cap?

Iam really anxious in trying this out...

I've run mine that way for a long time now. just ramps up a bit more at the end, that's all. clean everything with alcohol and glue 1 or 2 spacers under the air cap. Plain old super glue does the trick, but make sure everything is oil free first.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
So has anyone tried the preload caps glued underneath the air cap?

Iam really anxious in trying this out...
been doing for 2 years now... it works very well if you like a fork to really ramp up a bit more at the end of the travel

i have always found boxxers (and the first few fox 40's) to be too linear , and like a fork to ramp up a bit. on the original boxxers with the open HC and HC2 damping you could just add more oil to the legs to reduce the amount of air trapped in the fork that would compress at the end of the stroke....

with the new boxxer this is no longer an option. but if you have a WC and want it a bit stiffer at the end the preload caps are a good fix

for the record i weigh about 155 and run 115-120psi in the fork and 2-3 clicks in on the motion control damper, all depending on the terrain being ridden

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
with the new boxxer this is no longer an option. but if you have a WC and want it a bit stiffer at the end the preload caps are a good fix
Yeah it is... you can add oil to the damper (don't go nuts there though, it puts a fair bit of stress on the seal head o-ring) or the lowers, or just do the footbolts up with the fork not partially compressed first. It has exactly the same effect as adding preload caps to the air chamber.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I'd be careful with adding excess oil to the lowers too (same story with doing the footbolts up without the fork compressed at all) as it can make the main pressure seals pop out at bottom out. The pressure seals don't have retaining rings so they're just held in by their pressfit, which is usually solid from factory but if you've ever taken them out and put back in be careful.

I've found 20ml per lower leg is a safe maximum (on the WC, team/race can go plenty in spring leg as the stanchion isn't sealed), with at least 1/4 - 1/3 compression before doing up footbolts.