Quantcast

Do Hill, Peaty etc. run air Boxxers or not?

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I read a while back that some of the pro's run ti springs in their boxxers becuase they prefer the feel.

[disclaimer]I do not work in industry, and cannot recall where I read it. It might have been an interview with one of the Mojo guys[/disclaimer]

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
I read a while back that some of the pro's run ti springs in their boxxers becuase they prefer the feel.

[disclaimer]I do not work in industry, and cannot recall where I read it. It might have been an interview with one of the Mojo guys[/disclaimer]

you read it in dirt, and it was a quote from tim flooks of TF tuned suspension.

Vasquez runs a spring in his fork, but he is the only one i know of that does it.

peat, rennie, and hill, jonier, pascal, etc all run the air spring... though some of them modified the airchamber to make it smaller and get a more progressive rate at the end of the travel (by modified i mean glueing 1 or 2 preload spacers meant for a coil spring to the underside of the air cap)

if you look close at a WC race when the forks are in the SRAM truck for servicing you can see the settings written in black marker on the back of the lower legs.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
They had air caps on their forks. Maybe they just put the top caps on.
the air caps work perfectly well as a preload cap, and rock shox wouldn't want people to know that the pros don't run their air system. i was asking what evidence do you have that they might be running coil springs?

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
I didn´t have the titanium spring, but a steel 05 spring, so it should fit the same way. If I remember correct, you need to preload it about an inch, or maybe a little more, than the 06/07 springs (+ the other spacers that you use). An old-school boxxer spacer will do fine, they´re about an inch long. Just drop down the spring in the stanchion and ad spacer (ot whatever you like that´ll do the job) until you get the same distance frome springspacer to the topcap-threads, as with the 06/07 springs.

Yea, I used the red one (firm). It felt softer than x-soft 06/07... Too soft for most people and for me. It was just an experiment. I don´t know how many lbs/in 05 vs 06/07 springs are ( I´m sure you can find it around here ). But, because 06/07 carries one spring, they´re a lot stiffer. So, the x-firm 05 will still be a "soft" spring. The ti mod will probebly not work for the heavier rider, if it´s the 05 Ti.

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
When i spoke to Tim Flookes about getting my Boxxer air made into teams (because they blew) He said Peaty and other pro's had done the same... so words from the man who tunes their forks!!!! he must know...

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
the wc air spring rocks. lighter than anything, super reliable, infinitely tunable, no coil/stantion rub... what's not to love? is anybody really having issues with them, or are wc fanboys clamoring to stuff springs in their forks because a few pros are rumored to have them? (granted, i'm not a wc pro, so may not have the adequate skills to discern the relative crappyness of the air spring).

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
Great thread it's obvious that both the coil and air forks are not going to hold me back at my riding level. However I suspect the coil is a much better privateer option when weighing in factors such as COST, reliability, and performance. Something General Lee might not be thinking about.

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
the wc air spring rocks. lighter than anything, super reliable, infinitely tunable, no coil/stantion rub... what's not to love? is anybody really having issues with them, or are wc fanboys clamoring to stuff springs in their forks because a few pros are rumored to have them? (granted, i'm not a wc pro, so may not have the adequate skills to discern the relative crappyness of the air spring).
I am totally with you, I love my WCs too. I was just wondering if anybody has some serious info about the whole air/ coil rumors. Down at Maribor WC the last rumor that I heard was that the RS pros ride dual air Boxxers.................:biggrin:

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Great thread it's obvious that both the coil and air forks are not going to hold me back at my riding level. However I suspect the coil is a much better privateer option when weighing in factors such as COST, reliability, and performance. Something General Lee might not be thinking about.

wrong on that last count. I'm not losing sleep over whether they run coil or air springs because i'm not buying into the idea that it makes any difference to me. Boxer team: great fork, boxxer wc: great fork, tuned properly neither will get you down the hill any faster than the other.

that being said, the only real gripes i've heard about the air spring are from guys who are really heavy. i'd imagine there is an optimum pressure range for the boxxer wc and anyone going above or below it might not get the best feel.

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
wrong on that last count. I'm not losing sleep over whether they run coil or air springs because i'm not buying into the idea that it makes any difference to me. Boxer team: great fork, boxxer wc: great fork, tuned properly neither will get you down the hill any faster than the other.

that being said, the only real gripes i've heard about the air spring are from guys who are really heavy. i'd imagine there is an optimum pressure range for the boxxer wc and anyone going above or below it might not get the best feel.
Plus those who are experiencing premature hand soreness will probably be finer with the WCs as it dampens the vibrations better. Arguably, but for me it makes sense.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
the wc air spring rocks. lighter than anything, super reliable, infinitely tunable, no coil/stantion rub... what's not to love? is anybody really having issues with them, or are wc fanboys clamoring to stuff springs in their forks because a few pros are rumored to have them?
People just hate admitting that air might actually work better than coil, and love spreading rumours. But hey, their loss. In actual fact the WC is more tuneable, has LESS stiction (much less surface area of sliding components inside, and much more consistency in that sliding compared to a squirming spring covered in isolators), weighs less, doesn't leave you with the hassle of finding an expensive Ti spring (that'll very likely be the wrong rate for you unless you're a featherweight)... oh the list goes on.

Solo air is incredibly reliable and has a rate *fairly* close to linear (ie. coil) and come service time, it's a joy to work on and will set you back $1 in o-rings and 5ml of oil.

Oh yeah, and most of the pro's worth talking about do run solo air (read: sam), and I'm quite confident that peat has been running air variants of boxxers since back in 02/03 maybe even earlier. Wish people could build a bridge and get over this, it comes up once a month here without fail.

:nopity:

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon

Yeah exactly what I said? "it's obvious that both the coil and air forks are not going to hold me back at my riding level"

Let me put it out there point blank for you. If one pays for their equipment, and the WC costs significantly more than the Team, however neither offers a significant performance advantage over the other, why would one buy the WC?

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Let me put it out there point blank for you. If one pays for their equipment, and the WC costs significantly more than the Team, however neither offers a significant performance advantage over the other, why would one buy the WC?
Easy. Because one can; and because some people will simply want to buy at the high-end for the sole fact that it is high-end. Hardly a new idea idea, and one can find such examples in almost any consumer market.:huh:

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007

Nice thing about the WC is the ability to adjust the air spring to your exact preference/weight.