Quantcast

do Hunting Season and dh'illing mix?

Jun 18, 2004
anyone run into any hunters at the exits off 90 lately? anywhere else in the state, like Cle Elum or Port Angeles for instance? ever had any run-ins w/hunters? tell me what you know...

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Wearing bright clothes and being polite to sometimes crazy people with guns just anxious to kill something is always a good idea.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I've never had any run ins with hunters in WA but when I lived in Pennsylvania, we always took a break from riding for rifle season. Keep in mind in PA they made the first day of rifle season a holiday cause nobody would come to work anyways.
Bells and orange are a good idea. White shorts and antlers are a bad idea.

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
Str8OutaBallard said:
anyone run into any hunters at the exits off 90 lately? anywhere else in the state, like Cle Elum or Port Angeles for instance? ever had any run-ins w/hunters? tell me what you know...
Skookum pretty much hit hit the "target". A lot of hunting is done from the road, so I usually wave or sometimes stop for a second and talk to the hunter. Sometime the bike trails cross spots hunters like to set up. I saw more than once bear hunters setting up at a spot where they would shoot into or across Rat Pac Trail. You can only hope they identify what they are shooting.

I like the hunters. :) If I dont see them, I dont seen anyone. Last year when I cracked up real bad, it was hunters who scraped me up from the road. If they hadnt come along I dont know what would have happened. Also they keep the cougar population in check. Hunters really arent much to worry about. The guys I have seen that have caused me some concern are gang banger types from Seattle coming out to target practice-once, local yahoos stripping cars, drinking and shooting cars up-once. The first guys I waved to, the guys shooting up the car I just kept going.

Confrontations with hunters cam be deadly. About 15 years ago two hunters got in an argument over who shot a deer here in the hills around Cle Elum and one stabbed the other to death. The case remained unsolved for about 10 years until the suspects guilt overcame him and he confessed to the murder.

One of the things you need to be aware of is make sure they can see you. In the evening they like to run their vehicles without lights. I am not sure how many hunters shoot from their vehicles-its illegal but it seems like everyone runs without lights.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Once at a race in capital forest we ran into hunters. A guy and his 10 yr old kid... walking up the road that the race was going to be on..... We tried to politley tell him that a race was starting soon. His response "Well accidents happen......" We let the sherif know that was at the race and he wasnt concerned... i think he was also a bit peeved that the race was happening during hunting season.......in the end no one got hurt...... i still ride out there at times during hunting..... i just avoid the areas around roads....

BIGHIT756

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Maple Valley, Washington
WEAR FLOURESCENT ORANGE-----this is the color most worn in the woods during hunting season. you must dress brightly......and definetly do not wear colors like black, brown, tan...don't be stupid....use common sense.....