Quantcast

Do I Eat Too Much?

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
Ok here's what I usually eat. Also, I've gone from a size 38 to a size 32 in the past year, but lately, I feel my stomach and waist getting bigger. I do 5 miles on the nordic track daily now that I can't ride bikes anymore due to the 19 feet of snow we have. Am I not exercizing enough? Do I need to increase to 5miles 2x a day? I use to do 400 crunches a day, but I can't do it, they are so phucking boring. The problem is that I am constantly starving. Heres what I eat daily
Breakfast
Banana + Cereal Bar
1 sm DD ice coffee, 6 sugars and cream

Lunch
Usually a Steak and Cheese (L) about 3x week, other usually a ham sand with chips or PB+J
2 snickers bars

Dinner
hmmm...............
Well last night, wife makes mini hot dogs with cheese inside little crossiant rolls. Ate about 10 with about 1/2 can baked beans
Other nights, usually about 1/2 lb of meat and usual portion of veggies. Sometimes like a 1/4 of a round cake with frosting when we have it. Otherwise only desert 2-3 times a week

Do I eat too much or not exercize enough? It's really getting to me that my pants are getting tight
I'm 6'0 and weigh 185

What do I have to do to get down to 0% body fat
Oh and I also consume about 2L of Water a day and usually
3 cans of grape soda.

Yes, I'm an idiot. I know I probably eat way too much, but like I said, I could eat 4 steak and cheese subs and still be hungry 2 hours later. Do you suggest I do 10 miles a day on the nordic track? Believe me, it's the most boring form of exercize on the planet. I'd much rather ride my mtb, and I refuse to buy a road bike.
What to do?

Knuck

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
just don't eat as much. going to 10 mi on the nordic track is dumb imo

easy things to do: cut out candy (snickers) and soda. sugar is useless.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
black coffee, no soda.
and get up 15 minutes earlier and eat a larger more nutritious breakfast. Snack throughout the day. B

uy real XC skiis and ski outside.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
where are your fruits and veggies?

sounds like a lot of low quality, hi fat & sugar and processed foods to me.

I think you need to upgrade the quality of your diet.

geargrrl

bbmj

Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
Eastbay
why dont you try and eat every two or three hours, eat smaller meals, and focus on recognizing if you are satisfied, i know when i do this i can lose a good bit of fat, but you have to focus on putting down the food when you are satisfied
charlie

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Well 0% body fat isn't the best idea, so I wouldn't make that a goal, but the advice of eating smaller meals throughout the day is definitely a plan(it's how I keep from spending way too much money on dorm meals at school). You'll end up eating less and better. Rather than eating candy bars cut up a piece of fruit and some yogurt or some veggies with cheese. It will be more satisfying and tide you over longer.

Good luck, though it sounds like you've had a fair amount of success already.

The Ito

bbmj

Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
Eastbay
also, when your body fat drops below a certain point you really open yourself up for sickness, the body NEEDS a certain amount of fat to function, somewhere 7-10% is very healthy,
charlie

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
...or putting 6 sugars and real cream in your java.
2 snickers bars with lunch?

Well is 1 snickers bar really enough? I don't think it's enough to satisfy a mouse. Also, how can like 1 or 2 shots of cream in a small ice java make you fat? I just don't understand how a little cream can add endless fat to your diet. You guys are right with the quality though. My wife was making me fresh squeezed veggie juice for about 5 months and I drank that throughout the day and I wasn't eating so much ****t. She stopped as it takes about 38 hours of work to buy, cut, clean, process the veggies into the juice, and I certainly don't have the patience for it. So if I cut out the snickers, soda, and cream and replace all that with veggies, I'll be good?

Knuckle (yes, I am an idiot)

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
MTBRCHK what do I do to get that V shape with my stomach? I got a big chest and big shoulders wich are well defined from doing about 200 pushups/day and the nordic track, but my lower half is not happenin. I can see a little of a 6-pack, but below that is a flab of fat I can't get rid of. I have this thing called an ab roller
http://www.infomercial-products-online.com/images/prod_main/abrollerportable.jpg
That I use to do 400 situps a day on but that diddn't make a bit of difference. Now I was doing them fast rather than bringing myself up and holding it. What do you suggest is the best way to use this machine, or is the thing useless altogether. I was seriously doing about 5 miles a day on the NT and 400 crunches and my stomach wont acquire that nice v shape. Any suggestion is appreciated. Do I need to up it to 10 miles a day on the NT and 1000 crunches?
I prefer to do a fast, insane workouts, rather than 2 hours of boring weight lifting and whatnot. I don't understand how anyone could lift weights for even an hour. 20 reps of this, 10 reps of that, 20 of this :o: "YAWN"
So basically, what can I do, exercize-wise in a 1/2 hour a day to reach my goals
A. Get down to 170 (I'm 6'0) and currently 185lbs
B. Obtain a nice V shape

Thanks, Kevin

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
it's like this... everythign in moderation.
Do the math... 1 T of cream is 15 g of fat, it's 50% fat. If you are putting 2 T of cream in your coffee every day, that's 30 grams of fat, 7 days a week.... or, a 2 oz snickers has 19 grams of fat, x2, time 7 days a week....(ew, gross)

Your diet should be no more than 30% fat.

here's web site where you can log in what you eat, and it will give you an idea of where you are good and what need improving.
Healthy eating index

or:Nutrition Index

also, aerobic excercise does not build muscles, resistancec training will...

I'm sure some of the monkeys can elaborate, these are just guidelines

geargrrl

Originally posted by Knuckleslammer
MTBRCHK what do I do to get that V shape with my stomach? I got a big chest and big shoulders wich are well defined from doing about 200 pushups/day and the nordic track, but my lower half is not happenin. I can see a little of a 6-pack, but below that is a flab of fat I can't get rid of.
While you can't spot reduce, fat does tend to come off last in areas like the stomach and thighs in a lot of people. So if exercise isn't doing it - what is left? DIET - a healthy and balanced one where you eat enough protein to feed your muscles (that you are breaking down during exercise), healthy fats to keep your kidneys functioning properly, and carbs to fuel you during your workouts and cardio sessions.

It's a lot to learn. Perhaps you should talk to a nutritionist.

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
Well, I figue it this way. I'm a pig. Yes, I need to cut down on the junk, but I also figure that 5 miles isn't enough on the nordic track. I do 5 miles in 25 minutes. I figured that was awesome, but compared to mountain biking 10 hours a week, it's not. I was shedding weight during the summer. Now, I'm killing myself exercizing and the weight is going on, not off. I can't figure it out. I'm not eating any more than usual. Well I follow this basic premise. Calories in/Calories out
I guess I gotta pummel myself more with the exercize.
From now on, it's nordic track, 2x a day = 10 miles
200 pushups
400 situps

Thats it. Thanks for the help. I do like that site on the food index. cool. I'm just not beating myself up enough is the problem
Knuck

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England

From now on, it's nordic track, 2x a day = 10 miles
200 pushups
400 situps
Pushups and situps don't do a god damn thing in helping you lose weight. To lose weight, you need to add muscle, and to add muscle you need to lift weights.

The nordic track is good for cardio, but cardio alone isn't enough, yo.

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
ok how often and long do I have to lift weights
what do I do?
I get overwhealmed with the ammount of different exercizes and ****e
gimme the lowdown here man
how many of each exercize, bench press, curls, etc
how many reps of ea.
how many x per week

I agree with what you said, but your wrong about the pushups. Before I started with the pushups, I had NO_CHEST. Now, It ain't lookin too shabby. Just want to firm up the gut, add to the forearms and keep up the cardio. Man, I love phucking food yo.
MEAT, MEAT, MEAT, MEAT

Knuck

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
ok how often and long do I have to lift weights
what do I do?
I get overwhealmed with the ammount of different exercizes and ****e
gimme the lowdown here man
how many of each exercize, bench press, curls, etc
how many reps of ea.
how many x per week

I agree with what you said, but your wrong about the pushups. Before I started with the pushups, I had NO_CHEST. Now, It ain't lookin too shabby. Just want to firm up the gut, add to the forearms and keep up the cardio. Man, I love phucking food yo.
MEAT, MEAT, MEAT, MEAT

Knuck
There's nothing wrong with meat alone, but meat plus sugar and complex carbs and fat loaded processed cheeses leads to a gut of noteworthy proportions. Cut back on the processed foods...eat a simple healthy diet. Steak is fine, don't slather it up with a bottle of a1 sauce, and instead of fried taters and cheese to go with it, have a salad with a vinegar dressing. And don't eat till you're stuffed...if you're hungry all the time, take the amount of food you're eating and break it out into 6 or 7 smaller, healthier meals. Instead of chips or crackers, have grapes, or an apple and cottage cheese, at night instead of the blast-o-butter popcorn have some oroville reduced fat non-buttered stuff (it really tastes good...you'd be surprised)...

Being small and thin and trim and muscular is more of a lifestyle change. I don't think any solution you choose to implement will give you the results you want quickly, nor will they last long if you revert back to old habits shortly afterwards. ;)

G'luck!