Quantcast

Do I know you?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
So I'm making some ramen for lunch today, and some random dude walks up and is like "Hey man, how have you been?". Totally looking at me like we're best friends or something. I have NEVER seen the guy before, at least not that I can remember. All I could think to do was play along like I recognized him. He continued the conversation for like 5 minutes.

I really hope he mistook me for someone else, because it would suck if my brain has deteriorated so much that I don't recognize my friends anymore :(

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
when i was out at jackson hole over break i got a call from a vermont # that i didn't recognize, the conversation went something like this:
"hello?"
"yo mike it's charlie"(i had been hanging out with a kid named charlie on this trip and he was from vt as well)
"oh, hey what's up man?"
"are you at your house?"
"uh, yeah i'm at my condo"
"uhhh, ok. would it be cool if haley and i swung by?"
"who's haley?"
"you know, haley."
"uhhhh i think you have the wrong number"
"****, you're right"

it was a pretty funny situation, but fairly awkward at the time. i'm pretty sure i know who actually called me though.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
nice, now take a step further. and go steal his gf or something. so he breaks up with you

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
So I'm making some ramen for lunch today, and some random dude walks up and is like "Hey man, how have you been?". Totally looking at me like we're best friends or something. I have NEVER seen the guy before, at least not that I can remember. All I could think to do was play along like I recognized him. He continued the conversation for like 5 minutes.

I really hope he mistook me for someone else, because it would suck if my brain has deteriorated so much that I don't recognize my friends anymore :(
that happens to me a lot, especially at bike related events.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
I had this happen not too long ago. Some guy walks up to me and starts off with the Hey, Chuck, how's it going...blah balh. Swear I had never seen this guy before. Asked a coworker who it was and they laughed and said it was a guy I had been stationed with almost 10 years ago. Getting old sucks...

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
some random dude walks up and is like "Hey man, how have you been?". Totally looking at me like we're best friends or something. I have NEVER seen the guy before, at least not that I can remember. All I could think to do was play along like I recognized him. He continued the conversation for like 5 minutes.

Welcome to my life for the last 20 years.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I've got the best excuse for not being able to remember some people.

I just say," I'm sorry my memory is not as good as it used to be. I had to quit racing Down Hill a few years ago because of too many concussions."

What can they say to that. If they say anything they'll just come off as dick.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
So I'm making some ramen for lunch today
:think:

I was back in my home city the last time about 7 years ago and a big group of my ad agency cronies were out drinking. I start chattin' with a random blonde:

sb: "So who do you work with here?"

rb: "You don't remember me?"

sb: "Mmmm, no."

rb: "We went out twice!"

sb: "How'd that go?"

My younger brother was there too and heard the whole conversation and high fived me which cemented me as a hero for him.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
when i was out at jackson hole over break i got a call from a vermont # that i didn't recognize, the conversation went something like this:
"hello?"
"yo mike it's charlie"(i had been hanging out with a kid named charlie on this trip and he was from vt as well)
"oh, hey what's up man?"
"are you at your house?"
"uh, yeah i'm at my condo"
"uhhh, ok. would it be cool if haley and i swung by?"
"who's haley?"
"you know, haley."
"uhhhh i think you have the wrong number"
"****, you're right"

it was a pretty funny situation, but fairly awkward at the time. i'm pretty sure i know who actually called me though.
Yeah, I had that happen to me. Except I was the idiot that forgot to turn my phone off and I was in hong kong. And it was 3AM. She thought it was funny, I didn't.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
The first time it happened to me was when I was 20 and a guy I'd shared a class with a couple of years earlier started working in the same office. I thought he fancied me, or something, cos he just kept smiling at me and saying "Hi" a lot when I walked by. Eventually he twigged that I had no idea who he was.

Twenty years on, it happens on a regular basis. I don't even worry about it anymore; people don't seem to get too offended.

Lady Gravity

Chimp
Jul 1, 2004
Mtnbike Mecca
I was back in my home city the last time about 7 years ago and a big group of my ad agency cronies were out drinking. I start chattin' with a random blonde:

sb: "So who do you work with here?"

rb: "You don't remember me?"

sb: "Mmmm, no."

rb: "We went out twice!"

sb: "How'd that go?"

My younger brother was there too and heard the whole conversation and high fived me which cemented me as a hero for him.
LOL that's hilarious, it would have been worse if you'd slept with her.

as for not recognizing people...happens to me all the time, and has since my 20s. i've probably pissed off a large number of people over the years, mainly other women. now i try and make a conscious effort to remember people but sometimes if you're in a large group and meet a number of people at the same time it's kinda difficult.

i also hate crowds, and tend to kind of blank people out.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I remember faces well, but can't recall names to save my life. I work in a bike shop, and it's kind of embarassing when I have to ask a customer who comes to the shop regularly for their name, so I can write somthing on the reciept. If they pay check or plastic it's OK, because I can just read it off, but if they pay cash, I'm screwed.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
LOL that's hilarious, it would have been worse if you'd slept with her.
Oh, I hit it on the second date, but her ex was a stalker, so I bailed.

She looked so different, and I was thinking more about old stories with my buddies, than some random chick that night.