Quantcast

Do I like pain?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I was thinking today. Maybe you could smell the smoke.

Somewhere in the last couple of years I went from not liking climbs to seeking them out. I get a rush from it. Even when I burn out and barely make it to the top, I still love it. Today my legs burn every time I stand up, due to pushing hard on last night's ride. I decided I like that too.

Then I was thinking about on MTB rides when a branch whips my shin or my arm. Stings for a minute, and burns in the post-ride shower. I think I like that too.

Now I'm not looking to break any bones or get any stitches. I don't wanna get spanked or anything kinky like that. But I've decided I like certain kinds of pain. Is that wierd? I'm guessing it's a pretty common thing among cyclists but I've never seen it discussed here.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I wonder if it's really the pain, or the activity asssociated with the pain. For example, I know when my legs burn after a hockey game it makes me think about a particular rooty hill that I have yet to clean on my SS.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Echo said:
<snip>Somewhere in the last couple of years I went from not liking climbs to seeking them out. I get a rush from it. Even when I burn out and barely make it to the top, I still love it. Today my legs burn every time I stand up, due to pushing hard on last night's ride. I decided I like that too.
Nothing unusual about it. Climbing can be fun! We did ~4K on Sunday. Some of it was *STEEP* :dead: :thumb:

-S.S.-

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I love the pain I feel after a hard workout or ride.

Not so much the pain that I get from really overdoing it (the, "I can't move today and every movement is total agony), but when I've gone for a hard ride and my legs hurt the next day, I like it. There are other types of pain that I find appealing, too.

I don't think you're crazy. Unless I'm crazy too.

Which is entirely possible.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
binary visions said:
I love the pain I feel after a hard workout or ride.

Not so much the pain that I get from really overdoing it (the, "I can't move today and every movement is total agony), but when I've gone for a hard ride and my legs hurt the next day, I like it.
:stupid:

I rode with Squeak last year and overdid it.... almost got thigh cramps trying to keep somewhere near that fast-ass bahstid! :dead:

-S.S.-

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
SkaredShtles said:

I rode with Squeak last year and overdid it.... almost got thigh cramps trying to keep somewhere near that fast-ass bahstid! :dead:

-S.S.-
Yeah he spanked everyone last year at the monkeyfest too. I wish I had some real hills around here.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England

My wife's cousin lives atop a loooong hill in Vermont (it's got to be 10 miles). Everytime we drive up it, I imagine how much fun it would be to tackle the climb on my road bike. When the NORBAs are in town, the pros use the climb for training.

For some reason, I enjoy climbs on my road bike much more than my MTB.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I am with you Echo - I thrive on pain..well, the good kind, not the broken bone, hurt knee kind. I love hill intervals, I live short track, I love marathons...I LOVE IT ALL!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
No one here seems to appreciate pain. What I hear is the EGO saying, what used to be hard for me doesn't bother me as much.

I remember my first races: I would go as hard as I could, but within the first 10 minutes I would drop off the back, breathing impossible, blood pressure at max, barely able to turn the pedals.

By next year, I was pulling my category around the course, and I was proud and happy about my improvement. I would still go out and train as hard as I could, but I never felt the pain like I did when I first started racing.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Endorphines, endorphines, endorphines.

That elated peacefull feeling you get after a leg or lung burning ride is just the remains of a good endorphine buzz. I love it, i'm addicted, best drug ever. I've tried the rest, endorphines are the best.

Your body also pumps out extra testosterone and adrenaline after winning a race.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Echo said:
You need a singlespeed.
Word.....

I tend to search out steeper and longer climbs each weekend on my fixed gear. I got in a climb the other week with a crux of about 20%, averaging about 12% over two miles. What is even better though is finding a climb that is long(8-10miles) and steady and is perfect for my gearing. When I hit those it doesn't matter how bad it hurts, I tend to fly up them.

And I've never said no to a spanking

The Ito

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
Westy said:
Endorphines, endorphines, endorphines.

That elated peacefull feeling you get after a leg or lung burning ride is just the remains of a good endorphine buzz. I love it, i'm addicted, best drug ever. I've tried the rest, endorphines are the best.

Your body also pumps out extra testosterone and adrenaline after winning a race.
Your body does get addicted to those exercise endorphins by the same opiate receptor mechanism as opiate drugs like morphine and codeine.

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
I like pain, as long as it doesn't hurt.

Meaning it is more enjoyable to think about it when you are sitting at your computer than it is to be actually doing it. For example, I look back with fond memories on the 70 miler I did this past weekend at Firestone (full report coming, once they post results). I like the fact that I suffered and overcame. I'm looking forward to the next one. BUT, when I was actually on my bike (at least on the last lap), I just wanted it to be over.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
on "good" rides I like the pain, but if there is bonkage with the pain, not so much

I pretty much agree w/Westy & Sanjuro about Endorphines and feeling good because you accomplished something or kicked ass during the ride

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
ghostrider said:
I like pain, as long as it doesn't hurt.

Meaning it is more enjoyable to think about it when you are sitting at your computer than it is to be actually doing it. For example, I look back with fond memories on the 70 miler I did this past weekend at Firestone (full report coming, once they post results). I like the fact that I suffered and overcame. I'm looking forward to the next one. BUT, when I was actually on my bike (at least on the last lap), I just wanted it to be over.

good point, during many XC races I hurt/lots of pain.........sometimes to the point of why am "I doing this", but as soon as it was over, win or loss I would be looking forward to my next race

EDIT: :nope: I have never won an xc race

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
johnbryanpeters said:
OK, pain boy, how about we ride up the Burke Mountain road sometime during the M'fest?

J
I was just gonna bring my singlespeed this year, but if you are serious I'll bring a bike with gears too.

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
Heidi said:
I am with you Echo - I thrive on pain..well, the good kind, not the broken bone, hurt knee kind.
What's wrong with the broken bone kind of pain? It's kinda cool. Sometimes I have surgery just for fun.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
johnbryanpeters said:
I have been thinking about it, even toyed with the idea of heaving the road bike into the van.

J
This is definitely worth discussing further. Maybe we can talk some more people into it. I know Deyv would be all about it if he were going.

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
Physical pain is overrated. For one, it's temporary. I like mental pain. Like asking questions like where the universe ends. Who are you? Etc....

There's nothing quite like a barragement of mental abuse. No? :thumb:

Remember, physical pain is temporary, mental pain is permanent.

I for one hate hills. I climb and climb and climb and I don't get any better at hills. So? Homey don't do hills.

Knuck