Quantcast

Do metal Shimano brake pads go bad??

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Both bikes use the same brakes with the same metal brake pads. The trail bike's pads have been fine all year (with some riding in the rainy/winter season here). After 7 months of not being used, I took the DH bike out last night to make a list of what I need to work on and the brakes howl...and this is just with cruising around slowly in circles.

I store my bikes in a secured storage locker in the basement of my building. I wonder if the moisture and humidity after a while make the brake pads go 'bad'. I know I could wait and see if my first run of the year will burn off whatever is on the pads and rotor but I figured I'd ask.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
What brakes? Let me guess, Shimano? :busted:

The pads won't go bad by themselves, but if the caliper leaks a little over time, then yeah...

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Yep, Shimano Saint/Zee.

It's just weird. It's like if they're not used for a long time, they go to shit. Usually brake pads are my first purchase when I go to Whistler at the start of the season because they're howling and stopping like garbage.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yep, Shimano Saint/Zee.

It's just weird. It's like if they're not used for a long time, they go to shit. Usually brake pads are my first purchase when I go to Whistler at the start of the season because they're howling and stopping like garbage.
This is happening because the pistons are weeping fluid the caliper. It's a known problem with shimano. Do you have the white ceramic pistons by chance? It happens with my XTRs, I have two sets and on one bike, it's pretty bad. If I'm riding the bike every week or two, not a problem, but if I let it set longer, it's bad. If you ride it enough you can maybe burn off some of the fluid if you can get the brakes hot enough ,but that's a crap shot and you don't have crap for brakes until that happens. Putting the pads in the oven at 400 for at least 15 minutes vapoo-rizes the oil and adding an isopropyl cleaning to the rotors usually gets you back close to original power. It's just all part of the shimano brake owner experience.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Ok now I know I'm not crazy then. Yeah I believe they're the white pistons.

I suppose the other bike gets ridden enough so the weeping oil doesn't end up on the rotors and pads. At the end of the season, I'll have to take the pads off and put 'em somewhere dry.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Ok now I know I'm not crazy then. Yeah I believe they're the white pistons.

I suppose the other bike gets ridden enough so the weeping oil doesn't end up on the rotors and pads. At the end of the season, I'll have to take the pads off and put 'em somewhere dry.
Just put a remove before flight tag or warning thing on your brake lever.

Or else :popcorn: when you jump on the bike for that test rip down the street and suddenly remember "oh shit the pads for these brakes are in my toolbox. now they REALLY don't work...."

:busted:

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
No kidding... but all of this leaking makes sense. This happened with my last DH bike that would sit for months in between seasons.

No if only shops would have brake pads in stock.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
No kidding... but all of this leaking makes sense. This happened with my last DH bike that would sit for months in between seasons.

No if only shops would have brake pads in stock.
These?