Quantcast

Do not call list - Add you cell phone ASAP

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Starting Jan 1, 2005, all cell phone numbers will be made public to telemarketing firms. So this means as of Jan 1, your cell phone may start ringing off the hook with telemarketers, but unlike your home phone, most of you pay for your incoming calls. These telemarketers will eat up your free minutes and end up costing you money in the long run.

According to the National Do Not Call List, you have until Dec. 15th 2004 to get on the national "Do not call list" for cell phones. They said that you need to call 1-888-382-1222 from the cell phone that you wish to have put on the "do not call list" to be put on the list. They also said you can do it online at www.donotcall.gov

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Here's the copy and paste of the response I give when I see these alarmist emails that have no basis :) :

FYI, the cell phone directory "listing" service is opt-in only for existing users; your cell phone provider will need to obtain your permission before they would be allowed to publish you in such a directory.

See this link at Fox News for more information - I've been keeping track of this issue for a while now:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,119783,00.html

Just make sure to read stuff that your cell phone provider sends you - they want everyone to be listed, so they could easily send you a notification that says, "Send this in if you don't want to be listed." New cell phones would be listed in the directory unless you choose to opt-out.

http://www.wired.com/news/wireless/0,1382,64185,00.html

As always with any contract, when signing up for cell phone service you have to read the fine print - some agencies may say that simply signing up with them is "opting in" in which case you might have to do something special to opt-out.

Existing users should be fine though!

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
well you dont have to worry if you are a US Cellular employee. We do not sell our info to any companies.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I Are Baboon said:
Looks like there is really nothing to worry about. Yes, your cell number is being added to a 411 directory if you choose to have it added, and even if you do, the list is off limits to telemarketers.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/cell411.asp

In any case, I blame Freak.
Hrm, I couldn't find that, I checked snopes. I figured it was legit since they ask you to use the official DNC resources...

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
imo, it's only a matter of time before someone breaks the law or a mistake is made and my cell phone starts ringing with marketers. i added mine simply because it took 30 seconds and was easier than the alternative (f'n calls all the time) that could very well happen.

HTFR

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Chelsea, Quebek
hum, do they really think that people are going to pay to talk to telemarketers, they will never get a responce and waste their time!