Quantcast

do not call list

May 4, 2004
a computer near you!
:think:

ok, i have been home for 10 min. and i have already recevied 5 telamarketer(sp?) phone calls, its not worth signing that stupid "do not call list" they call you even more....at least thats what i've heard....does the do not call list really work? let me know....thanks

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I haven't received at telemarketer call in like 3 years. In NY if you're on the no call list and they call you, they are subject to a $20,000 fine.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
yup....it kicks ass. I only get 2 unsolicited calls a month, 1 from the fraternal order of po-pos, & some firefighters org. Non-profits are not included in the "dont call" thing.

but yeah sign up ASAP if they wont leave you alone.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
The list worked great for me in NH... I used to get probably 5 calls per week from telemarketers, now I get exactly zero.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Not having a land line I have no idea how well the list works, but I never get solicitor calls on my cell phone.

bushwacker

Monkey
Aug 21, 2003
Norcal :/
Telemarketing calls are returning with a vengeance now that the loopholes have been discovered.

The Do Not Call list thing is a US law.
So, to get around it, hire a bunch of people in another country to do the talking, route the calls thru the internet via VoIP, and voila, it's legal business.

Also, any compnay you have done ANY business with in the last 18 months can legally call you.
So, that includes credit card companies/phone company/cable company/supermarkets/insurance companies/etc.... basically all the same people that were calling you before.

Calls for charitable causes are also legal:
"Hi, I'm with the Leukemia Society of America, would you like to buy a timeshare property? The Luekemia Society of America will receive 1% of your purchase price."

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
I love the 'do not call' - it has virtually stopped all our unwanted calls (now if I could only add my mother to the list... :evil: ).

However there are definitely some loopholes... In SoCal they have nice cars in the movie theater lobby that they are raffling off for free. However if you read the fine print you'll see that you are signing a waiver allowing "3rd party" calls (i.e. telemarketers).

Yeah, like they are giving away a F'ing hummer (one option) just b/c you filled out a piece of paper! Always read the fine print on any contest that you enter!

greenreese

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
bushwacker said:
Telemarketing calls are returning with a vengeance now that the loopholes have been discovered.

The Do Not Call list thing is a US law.
So, to get around it, hire a bunch of people in another country to do the talking, route the calls thru the internet via VoIP, and voila, it's legal business.

Also, any compnay you have done ANY business with in the last 18 months can legally call you.
So, that includes credit card companies/phone company/cable company/supermarkets/insurance companies/etc.... basically all the same people that were calling you before.

"Hi, I'm with the Leukemia Society of America, would you like to buy a timeshare property? The Luekemia Society of America will receive 1% of your purchase price."
HAHAHA the Luekemia guy called me twice yesterday and once a few days ago. He had this whole long speech that he said before I even said hello. I just waited and listened. He said something about 10 letters into neighborhood mailboxes. After he finished I said "Sorry can you repeat that please?". He went through the whoooooooole thing again, word for word as if he was reading a speech(which he probably was). Then I told him I was sorry and I didn't want it. He says, "I must not have explained myself correctly...." and repeats the second half of the speech... again...... I waited and listened. I then told him no again, and he tried to come up with some other crap. "NO, BYE!"

I don't know why everybody hates these people, I love them. They are so much fun to play with. Just be really polite and ask them to repeat everything, because they arn't going to hang up, they want to sell their crap. They will talk forever. I wish I could get more of them to call.

-dAn

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Slugman said:
I love the 'do not call' - it has virtually stopped all our unwanted calls (now if I could only add my mother to the list... :evil: ).

However there are definitely some loopholes... In SoCal they have nice cars in the movie theater lobby that they are raffling off for free. However if you read the fine print you'll see that you are signing a waiver allowing "3rd party" calls (i.e. telemarketers).

Yeah, like they are giving away a F'ing hummer (one option) just b/c you filled out a piece of paper! Always read the fine print on any contest that you enter!
I remember once we got our long distance carrier changed by one of those car giveaway contests... :angry:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
bushwacker said:
Cripes, that explains why I still get calls from the "Fraternal Brotherhood of Police" looking for handouts. It's funny when the wife answers the phone because she is mean to telemarketers. :D

Aside for that, we're on the list and don't get any sales calls.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
BMXPrincess06 said:
ok, i have been home for 10 min. and i have already recevied 5 telamarketer(sp?) phone calls, its not worth signing that stupid "do not call list" they call you even more....at least thats what i've heard....does the do not call list really work? let me know....thanks
I get them promptly at 6:00, they arent even human anymore, I get a machine on the other end, so its not even any fun to play dumb with them :(

Usually Phone companies and credit consolidation :D I use to give the credit consolidation people a huge runaround... I'd have them calling me at different numbers, mailing stuff out to wrong addresses... Id get their hopes way up about my huge credit card debt problem and then ask them if they could consolidate my 1 and only credit card at foleys with a balance of $6.00 on it. Its just no fun now that its all automated :(

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Despite the loopholes, do-not-call lists are great. I'm on both the national and Colorado lists, and my telemarketer calls have dropped from 5-10 a day down to 1-2 a week.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
It has worked really well for my house. Whats even more fun is reminding them of the penalties when they do call. It is less fun however when you realize that you are telling a girl scout how much they are going to be fined. Oops.

Clark Kent

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
Mpls
Back when I had a land line, I had the "special ring" dealy so you could make calls from friends or whatnot have a special ring. It came with the package but I never used it cus I thought it was silly. Soon I started to get frikin calls from TPC trying to get me to turn over to their long distance shtick and every time they would call the "super secret friend ring" would chime rather than the john doe ring..... :mad:

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
greenreese said:
HAHAHA the Luekemia guy called me twice yesterday and once a few days ago. He had this whole long speech that he said before I even said hello. I just waited and listened. He said something about 10 letters into neighborhood mailboxes. After he finished I said "Sorry can you repeat that please?". He went through the whoooooooole thing again, word for word as if he was reading a speech(which he probably was). Then I told him I was sorry and I didn't want it. He says, "I must not have explained myself correctly...." and repeats the second half of the speech... again...... I waited and listened. I then told him no again, and he tried to come up with some other crap. "NO, BYE!"

I don't know why everybody hates these people, I love them. They are so much fun to play with. Just be really polite and ask them to repeat everything, because they arn't going to hang up, they want to sell their crap. They will talk forever. I wish I could get more of them to call.

-dAn
Hahaha, I told the same person twice to F off today, and yes it was the luekemia, both times.