Quantcast

Do old tyres go off?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
So I've got an old part-worn Comp 32. Not been used for about 18-24 months since I switched to Maxxis. It's always been in a garage or cupboard, so hasn't been exposed to 2 years of sunlight. Reckon the rubber will still be ok, or will it just fall apart?

Am racing Fort William for the first time ever this weekend, and thought I'd sling it up front for a bit of confidence over the rocky bits. As I recall despite it's size it also rolls really well.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I ran a Tioga tire for a little while since I didn't have anything better. Ended up shearing quite a few knobs off. The tire was old, say 2000/99 ish, and sat mostly in the dark since then.

But.....that could have been because it's a **** tire.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Cheers Mark, never been before. My normal choice is 2.35 HRs, you don't think it's worth going up to even 2.5s?

As far as your reasoning goes - although it's pedally, it's fast and wide so I don't think a heavy tyre is a big disadvantage - rolling resistance is going to be more important than weight. Well, from what I've seen of the course on vids anyway, I'll know better when I walk it tomorrow :)

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
I would go for the 2.5 HRs, maybe at a slightly higher pressure than normal (depending on how hard you usually have them) as it's a llloooonnnnngggg way down if you puncture!

You used to see quite a lot of folk running big tyres there, but at the last SDA I didn't notice a single person running anything over a 2.5

When you get onto that bottom section you'll be thankful for the faster tyre - trust me ;)

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Aye, but I'm betting that a 2.8 Comp 32, however crazy it may seem, IS the faster tyre. I really should do some back-to-back tests on this sort of thing so I can speak with some authority instead of just guessing. They suck for getting up to speed, and not good on tight & twisty tracks due to all the direction changes, but they grip fine and they roll great. As I remember anyway.

As for pressures - how hard do you think? I normally hover between 25 & 30, was going to go for 35ish on the back? Harder still?

Gridds

Monkey
Dec 18, 2008
Great Britain
Whatever your choice is for Fort Bill... (have a good race Seb)...

I'd still be interested to know if old tyres 'go off' if kept in the dark?

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
i think you need to leave them in the elements for quite some time, before the start to perish. We have ones that have been in a bush for 15 years where i work, and the still work!!! lol but some of them are 10 foot tall and 3 to 4 inches thick..

LOL but im sure they will be fine!

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
The tire should be fine. If it was stored away from UV and chemicals there should be nothing to worry about. Give it a once-over for cracks or tears from before it was stored, but otherwise, enjoy it. Comp32 is a classic tire :)

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
When you get onto that bottom section you'll be thankful for the faster tyre - trust me ;)
****, yeah, I always wish I had a 2.1 on the rear @ 60psi by the tme I hit the motorway!

ps. Seb - mind those Global michies Martin Whiteley sold off in 2000 or what ever? (think you bought a hub?) I still have a couple left and they are still better than the Maxxis I usually run when it gets slippy. ;)

Last edited: