Quantcast

Do People Try to Impress You?

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
After a little night urban cruise, me and a buddy roll into a bar for a beer. Here's what unfolded:

Dude At Bar: Is there a bike ralley in town?
Me: Yea, it's the Tour de France.
Dude At Bar: I have a mountain bike.
Me: Great.
Dude At Bar: It's a Trek.
Dude At Bar: It cost a thousand dollars.
Dude At Bar: It's a Trek.
Me: What model?
Dude At Bar: I'm not sure.
Bartender: What can I get ya?
Me: Triple Jack & coke.

:clue:

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Stinky, you realize you are bieng an elitist snob don't you? Maybe he's just trying to strike up a conversation, maybe he likes you ;)

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Zark said:
Stinky, you realize you are bieng an elitist snob don't you? Maybe he's just trying to strike up a conversation, maybe he likes you ;)
I do realize that, but very often people have to start random conversations about bikes. OK you're in "the club" buddy, leave me alone. If we both have blue shirts on should I start a conversation about the fact that we both have blue shirts?

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Skookum said:
That's better than someone leaving a negative impression. Could be the guy comes up to you at the bar, farts, and leaves.
At least you know where that person stands, and that they know exactly what they're doing.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
stinkyboy said:
I do realize that, but very often people have to start random conversations about bikes. OK you're in "the club" buddy, leave me alone. If we both have blue shirts on should I start a conversation about the fact that we both have blue shirts?

I have a blue shirt. It is from the Gap. It cost me like $50.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Did his trek have "top of the line" parts?

I like to talk bikes with people, even if they know nothing. But it's sort of like talking cars or computers. If they don't know anything, that's cool. But if they don't know anything and they are an ass about it (as if they know EVERYTHING), that pisses me off.

I don't know everything there is to know, but I don't try to sound like I do either.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
stinkyboy said:
Mine's dark blue from Ralph Lauren and it was like $80!

Those are totally sweet. I was looking at a blue shirt the other day at Macy's for like $400, it had mother of pearl buttons, reinforced shoulders and everything.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
jimmydean said:
Did his trek have "top of the line" parts?
He wouldn't know.

jimmydean said:
I like to talk bikes with people, even if they know nothing.
I'll chat it up with beginners at the LBS if I can help, but I'm tired, sweaty and want a drink and not some nonsensical prattle with a stranger. I'm just sayin...

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
i allways like talking about bikes. allways try to be nice to new people too. what i dont like is the people who go in and buy a bike that costs upwards of 3k and you can tell by looking at them theyll only ride it for a month and then let it collect dust in the garage. thats a sad sad waste of good bike

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar

A tense moment, where a British officer looks over the crew of American merchantmen, supposedly searching for deserters from the Royal Navy. Deeply resented, Britain's overbearing impressment policy helped instigate the War of 1812. Image courtesy of Library of Congress.

Not since about 18 and 12.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
lovebunny said:
i allways like talking about bikes. allways try to be nice to new people too. what i dont like is the people who go in and buy a bike that costs upwards of 3k and you can tell by looking at them theyll only ride it for a month and then let it collect dust in the garage. thats a sad sad waste of good bike

There was a guy at my lbs that built up a Foes Fly, had it painted to match his Escalade (yes, the truck had spinners). He got everything the shop told him was the best and I doubt it ever got ridden. But it looked good as hell on top of the matching truck.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Everyone who rides seriously has to deal with the "I own a bike, too" chats.

What I hate is when I lock up one of my bikes and someone asks me how much is it worth? Uh, $4000 retail?

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
I was at the SST this summer putting my bike back in my car, and a girl (probably 10 years older than me too) came up to me and asked if I wanted to go riding sometime. I said sure, why not, and asked her what she rode, and she said she didn't know, but it was "like $3000 or something." I know your pain Stinky.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
best convo ever......

*resting bike against wall at attitash*
Stranger - "damn thats a sweet bike!"
Me - "thanks!"
Stranger - "if you dont mind me asking, how much did that thing cost?"
Me - "dont really know, i built it up and have upgraded it quite a bit"
Stranger - "so about how much you think you've put into it?"
Me - "id say about 4-5"
Stranger - "$400-500?!"
Me - "uhhhh.....add a zero to the end of that"
Stranger - *walks away*

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
When I am waiting to catch the train after school, I will have some jackass ask what I spent on my bike. I tell them "I got it at Costco, it was like $150 on sale or something..."

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
goodtobeIrie said:
I'll give ya a hint...you can find it in my profile on mtbr...too bad I use a different name...but one of the words on here is in it...:clue:
oh baby, this is like an x-rated of wheres waldo :rofl: