Quantcast

Do People Try to Impress You?

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
stinkyboy said:
After a little night urban cruise, me and a buddy roll into a bar for a beer. Here's what unfolded:

Dude At Bar: Is there a bike ralley in town?
Me: Yea, it's the Tour de France.
Dude At Bar: I have a mountain bike.
Me: Great.
Dude At Bar: It's a Trek.
Dude At Bar: It cost a thousand dollars.
Dude At Bar: It's a Trek.
Me: What model?
Dude At Bar: I'm not sure.
Bartender: What can I get ya?
Me: Triple Jack & coke.

:clue:
did you ask him if he took it off any sweet jumps?

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
brungeman said:
did you ask him if he took it off any sweet jumps?
Thank you for that. :rofl:

Anyone who rides a bike is alright by me. Poseurs with expensive bikes who don't ride ... well, they're a different story.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
When people see an obvious American with a sweet bike, they instantly start to explain that they used to go out with their bikes all the time. It's hard to not be a dick to them, because this gets annoying, and it happens everyday. I've found it's best to change the subject into more about their life. It's a good way to make some more friends, and after all, what else really matters in the long run?

Oh, I'd much rather have someone tell me they used to ride their sick bike 15 years ago than tell me they know of some killer jumps, then take me there, only to find they are tiny and a complete waste of a good, sunny, warm day. The very worst is turning down a solid XC ride, which almost never dissapoints, and then going to some lame jumps.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
The only time its awkward for me talking to people about bikes is when they don't know anything and want to upgrade some piece of junk they got at like target or something. Its hard to not come off as a dick and tell them the parts they would upgrade with are worth more than their bike, so I usually refer them to online places I frequent or my lbs. I usually say something like, unless you are really going to be serious about riding I'd just ride what you have and have fun...

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i think anytime you can talk a little about mt. biking to a newb it's a good thing.

Not saying this was the perfect time, person, place, or opportunity.

But being an ambassador and talking about mt. biking is what we do here. Alot of people talk about progressing this or advocating that....

In all honesty if you can directly or indirectly influence somebody to enjoy or enhance the mt. biking experience further. It's an honest kind of charity and it's simple and pure.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Dude at the Bar: "Hey I see you've got a bike there, I'm just getting started and am trying to meet some cool people that ride. I just got a Trek."

Stinky: "I've forgotten more about Treks than you will ever know. How dare you try to speak to me, maggot! Now please go away and die, I'm waiting for a pina colada."

:rolleyes:

I agree with Skookum 100%.

I have a buddy who rides a mid ninties rigid with a luggage rack with which he carries a gallon of tomato juice for trail fuel. He will go anywhere and try anything. He's short and tubby and neither fast nor slow, but he's stupid steady, uphill, downhill, same speed, never shifts. Over time I can't keep up with him.

Don't quite know what the point is, something about the bike not mattering and style not mattering and maybe that the idea's to ride, not to piss on somebody's leg while getting drunk.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Skookum said:
But being an ambassador and talking about mt. biking is what we do here. Alot of people talk about progressing this or advocating that....

In all honesty if you can directly or indirectly influence somebody to enjoy or enhance the mt. biking experience further. It's an honest kind of charity and it's simple and pure.
You know, doing the right thing is really boring. If Stink had written, "I had nice chat about bikes, local trails, and I invited him to my next ride", this thread would have gotten one reply congratulating him.

One time I invited a newb on a ride at China Camp. After we got to the top, I said why don't you follow me, and I went down the easy fireroad. I turned around and I realized he followed my friend on his Yeti DH-9 down the singletrack.

The newb survived by walking the entire way.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
goodtobeIrie said:
I'll give ya a hint...you can find it in my profile on mtbr...too bad I use a different name...but one of the words on here is in it...:clue:
There is no way you can protect yourself from StalkerN8...

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
johnbryanpeters said:
MisterClean said:
Yeah, like sharing tales of woe and death on the trail to frighten them into road biking. Wide eyes = one less dweeb on the trail that would have been in my way.
Even you were a grom at one point, amigo...
No way man. Clean is the fastest rider alive and is always right. Anybody who's on the trail with him should be killed in the face immediately because they aren't as good as him. :rolleyes:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
SilentJ said:
No way man. Clean is the fastest rider alive and is always right. Anybody who's on the trail with him should be killed in the face immediately because they aren't as good as him. :rolleyes:
If MisterClean met Chuck Norris in a fight, they would just bow because there could be no winner of this battle.

Actually MisterClean would wet his pants at the sight of even a Chuck Norris movie, but then brag about how he beat the sh*t out of Norris. Of course everyone knows Chuck Norris is unbeatable, so once again everyone would know MisterClean is full of sh*t. And p*ss as well.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
MisterClean said:
Yeah, like sharing tales of woe and death on the trail to frighten them into road biking. Wide eyes = one less dweeb on the trail that would have been in my way.
You see people come and you see people go. Whatever circles you run into you always can have an influence albeit large or miniscule... You can't recruit people you deem appropriate to mt. biking, therefore it behooves one to at least demonstrate thru whatever necessary medium to influence how you wish things could be.

This is not to say anyone has an obligation either. But my opinion stands. i am convinced the more the merrier, i could right a 10 page essay to expound on why i think this, but i don't want to give away that i have no life...

Judging people gets us nowhere. i'll always be inclusive, even to riders like SB. i may give him hell from time to time, but he organizes bikes built for charity. i've never done that.... So as such i didn't want to interject to bag on SB, but to offer a different perspective.

But hell i guess it's better if i just bag on SB then this thread will get more traffic....