Quantcast

Do Romic shocks still blow up?

Edvard

Chimp
Feb 4, 2004
Europe
Do they? Also the '04 version? Or should I drop the I-want-to-have-a-romic thought and go for a Swinger?

I'm looking for a shock that is meant for a dh-bike btw.

Thanks

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
I've blown up two swingers and zero romics...I think they are equal in terms of reliablity except Romic will take care of you ASAP at a National whereas Manitou will not.

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
Originally posted by Freak
All shocks blow up, none are perfect.
Just like some people are so strong they can single handedly rip a saddle off just removing a bike from a rack in the back of a u-haul...;)

k that was way off topic:p

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
Originally posted by neversummersnow
Just like some people are so strong they can single handedly rip a saddle off just removing a bike from a rack in the back of a u-haul...;)

k that was way off topic:p
:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

Hrelp

Chimp
Feb 23, 2004
Not sure if my Romic is blown or not but i can't get the rebound to slow down. I can't tell the difference if i crank the knob one way completely vs the next feels exactly the same...(redknob)

"I can't tell the difference if i crank the knob one way completely vs the next feels exactly the same...(redknob)"

The answer is yes....it is blown is some way internally. A member of our race team, who rides a new Turner, had the same problem with his Romic last race. Our local bike shop is returning it to Romic for an overhaul. Romic rebound controls are exceptional when they work and you can slow them down a whole lot when they are working properly. Send it back. Should be about two weeks though before you get it back.

clognot

Swine

Monkey
Jan 8, 2003
Alpharetta, Ga
this topic is hard for me to understand, there must be alot of varying variables in romics build process. with one rider, who never does drops or anything on his trial bike, has already sent it back 3 times within a year.

ive had a romic on my fly for almost 2 full dh seasons now, i am a very hard rider, and break things on a daily baisis. the romic has held up beatifully. i did a nice sized drop, in which i landed rear wheel heavy, it completely bottomed it out with 8 clicks of compression:eek: . there seem to be just as many i love romic stories as there are i hate romic stories.

i still refuse to bieleve highend companies like turner, dirtworks, karpiel, and foes...just to name a few...would sell thier frames with such a "crappy" shock. maybe they got a bad batch of some vidal internal parts...who knows?

Edvard

Chimp
Feb 4, 2004
Europe
Originally posted by Swine
this topic is hard for me to understand, there must be alot of varying variables in romics build process. with one rider, who never does drops or anything on his trial bike, has already sent it back 3 times within a year.

ive had a romic on my fly for almost 2 full dh seasons now, i am a very hard rider, and break things on a daily baisis. the romic has held up beatifully. i did a nice sized drop, in which i landed rear wheel heavy, it completely bottomed it out with 8 clicks of compression:eek: . there seem to be just as many i love romic stories as there are i hate romic stories.

i still refuse to bieleve highend companies like turner, dirtworks, karpiel, and foes...just to name a few...would sell thier frames with such a "crappy" shock. maybe they got a bad batch of some vidal internal parts...who knows?
You hit the nail on the head.. that's why I started this topic ;)

If anyone has / has had the chance to test the new '04 Romic I would like to know if there are still problems with them.. and especially for DH- use.

thx

Hrelp

Chimp
Feb 23, 2004
Wow thanks for the info! I too ride a 04 DHR and I havn't even had any time to beat it up yet. Wonder if they could bill me for a new shock and credit me back once they get mine. Downtime sucks when summers here and your trying to learn your new frame.
Originally posted by clognot
"I can't tell the difference if i crank the knob one way completely vs the next feels exactly the same...(redknob)"

The answer is yes....it is blown is some way internally. A member of our race team, who rides a new Turner, had the same problem with his Romic last race. Our local bike shop is returning it to Romic for an overhaul. Romic rebound controls are exceptional when they work and you can slow them down a whole lot when they are working properly. Send it back. Should be about two weeks though before you get it back.

clognot

dirtyj

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
austin
yes I have had my shock blow up on me. Something to do with the compression knob not sealing. I called up romic that day and had the shock sent to them overnight. He recieved it that next day and got right on it. He even called me up to ask how I would wont it set up internally. The guys at romic are the sheit. They had my shock to me in and out in 5 days. He even called me that next day to ask if I got the shock and how it feels. I give mad props to the romic guys. O did I tell u that it only cost me overnight shipping on a 1.2lb shock. I think I came out to $30 on my part.