Quantcast

Do they (hardware store) sell powdercoat paint in a can???

dude, powder coat isn't a paint.

remember when you were in art class in elementary school, and you all made some little crappy pots, and glazed them. Well, its more like that glaze, but not quite. So no, you cant powder coat out of a can, but there probally is an motorcycle or import car hop-up shop near you that can powder coat or knows someone who can.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
A friend of mine and I bought a kit from Harbor Freight Tools for $70 that includes everything you need to do your own powder jobs. We then bought an old oven from a scrap yard to put in the shop and do all our own parts for cheap. You can use the oven in your house, but it kinda stinks and my wife would kill me :)

P

peewee

Originally posted by ChrisRobin
Just curious...thanks!
To powdercoat something you have to magnetically charge the metal so the powder will stick to the metal. Just listen to the name POWDER coat, it's a powder not a liquid paint. And if the powder coat is done right it's indestructable. I watched a guy take a hammer to a powder coated gas tank and the paint wouldn't chip at all. So if you have a bike that says it's powder coated and the paint's chipped off it's not powder coated at all.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Chip resistant but still scratch and gouge(sp?) prone.......my Rotec gets some pretty gnarly scratches........but it has probably fared better than being painted normally.

greasemonkey

Chimp
Jul 4, 2001
WA
powder coats are not the same as ceramic glaze. glaze is mineral-based, and at super-high heats in a kiln, actually turns into a thin layer of glass on the outside of the ceramic piece. (hence the name).

powder coats come in many varieties, ranging from soft epoxy-based ones to quite hard polyester-based compounds, and others with many different properties. they're very similar to paint, except they don't use a solvent to suspend the material. that means they can incorporate materials that don't "spray" well. epoxy offers the best corrosion prevention, but it most easily scratched. polyester has some of the best hardness. none of them are as glossy as a good wet paint. all of them are quite chip-resistant. you can even get Hammerite powder-coat, which is virtually identical to the wet paint version - and equally ugly. they don't take nearly as long to cure though, and if they use a more flexible base material, are very chip resistant.

al frames can usually only get a low-temp powder coat job without screwing up the heat treating. so, many al frames with a powder coat end up scratching and dulling rather easily.

one of the best and toughest paint jobs i've got, was an electrostatic wet-paint job. it's like a combination of the two processes. tough like a powder coat, and very thin and hard, but way glossier.

Taz

Monkey
Sep 22, 2001
Granite, lots of granite
Originally posted by jimmydean
A friend of mine and I bought a kit from Harbor Freight Tools for $70 that includes everything you need to do your own powder jobs. We then bought an old oven from a scrap yard to put in the shop and do all our own parts for cheap. You can use the oven in your house, but it kinda stinks and my wife would kill me :)
you CANNOT use your home oven. you must use an oven that will never be used for food again!!!

Powdercoating leaves chemical residues inside the oven which are toxic!