Quantcast

do they make a Really StRoNg 29ER rim

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
I'm wondering if any company is making DH/FR capable 29ER rims and I guess also tyres...

I just want to play and see the advantage (or lack off) of running a 29Er wheel, specially on my tandem since i keep getting stock on rutts and rock gardens..oviuslly is very dificult to lift the front wheel and impossible to "Manual" or even pop a wheellie.

basically i'm just wondering what will happend if I run a big A^^ tyre on my Funn20Mm rigid fork and on some suspension forks too.

thanks In advance as ussual.

if anybody try this before please state your Impressions

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't you need a 29er compatible frame and fork. If your tandem is like 99% of 26" wheeled bikes, a 29" wheel won't fit.

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
Discostu said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't you need a 29er compatible frame and fork. If your tandem is like 99% of 26" wheeled bikes, a 29" wheel won't fit.
You are "Somehow" right..

the Funn 200MM fork I have on the bike features more than suffient room for a much taller tyre

is kind of difficult to see on the picture but i still have about two inches of space on the fork even running a 2.8 tyre so i think i be fine

plus the head angle steering is not going to be affect that much since the wheel base is so so long.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
kk 29 inch wheels.... there fun they roll over stuff Very well but there flexy and limited supply on rims and Tires.... most max at a 2.4... theyll fold on ya if you tangle them in some nice rocks just do to the long A$$ spokes on it.... there taller than Road tires...... i fyour gonna go 29 Try to get a hub with the Largest flange possible... cant remember the name of it but there was one with a 6 inch flange out for a while........ Food for thought the GF 29er was designed for light xc use
________
VAPORITE AROMATHERAPY VAPORIZER INSTRUCTIONS

Last edited:

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
DirtyMike said:
kk 29 inch wheels.... there fun they roll over stuff Very well but there flexy and limited supply on rims and Tires.... most max at a 2.4... theyll fold on ya if you tangle them in some nice rocks just do to the long A$$ spokes on it.... there taller than Road tires...... i fyour gonna go 29 Try to get a hub with the Largest flange possible... cant remember the name of it but there was one with a 6 inch flange out for a while........ Food for thought the GF 29er was designed for light xc use

that is being my impression so far,,all the rims and tyres are skinny and weak, but every day i see the rims getting bigger and stronger, so i was wonder after interbike if any body saw a "Brand New" model somewere.

so far I use Hope Big-ums lace 5 cross with exlent results, but I agree the much taller rim is going to make for a far weaker wheel...

reason why I need a "Massive" (double wall type wide and pretty strong) so the wheel can take the pounding..

actually this will not be use for super heavy riding so the wheel does not need to be as bulletprof as the 26".

thanks for all the advice..

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
you c an get a rhyno light in a 29er rim, also, alex TD17 are pretty beefy. The problem is tires, the biggest 29er tirew available right now is a WTB exiwolf 2.3, and it no where near a DH tire.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
there are many limitations to the 29 wheel system, as mentioned above. what about buying a beefy front suspension fork w/ a 20mm axle? besides letting you roll over rocks better, this would also give you much better steering and braking traction on the descents than a rigid fork.

also, can you post add'l pics of yer bike? it appears to sport both v-brake and disk brakes, via 4 brake levers.

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
frorider said:
there are many limitations to the 29 wheel system, as mentioned above. what about buying a beefy front suspension fork w/ a 20mm axle? besides letting you roll over rocks better, this would also give you much better steering and braking traction on the descents than a rigid fork.
Oh man that will be to EASY...:)

actually Telescopic forks don't work to well on tandems since the bike arquitecture places so much mass over the front wheel (the whole captain weight is over the front axle) so you need to run a really sprung coil on the fork, besides telescopic design react to forces really close to the contact patch of the tyre.

with that in mind I'm
Currentlly exploring a few diferent alternatives of suspension designs that can provide far more apropiate suspension for tandem needs since they can "Climp" over things far easier, remaind active but still have more AntiDive than a convensional telescopic fork this is very important for pedaling efficiency and over all control

First..Ussing a Sidecar type front end, like the one my friend Scott made for his dakar-dakar sidecar (I was soppose to be his "Monkey" for the dakar rally last year but I did not have the "Balls" plus the sponsors never came togheter)

Hey if it works for a 150Hp 800pound beast at a 120MpH in the dirt i think will work for the tandem ,oviuslly making one that fits the scale,, the problem with them is that they are pretty heavy and complex...Oh really..

Or making "leading link" design base on the fantastic mert lawill fork design (sorry i can not find a foto for reference but is a great concept..) that I can make much lighter and features pretty good steering feedback with great suspension perfomance.

another posibility is to implement a Hozack sistem, kind of like the megacheppo forks on the proflex's but this time made right.

this is part of the BMW K1200RS

the last of this is to use a "A-arm" type like on my Golem BMW race bike but then i will need to make a whole frame for it Since the pivot location require a very diferent set up

the design Works great in terms of Antidive (I think necesary for the tandem performance)

As you can tell i'm still exploring alternatives, each of them have advantages but also shortcomings, i just need to figure out the best compromise and them make it happend..
the other "Option" in terms of mitigating pain is to use one of the stems made by my friend JPMorgen

also, can you post add'l pics of yer bike? it appears to sport both v-brake and disk brakes, via 4 brake levers.
oh you want to see fotos,,,well you are in luck, Here is the Whole gallery
and a few pictures just in case.

at the same time tandems suck in terms of frnt suspension they rule because they are almost "Unflipable" so you can have all the brakes you ever want

so far I did a two feet high stoopie with a 130 stocker(sorry no foto i was a Little Bussy to be taking pictures)
in reallity I was more worry about the Fork "Folding" on me than flipping the bike over.

Big tyres are Fun,,as long as you don't need to pedal i guess.

Thanks for all the advice and questions looks like we are going somewere, for me this projects are Fun, since I get tyred of working on my motorcycles all the time.

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
Fulton said:
you c an get a rhyno light in a 29er rim, also, alex TD17 are pretty beefy. The problem is tires, the biggest 29er tirew available right now is a WTB exiwolf 2.3, and it no where near a DH tire.
Cool thanks for the info..

2.3 is not so bad at least for heavy singletrack use, plus i have some connection with WTB to get a few "Samples"

thanks

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
i've never paid much attention to the various front forks used on mtb tandems, but you do see them e.g. from cannondale.

these days there are some pretty burly air-sprung front forks, which would allow you to run a very high spring rate (you might want to upgrade the seals e.g. via PUSH, and modify the rebound damping).

i understand and appreciate the anti-dive mechanical designs, but on a modern telescopic fork you can get various types of platform compression damping behavior.

however from the looks of your bike you're not looking for a simple solution i.e. you enjoy the challenge.

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
frorider said:
i've never paid much attention to the various front forks used on mtb tandems, but you do see them e.g. from cannondale.

these days there are some pretty burly air-sprung front forks, which would allow you to run a very high spring rate (you might want to upgrade the seals e.g. via PUSH, and modify the rebound damping).
yes I know about them, but also as you say they are base on high sprung sistems, heavy oils, etc.
the problem with all of them is that they require a certain attach angle to work, remenber on a single bike you can weight transfer very easy and lift the front wheel at comand, on a tandem no matter how good you are is almost impossible, yes it can be done but not every time to make it fool proof
i understand and appreciate the anti-dive mechanical designs, but on a modern telescopic fork you can get various types of platform compression damping behavior.
I will love to learn more about them, do you have expecific models or sites to explore..???
however from the looks of your bike you're not looking for a simple solution i.e. you enjoy the challenge.
you are right again on that one,,I do like to play, hell this is my hobby and how I have fun, sometimes more making and building the bikes than riding them.

I do apreciate efficiency and elegance so i don't want something overweight for no reason.
for example for the tandem I have 4 forks with specific wheels from full street with really light components and a really low crown to axle rate to the 20MM funn fork and hopefully some day a nice and efficient shock absorver

anyway thanks again for all your Interesting points and information, for sure this site is extremlly helpful when you get to comunicate with the proper people

Ricky

El Caballo

Chimp
Nov 21, 2004
East Bay, West Coast
The burliest 700c rim right now is the Kris Holm unicycle rim. It's 38mm wide...that ought to be enough!

www.krisholm.com

I've seen the writeup -- Lance Canfield loves the 29" wheels, and he did about a 20' huck on a 29er Lenz Behemoth (5" travel) with the Kris Holm rims -- but the tires aren't there yet for DH or FR. The biggest rubber you can get is a 2.3" WTB Exiwolf, which doesn't cut it.

Rumors keep flying about a larger tire, but nothing yet.

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
El Caballo said:
The burliest 700c rim right now is the Kris Holm unicycle rim. It's 38mm wide...that ought to be enough!

www.krisholm.com

I've seen the writeup -- Lance Canfield loves the 29" wheels, and he did about a 20' huck on a 29er Lenz Behemoth (5" travel) with the Kris Holm rims -- but the tires aren't there yet for DH or FR. The biggest rubber you can get is a 2.3" WTB Exiwolf, which doesn't cut it.

Rumors keep flying about a larger tire, but nothing yet.
Wow Cool

thanks for the Link..
do you know were can i find this famous "Canfield" report on the 29er bike..?

thanks again