Quantcast

Do tyre beads get damaged?

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Long story short. I got over zealous with the compressor on a tubeless tyre that refused to seat. It finally went, I thought to myself, "I'll add a bit more for good measure", tyre explodes off the rim. Car alarms going off everywhere, people screaming, dogs barking etc etc etc. I was at a gas station in the middle of a shopping mall. My ears have just stopped ringing after three days...

Anyway, whilst out riding last night I landed a drop onto a slimey rock face, on which it's difficult to control speed at the best of times. As I landed, the (same, as I was able to reseat it and inflate it fine) tyre burst off the rim, leaving me with no rear wheel traction and the only option of abandoning the bike and taking my chances running down the rock face. Not an all together pleasurable experience.

The bead LOOKS fine and, as I say, it held air fine for a few days. It's a non-UST tyre with Stans. I've burped similar tyres before but this was simply the pressure forcing it off. I've never managed to blow one off as I did in the gas station. I wonder if this particular tyre is just a bit of a loose fit?

I really do wonder why I persevere with tubeless. I'm pretty sure it's nothing but my own stubbornness and the fact I have an 823 rim that keeps me going.

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I have but one suggestion: tubes.

No really though, beads can wear out (or just be defective). I had a BAD experience at Mammoth last year where a Michelin 2.8 burst off the rim as I pushed down and applied some front brake on the fastest section of Kamikaze, and I had about a half second to jam my foot into the pumice along the side and dive off the bike. After a nice longass walk back down to the lodge, the bead would no longer even go on the rim, like the wheel would just pass through the tire without touching it. Michelin did refund me what I paid for the tire with zero hassle though, so I can't hold too much against them, but it was scary as fvck.

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
The bead is probably stretched enough that I wouldn't run it tubeless. If you throw a tube in it should hold onto the rim ok.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
I have but one suggestion: tubes.

No really though, beads can wear out (or just be defective). I had a BAD experience at Mammoth last year where a Michelin 2.8 burst off the rim as I pushed down and applied some front brake on the fastest section of Kamikaze, and I had about a half second to jam my foot into the pumice along the side and dive off the bike. After a nice longass walk back down to the lodge, the bead would no longer even go on the rim, like the wheel would just pass through the tire without touching it. Michelin did refund me what I paid for the tire with zero hassle though, so I can't hold too much against them, but it was scary as fvck.
Holy Ballz!

The SAME exact thing happend with the same exact tire to a teammate of mine. He was running a Michi Comp 32 2.8 in the rear at Mt. Snow a few years ago and it just exploded off the rim through a blown-out whoop section. Same deal - the tire looked like Paris Hilton's vagina - totally stretched out and worthless. He even had saved the tire and showed it to me - it was like someone stretched it out with a car jack - the entire rim could pass through the center of the tire and barely touch the bead...

Yup - once the bead is stretched out - either from general wear and tear OR from catastrophic failure as given in the 2 previous examples - the tire is pretty much toast - esp. in UST/tubeless set-ups.

*Note: When running a UST or Tubeless set up (standard tire with Stans) it is best NOT to frequently change the tire in favor of a different tread for different conditions. Once you seat the tire and bead it up - leave it alone. By pulling the tire on and off the rim you are stretching the bead and weakening the seal that your UST / Tubeless set-up depends upon.

Hope this helps.