Quantcast

Do we have a chainsaw thread?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Let me qualify my comment. If there is something sketchy and dangerous to remove. Folks will gladly hand me their chainsaw. Offer no input to attain the goal or objective. Or just walk away like somehow I am qualified to handle the situation. Often times I feel pressured to complete said task and get in way over my head. I blame all of you for my failures....

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
We have some trails that were recently "pre commercial thinned" and need to be cleared of a lot of trees from 1" to about 8" diameter. I was hoping to not use a gas saw for a number of reasons (fire danger, noise, very tight quarters, etc.). I bought a Silky Big Boy and am very impressed. Not nearly as fast as a gas saw, but does a great job limbing and cutting in tight quarters. Made several relatively big cuts and I thought they went very fast - well less than a minute to get through an 8" trunk.

We have some trails that were recently "pre commercial thinned" and need to be cleared of a lot of trees from 1" to about 8" diameter. I was hoping to not use a gas saw for a number of reasons (fire danger, noise, very tight quarters, etc.). I bought a Silky Big Boy and am very impressed. Not nearly as fast as a gas saw, but does a great job limbing and cutting in tight quarters. Made several relatively big cuts and I thought they went very fast - well less than a minute to get through an 8" trunk.
One of my go-to tools...

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I have a Big Boy and a Katanaboy 500. Would like to get one of their pole saws.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Is that saw rated for an 18" bar? What size batteries are available for it? The Stihl ones look real nice, but the longest bar is only 14".
No, it's only designed for the 16" it comes with, but I found this 18" at Home Depot and it fits, so why not. Greenworks does make another saw that comes with an 18" bar, but that came out maybe a year after I bought mine and is a different battery system. https://www.greenworkstools.com/shop-by-tool/chainsaws/80v-18inch-cordless-brushless-chainsaw-kit-121

In regards to sharpening does anyone recommend a sharpening system that can fit in a Camelbak?
A file will easily fit in a Camelback, but I've never needed to sharpen it on the trail and stopped bringing one. I do occasionally bring an extra bar and chain for challenging situations in case I get it stuck.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
No, it's only designed for the 16" it comes with, but I found this 18" at Home Depot and it fits, so why not. Greenworks does make another saw that comes with an 18" bar, but that came out maybe a year after I bought mine and is a different battery system. https://www.greenworkstools.com/shop-by-tool/chainsaws/80v-18inch-cordless-brushless-chainsaw-kit-121

A file will easily fit in a Camelback, but I've never needed to sharpen it on the trail and stopped bringing one. I do occasionally bring an extra bar and chain for challenging situations in case I get it stuck.
Do you not get rocks up in the center of tree trunks or is that just another weird Australian thing?

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Do you not get rocks up in the center of tree trunks or is that just another weird Australian thing?
LOL WUT? No, I've never had that happen.

re: katanaboy 1000: holy shit the price.
Haha yeah, for that price I'll take 2 battery chainsaws over one of those. Don't get me wrong I love my Silky saw for stuff up to 6-8", but the Katanboy 1000 doesn't even seem practical for a lot of situations that I use my chainsaw for.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
explain yourself.
I come across rocks inside the trunks up to 4ft from the old ground level , trees seem to get voids in them as they grow in diameter and it squashes rocks in to the heartwood area, well I'd assume that's what happens.....?
It's really annoying as some of our trees are hard enough as it is and I am useless at chain sharpening.
I did buy an EZE Lap sharpener thingy and after using it the saw wouldn't cut straight, turned out it had been stamped poorly and the angles weren't right, now I have four chains and I take 'em to the guy.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I come across rocks inside the trunks up to 4ft from the old ground level , trees seem to get voids in them as they grow in diameter and it squashes rocks in to the heartwood area, well I'd assume that's what happens.....?
It's really annoying as some of our trees are hard enough as it is and I am useless at chain sharpening.
I did buy an EZE Lap sharpener thingy and after using it the saw wouldn't cut straight, turned out it had been stamped poorly and the angles weren't right, now I have four chains and I take 'em to the guy.
Never heard of it, but then again that makes sense with everything else about Australia, harder just because.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I have a Stihl MS171, I think I paid $179 for it. Nice cheap saw, light weight, starts easy but it does lack power for larger stuff. Thought about the FarmBoss as well or a comparable Echo. I have a Echo PB-2620 leaf blower that I am very pleased with.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I find that new chains are worth the expense. I try to keep an extra one on hand. My brother agrees except for the part about keeping an extra one on hand. Getting the same saw as him was probably not a good idea in hindsight.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
We have a cray-cray for chainsaws trail steward who clears the CDT from Yellowstone to Monida Pass every year.

He fabricates chainsaw scabbards for fat bikes:

116853432_10221731057847299_2825251871936561200_n.jpg

He's been clearing one section with the Backcountry Horseman who will schlepp the chainsaws up to the top of the Mile Creek (AKA "the goods") and then the fat bikers sawyers and other bikers / swampers fan out and clear every trail in the Lionhead over a weekend in July.

1639635539099.png

Blah, blah, blah, meh:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Nope. Base/roots possibly... I just carry a spare chain or two...
I do this too. 3 spare chains and if I have to sharpen then some fresh files and stump vise are nice to have.

Being able to throw in a pack would be pretty slick.
I used to ride a fair bit with a Husky 357xp in my pack. The backpacks with beaver tail flaps for climbing rope or snowboards worked the best. It gets tricky when you have a pick, shovel, chainsaw and gas but we made it work. Strap ‘‘em down tight and you can still ride pretty good as long as it’s mostly downhill.

This was all a long time ago. My back wouldn’t like that today.

FA4576F5-F460-4559-9345-4592557FAA10.jpeg

640DD94B-E142-4AFE-A54E-EEA6A7D61B17.jpeg
4C4E2D0F-D120-4168-A74B-78E61E64A23D.jpeg

gonefirefightin

free wieners
My dad has the stihl version and I wasnt impressed, The recip saws are junk and literally depend on a 40 blade and they still cut slow as hell, but I also own several of the most expensive Milwaukee batteries that were 4 times the size of the stihl batteries, tool only was a mere 180 bucks so I wont be out much if it isnt that impressive but all the vids online seem to crown it the king for the lil guys.

Some days just dont require a regular chainsaw due to the amount of peeps handy or just a brushing mission.