Quantcast

Do we have a chainsaw thread?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I'm thinking I want to buy one of these, they are pretty expensive here though.
So, has anybody used one?

gonefirefightin

free wieners

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I just carry extra chains and have them sharpened at a shop.
That's what I did but my local shop started returning chains with dags on them, no radius in the gullet and they looked like they'd been overheated.
Next shop is a bit further away so I'd like to sharpen at home.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I learned to sharpen chains when bucking huge logs that got dragged through rocks and mud. Gravel smooshed into bark really takes the edge of a sharp chain. In the end I had 4 chains and would resharpen at lunch. It was nicer to sharpen at night and at lunch than in a hurry. I never got used to the guides and liked to change raker height depending.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I ordered the chain mincer thing I post, sorta because I felt sorry for the makers that there are so many Cheap copies pretending to be the same thing.
People suck, come up with your own damn idea then make something.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I haven't ever had to cut a tree down in suburbia, heard someone yell "What was that?!". Hahaha!
I have to get this thing gone before the bush regen people come out for a site visit, to get free plants I have to abide by their safety conscious rules.
I was just going to trim a few branches but I put a metal playlist on and before I knew it the tree was down.
P_20220312_174347.jpg

Stupid Liquid Ambers wipe out all the understory plants, sadly the other one is too close to overhead powerlines to be dropped by me.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I didn't really know what to expect in regards to battery life but I did all this and some other small pieces that had already been removed off one battery, but it was very close to dead at the end.
P_20220313_140043.jpg

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I didn't really know what to expect in regards to battery life but I did all this and some other small pieces that had already been removed off one battery, but it was very close to dead at the end.
View attachment 173373
I've always thought for trailside large tree removal it'd be way better to drill a hole, insert a stick of dynamite, light fuse, run away...

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I've always thought for trailside large tree removal it'd be way better to drill a hole, insert a stick of dynamite, light fuse, run away...
What's the stuff that burns super hot?
I remember Mythbusters using some but can't think of the name.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I have a Poulan chainsaw. I bought it at Garage sale for $40 about 20 years ago. Works like a champ. Fires up every time. Never did a thing to it.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
In the market for some pants now, as I have a ton of deadfall clearing to do in the backyard. Anyone have experience with Husqvarna Classics?

Don't need anything super featured, but will be prioritizing pants over chaps, as recommended in this thread.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I have Husky pants, I really can’t remember the model of them. But I have had zero issues other than they are a little short. I usually wear them tucked into tall rubber boots so it is not an issue.
aside from the length, any issues quality wise? these were on my radar as they are a fair bit less expensive than the stihl ones

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
aside from the length, any issues quality wise? these were on my radar as they are a fair bit less expensive than the stihl ones
No, I’ve had this pair 3 years probably? I am in no means a professional but they get worn 5-6 times a month. Good sized pockets, I can fit 6 wedges. The backs of the legs are quite thin so they are almost bearable in the summer. Still hot af but better than an er trip.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Bought a set last night through treestuff.com. With their 15% coupon they worked out to $135 shipped.

Thought it was interesting to see that neither chaps nor pants protect as well when using battery powered saws, but its better than nothing right? Lucky for me I only have a gasser at this point.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Bought a set last night through treestuff.com. With their 15% coupon they worked out to $135 shipped.

Thought it was interesting to see that neither chaps nor pants protect as well when using battery powered saws, but its better than nothing right? Lucky for me I only have a gasser at this point.
More injuries have been from battery saws since peeps dont take them as seriously.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
More injuries have been from battery saws since peeps dont take them as seriously.
Something something about their power curves being different too, so the fibers won't clog up and stall the saw as fast as they do with gas. Makes enough sense.

But yea, those cute little 12" bar Dewalts they sell at Home Depot don't seem to command the same level of respect as your average gas saw.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I'm definitely no lumberjack. I have an electric Ryobi and gear up in chaps and boots if I need to use it for anything.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Something something about their power curves being different too, so the fibers won't clog up and stall the saw as fast as they do with gas. Makes enough sense.

But yea, those cute little 12" bar Dewalts they sell at Home Depot don't seem to command the same level of respect as your average gas saw.
When I was still teaching the S-212 powersaw courses it was in bulletins that stated the weight, size and torque made them more apt to injury and improper use and respect than traditional saws. More folks are apt to use it one handed and rush cuts than with a proper two handed cut. Not to mention the chain gauge is significantly smaller thus making the kevlar less effective in binding the chain.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
When I was still teaching the S-212 powersaw courses it was in bulletins that stated the weight, size and torque made them more apt to injury and improper use and respect than traditional saws. More folks are apt to use it one handed and rush cuts than with a proper two handed cut. Not to mention the chain gauge is significantly smaller thus making the kevlar less effective in binding the chain.
Thanks for ruining my dream of chainsaw hands.

For real though, I'd love to take that class, even though I'll never ever be any in any of the positions that course is designed to educate. What can I say, I like being safe and I like knowing things.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

For real though, I'd love to take that class, even though I'll never ever be any in any of the positions that course is designed to educate. What can I say, I like being safe and I like knowing things.
let's be honest, its probably way more interesting than your job

gonefirefightin

free wieners

I think the most beneficial part of the course isnt falling techniques or even saw maintenance, its the bucking portion since it teaches one to "read" the binds, twists and loadings of a log and how to properly make your cuts with out any energy being released and causing injury or pinching a saw.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
let's be honest, its probably way more interesting than your job
I just rejected a change order cause someone didn't update the model/drawing to depict a torx fastener instead of a Phillips. Don't tell me my job isn't interesting.

I think the most beneficial part of the course isnt falling techniques or even saw maintenance, its the bucking portion since it teaches one to "read" the binds, twists and loadings of a log and how to properly make your cuts with out any energy being released and causing injury or pinching a saw.
That's what I need, and thanks for passing that course along. I have dozens of blowdowns on my property that need to be cleared, and probably a dozen trees that need to be felled. Everything from 8" diameter 20' trees to some 24" diameter 60'. Luckily my wife knows an arborist, so he'll be over to help with any climbing needs.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I just rejected a change order cause someone didn't update the model/drawing to depict a torx fastener instead of a Phillips. Don't tell me my job isn't interesting.

That's what I need, and thanks for passing that course along. I have dozens of blowdowns on my property that need to be cleared, and probably a dozen trees that need to be felled. Everything from 8" diameter 20' trees to some 24" diameter 60'. Luckily my wife knows an arborist, so he'll be over to help with any climbing needs.
peeps tend to pay attention and be diligent when falling and even more so when the diameter increases, but the majority of injuries result during limbing and bucking due to letting their guard down and not reading the binds.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
peeps tend to pay attention and be diligent when falling and even more so when the diameter increases, but the majority of injuries result during limbing and bucking due to letting their guard down and not reading the binds.
This is apparent when folks bring their saws to trail days. Someone is always hopelessly bound in a small deadfall.
I have to assume there's more to it than just keeping wedges on hand to make sure your cut doesn't close up. Care to expound?