Quantcast

Do we have a chainsaw thread?

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I have to assume there's more to it than just keeping wedges on hand to make sure your cut doesn't close up. Care to expound?
Any time you buck it is a 3 part cut. Step one, off side, step two, bind side, step three, release cut. Most peeps just dive right in from the top down and if you are completely flat that is fine but no log is ever flat.

First off, you always cut from the top of the log and the uphill side, you then cut the backside as far as possible so you can finish on the log closest to you and use only the tip of the bar to distance yourself in case of movement. then you cut out the bind. this is the part that most peeps miss or cant read, if your log is presenting a belly where the bind is on the top you make a Kerf across the top to create a hinge for it to drop straight down when you come in and finish with your under cut from the bottom up since the kerf will open as you bring your cut up from the bottom. It may be a 3 part process but a good cutter will make it look like one fluid motion.

Wedges are for falling, not for bucking.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
20220425_131117_copy_1612x763.jpg

Well, new saw in the arsenal. Was looking at some of the trees in the backyard and my MS251 w/ 18" bar wasn't gonna do it. So in with the MS391 w/ 25" bar. Contemplated the MS362, but it was a $200 difference and I don't really need that level of saw.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
View attachment 175509

Well, new saw in the arsenal. Was looking at some of the trees in the backyard and my MS251 w/ 18" bar wasn't gonna do it. So in with the MS391 w/ 25" bar. Contemplated the MS362, but it was a $200 difference and I don't really need that level of saw.
Turns out I did myself a dirty. Had some buyers remorse, so I exchanged the 391 for a 362CM. The pro level saw is a lot more rebuildable and robust than the mid-grade, so it seemed a bit shortsighted not to spend the difference and end up with a saw that should last for long time.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Turns out I did myself a dirty. Had some buyers remorse, so I exchanged the 391 for a 362CM. The pro level saw is a lot more rebuildable and robust than the mid-grade, so it seemed a bit shortsighted not to spend the difference and end up with a saw that should last for long time.
can i ask what they ran you? the one trail network i help maintain has a lot of old growth trees, and there's often need for something with a 36" bar.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
can i ask what they ran you? the one trail network i help maintain has a lot of old growth trees, and there's often need for something with a 36" bar.
391 with a 25" was $650, 362 with a 25" was $850. Thats the longest bar recommended for each of those saws. If you need a 36", you'd be looking at a 462, 500i, or 881, all of which are going to be significantly larger and more expensive.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
391 with a 25" was $650, 362 with a 25" was $850. Thats the longest bar recommended for each of those saws. If you need a 36", you'd be looking at a 462, 500i, or 881, all of which are going to be significantly larger and more expensive.
I'm aware, last time I looked into it I think the 462 was around a grand.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
Curious on that decision? Not questioning the badassery known as a 362 but I will say the mid level saws are quite stout.

@jonKranked I bought a China 660 clone saw then replaced all high wear items with Stihl parts and had the head ported and polished. It runs my 56” mill easily. I had around $1,100 in it with the engine mods.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
@jonKranked I bought a China 660 clone saw then replaced all high wear items with Stihl parts and had the head ported and polished. It runs my 56” mill easily. I had around $1,100 in it with the engine mods.
more effort than i'm willing to put into it tbh. also no need to run a mill. i've seen them before though, they are pretty cool.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Curious on that decision? Not questioning the badassery known as a 362 but I will say the mid level saws are quite stout.

From the bit of reading I did, the differences are: 362 has an all metal case, mtronic onboard computer, is ~1.5 lbs lighter, has 0.2 hp more, and has a sleeved engine. It's a lot easier to rebuild the saw should the occasion arise (so they say). Seemed like some decent benefits for a fairly small additional sum.

The 391 isn't bad saw, per se, but its more of a "disposable" saw. And there's nothing I hate more than having to throw a tool (well, any item really) away because its reached its designed life and isn't feasible to service.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Something something about their power curves being different too, so the fibers won't clog up and stall the saw as fast as they do with gas. Makes enough sense.

But yea, those cute little 12" bar Dewalts they sell at Home Depot don't seem to command the same level of respect as your average gas saw.
I was shocked at how long the chain keeps spinning after you release the trigger, I thought it would have been electrically braked like drills and grinders.
It still has a brake like a real saw but I don't think it has a centri clutch so I don't understand why it needs to run on for so long.
It does make me take the saw seriously, as serious as an Australian can take something bitey anyways.

EDIT- I like the Timberline sharpener, I don't mind looking like I am jerking myself off at a table for a good few minutes.
The price difference between a real one and a clone is pretty crazy though.
3524033923459092179.jpg

Last edited:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I was shocked at how long the chain keeps spinning after you release the trigger, I thought it would have been electrically braked like drills and grinders.
It still has a brake like a real saw but I don't think it has a centri clutch so I don't understand why it needs to run on for so long.
It does make me take the saw seriously, as serious as an Australian can take something bitey anyways.

EDIT- I like the Timberline sharpener, I don't mind looking like I am jerking myself off at a table for a good few minutes.
The price difference between a real one and a clone is pretty crazy though.
View attachment 176902
$125 sounds like a lot, until you consider a single size Stihl file and guide is $50. If you've got a couple of saws in the stable with different sized chains, as I do, that $125 doesn't look so bad.

Does that just file the teeth or does it file down the rakers to match too?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
$125 sounds like a lot, until you consider a single size Stihl file and guide is $50. If you've got a couple of saws in the stable with different sized chains, as I do, that $125 doesn't look so bad.

Does that just file the teeth or does it file down the rakers to match too?
And that is where the price seems worse, you have to file the rakers manually, this does nothing to them.

On the first sharpen it took me a fair while as the chain had been sharpened by the cheapest mains powered sharpener you can get but now that the teeth have a nice radius it is pretty quick to sharpen. The saw did seem to bite in harder(than a new chain) after sharpening so if I am going anywhere near a full plunge I have to run the 9AH battery or it will go under voltage and cut out.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
This thread has been very informative. When I retire from professional Badminton. I am going to invest my winnings into becoming a Lumberjack. Do Lumberjacks wear Chaps?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
You need assed chaps or you’ll end up with a chapped ass.
I went to CVS. They do not have AssChapStick. They did not appreciate my chapped ass inquiries either. They insisted I keep my pants on as I was curious if my ass was chapped. I wanted to get ahead of this and treat my chapped ass. However if I bought enough tubes of ChapStick would that not solve my dilemma? Due to supply chain issues shuttlecock shortages are pervasive and that has hastened my retirement from Professional Badminton.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I went to CVS. They do not have AssChapStick. They did not appreciate my chapped ass inquiries either. They insisted I keep my pants on as I was curious if my ass was chapped. I wanted to get ahead of this and treat my chapped ass. However if I bought enough tubes of ChapStick would that not solve my dilemma? Due to supply chain issues shuttlecock shortages are pervasive and that has hastened my retirement from Professional Badminton.
In high school I was at the top of the school badminton league for a long time. Used to love knocking the cock about. I had a sixth sense as to the cock’s position so I could play it blind in those difficult backwards stretch shots.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
In high school I was at the top of the school badminton league for a long time. Used to love knocking the cock about. I had a sixth sense as to the cock’s position so I could play it blind in those difficult backwards stretch shots.
New custom title: "sixth sense cock master"

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I am a professional. Cock sense was ingrained into me at an early age. I had a coach who would stand on a ladder and randomly throw his cocks at me. I was raised Catholic, so I was used to it.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
20230328_121759_copy_1000x750.jpg

Been letting the big dog eat recently and am building up a decent pile of rounds to split. 5lb Council splitting axe acquired. Now to start researching firewood shed plans...