Quantcast

Do y'all like wine?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
If so, I'll post regularly the stuff my girl brings home from work if yas want recommendations.

For example, tonight, we're drinking a Riesling from the Marlborough region in New Zealand.

She and I typically drink reds... pinot, cabs, syrah/shiraz, etc., but if you're ever looking for a white, this Riesling from the winery of Huia is very good. Drier than most whites, floral, not fruity, very tasty.

If you want to know more, I'll get her to post, but before I met her, I didn't know much about good wine, so I thought maybe y'all might want some info.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
No, but my mom does. :eek:

My mom drives all the way to the New Hampshire liquor depot to save money on cases. Yeah...its bad.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
mack said:
No, but my mom does. :eek:

My mom drives all the way to the New Hampshire liquor depot to save money on cases. Yeah...its bad.
But if you like something, yeah?

robdamanii said:
Hrm...wonder what's the acidity on it....
Isn't acid a factor in how "dry" a wine is? I'm not sure. So, I'd say it's got more acid than a typical white, but less than many reds?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
How much you paying for the Huia stuff Opie? Is that the one with the feather on the label?

Edit: Huia means 'food' btw...

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
She sells seashells, no, I mean wine... so free to us :D

It's ~US$17 retail.

Yeah, feather on the label. Since you're there, it's probably cheap for you. Is this something you like?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
US$17 is pretty good, I guess. it's around NZ$15 here, so only a few bucks to fly it across the world.

Yeah, I quite like it. I've had it a few times.

I'm mostly into NZ Sauv Blancs and Pinot Noirs right now. There's a 'just above budget' brand called Jackman Ridge (I think) whose Sauv Blanc and Pinot are both really good - as good as others of at leat double the price, so they are regular fixtures for us. Another one to watch out for is 'Cat's pee on a Gooseberry Bush' Sauv Blanc. Really tasty, a bit different and really refreshing.

Edit: Maybe it's not Jackman Ridge - It's something ridge.. damnit... C'mon brain...

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Thanks Chang, my girl filed those recommendations in her brain.

She's a big fan of NZ wines and wants to visit someday... someday.

Cat's pee... hehehe. Are you describing it or is that a product name?

Have you had the NZ wine of Alpha Domus or Olsson?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
'Cat's pee' is the product's name -

I've heard of Olsson I think, not sure about Alpha Domus. There are so many 'boutique' brands here, it's a bit of a pain actually.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Changleen said:
There are so many 'boutique' brands here, it's a bit of a pain actually.
oh, must suck living in one of the wine capitols of the world :nopity:

"Cat's Pee..." will be easy to remember, so if I see it, I'll have to spend actual money on it :)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
SkaredShtles said:
Take it to the Beer & Food forum, numbnuts. :D
:stupid:

SkaredShtles said:
I like NZ wine. :drool:
:stupid:

although i haven't found a good cheap pinot from NZ yet. they've definitely made their mark via Sav Blanc, and there are tons of good ones to choose from.

acidity would be just one property of a wine's 'dryness'; i would think that tannins and residual sugar would also contribute.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I love a good dry red. Not much of a fan of white wine but I did have one in Switzerland that was really tasty, brought a couple bottles of that home.