Quantcast

Do you acknowledge other roadies?

Do you wave/nod to other roadies?

• Total voters

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Just wondering if you acknowledge other roadies when you're out on a cruise.

I usually give a quick, hand-still-on-the-bar wave. The return rate of said wave is about 50% around my snobby neck of the woods. The further I ride away from home, the more people wave back. Funny how that works.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Everyone 'round here seems friendly enough, just sometimes you have to realise it isn't a good idea to take the hands off the bars so a nod will suffice.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
Usually just a nod and a flick of the left fingers while the thumb rests on the brake hood.

Or a simple "howdy" when passing someone going i nthe same direction.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I wave just before pulling out a can of mountain dew from my jersey pocket and bouncing it off the riders' foreheads then catching it as I pass, opening it, slamming it and then yelling... DO THE MOTHER F*CKING DEW.

Rate of return wave 31.09%
Rate of riders giving return wave falling off bike: 97.8%.
Rate of riders not giving return wave falling off bike 52.1%.

My numbers indicate that not returning the wave gives you a greater chance of survival after having a Dew bounced off your forhead whie riding.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
golgiaparatus said:
I wave just before pulling out a can of mountain dew from my jersey pocket and bouncing it off the riders' foreheads then catching it as I pass, opening it, slamming it and then yelling... DO THE MOTHER F*CKING DEW.

Rate of return wave 31.09%
Rate of riders giving return wave falling off bike: 97.8%.
Rate of riders not giving return wave falling off bike 52.1%.

My numbers indicate that not returning the wave gives you a greater chance of survival after having a Dew bounced off your forhead whie riding.
That was you?

I was the guy who caught the can, slammed it, and threw the empty back at you...

mogulskr

Monkey
Aug 28, 2002
NH
I wave to all of them with the rate of return about 10%. On our lunch time ride we see an average of 10 roadies a ride. I have determined that because we are in baggies and helmets with visors they could care less.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
I actually give the motorcycle (read: HD) hello. I find it's easier to do than an actual wave and more obvious than a head nod. Whatever works.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I am so much stronger then other riders it is beneath me to acknowledge their presence, unless they veer into my line as I smoke them.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I almost always wave, smile, nod and generally get a return. We must live in a friendly area. The only time I didn't get a return was when I was on my jekyll (knobbies and all) wearing baggies and a camelbak. :think:

NapalmCheese

Monkey
May 16, 2006
Los Gatos
Riding a motorcycle, everyone waives (hell even the Harley guys usually wave back to dudes on sportbikes).

Apparantly around here waving while on a bicycle is considered bad form or something, as very few people wave back.
Then again, I'm on a hybrid bike wearing baggies and a visored helmet, they must not think of me as part of the club or something.

Mike Stone

Chimp
Jul 15, 2002
Danbury CT
I always wave or say "how's it going," and I find it appalling that when I ride in the U.S. (mostly New England and particularly in CT) most people don't want to say hi, it is like they would rather pretend you are not there.

One of the things I love about living in Honduras (where I am now), is that everyone says "hola" or "buenas" to everyone they pass on the street. It seems like people here have so much more fun even doing simple things, and they really like to be acknowledged. If you say "hola" or "buenas," it's like you are automatically an amigo.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I wave at anyone on a bike, pretty much. Most don't return. Some "serious" roadies just kind of stare at me (or, one could say, stare me down).

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
Over the weekend, I realized that I wave at people because it makes me feel better - I don't even look to see if they wave back.

Of course, if I'm climbing, or doing 40 mph on a descent, I skip the wave. There are tons of motorcycles out where I ride, so I don't have time to wave to them all.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I nod or give them a quick wave. Tonight I came across a guy on an MTB coming out of some unbeknownst to me singletrack and we rode together up a road climb and chatted a bit. Never knew there were trails where this guy came out from - must explore! :thumb:

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
not a roadie, but today i was riding with a friend, and I pulled over to let some other MTBers climbing up the trail go by, and the guy stuck out a hand and said high five, and said, "good to see the youth of america" at least your not going out and drinking.:biggrin:
You let some old guys pass you up a hill?

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
I always wave or nod... I'd say I get a return 80% of the time. The ones that don't have their noses held so high their nostrils are causing wind drag. And I could care less about a friendly wave from those guys.

vulvarizer

Chimp
Sep 8, 2006
I usually say a quick "hello" to other MTBRS but i stopped with roadies since i never got a return:bonk: Roadies.:rant: Must be my MT bike/equipment.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
I always wave or nod....Used to be where I grew up anyone on a Trek would not wave, everyone else would. Kinda odd. Out here in CO it seems to depend on how much the rider is concentrating on cranking.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I acknowledge roadies, mountain bikers, runners, walkers, roller ski freaks, and skateboarders...everyone gets a nod, a "hey" or a little hand flick.