Quantcast

do you believe the pandemic avian flu thing?

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
does this seem real to all of you? I, for one, am scared of the thought of a pandemic, they say at least 50 million people will be infected an one quarter of America's population will be included. Once you have this flu, is it a given that you WILL die? How can i protect myself from avian flu?

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
i think it's like 50/50 death. and otherwise healthy young people will be the least likely to croak. it could end the social security/medicare crisis, but i'm still hoping that it wont actually happen.

splat

Nam I am
Nope not at all. it is the government talking about a worst case scenirio and the media has picked up on it .

as for the avian flu. there has not been one case yet of Human to human transfer. calm down and go ride your bike.

it is all just a buld up for the Movie Chicken little " the Sky is falling "

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
good. i would say i myself am a "healthy young people". BTW, for you splat, i am riding urban at 12 tonight (or tomorrow morning, whichever you prefer). Maybe i will post pics.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
splat said:
Nope not at all. it is the government talking about a worst case scenirio and the media has picked up on it .

as for the avian flu. there has not been one case yet of Human to human transfer. calm down and go ride your bike.

it is all just a buld up for the Movie Chicken little " the Sky is falling "
There has been 1 suspected case of human to human transfer. 60 odd people have died out of 120 odd human infections.

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
to hijack my own thread, does midnight classify as the end of today or the beginning of tomorrow? or both? so, at the stroke of midnight, it is both november 3rd, and 4th??

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Out of the 122 cases of H5N1, 62 people have died. This is since 2003. H5N1 is only one of over a dozen types of bird flu, and is the only kind that is deadly.

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
but then why, on my watch with digital seconds, i do not get to see the display read "11:50 60"? it goes right to 12:00

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
mcA896 said:
dammit. i was getting all excited too. damn you tenichiro, damn you.
Don't worry you can always explore the variable complexities of time. After recognizing the quirkiness of the clock perhaps you have some curiousity for real time. An operation within a larger dynamic system is called a real-time operation if the combined reaction- and operation-time of a task is shorter than the maximum delay that is allowed, in view of circumstances outside the operation. The task must also occur before the system to be controlled becomes unstable. A real-time operation is not necessarily fast, as slow systems can allow slow real-time operations. This applies for all types of dynamically changing systems. The polar opposite of a real-time operation is a batch job with interactive timesharing falling somewhere in-between the two extremes.

Alternately, a system is said to be hard real-time if the correctness of an operation depends not only upon the logical correctness of the operation but also upon the time at which it is performed. An operation performed after the deadline is, by definition, incorrect, and usually has no value. In a soft real-time system the value of an operation declines steadily after the deadline expires.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Bird flu has jumped to people in South Eas Asia, densly populated with poor medical infrastructure and it hasn't exactly gone and killed everyone. It is something to be concerned about and watched and prepared for but the recent Executive level speaches are just fear mongering to distract the public. In a way I hope it changes some people habbits because Americans in general are very inconsiderate, they refuse to be inconvienienced to prevent spreading illness. I constantly have coworkers who still come to work despite being sick and even bring their kids to work who have gotten kicked out of school for being sick. ****ers.