Quantcast

do you commute on youre ss?

Discussion in 'Cross Country, All Mountain & Trail Riding' started by mtbslcruz, Nov 22, 2005.

1. mtbslcruz

mtbslcruz Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    just wondering how many people commute on thier ss as aposed to a geared bike.Where I live almost everybody commutes on a geared mountain bike and there are a few rodies on geared bikes.also does anyone commute on a fixie?Just curious.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Arsbars

Arsbars "Finger Lickin' Good"

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    For a while in South Carolina I did. Wasn't any harder - infact it was easier since it was a mountain bike with slicks, vs when it was a standard mtb with knobs.

I encourage it. Lower maintence. Lube your chain and keep your brake pads free off grime and you'll be ready to go.

3. BikeGeek

BikeGeek BrewMonkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 53
    I used to commute on a rigid SS, but added gears when my commute doubled.

4. henrymiller

henrymiller Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    My gearing was not the best for commuting, 36/20 or 32/18. I would spin out and this would make for a very slow commute. So I set up a fixie with 42/16 for my commute. Man, I love my fixie.:drool:

5. H8R

H8R Cranky Pants

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 4
    I used to before I moved. 60 miles each way is a bit too much of a commute on an SS.

Yes, I'm a wuss.

6. Angus

Angus Jack Ass Pen Goo Win

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    When I was living in Chicago, I would routinely commute to work, and would ride my Old Solo-One as often as my road bike, at the time my Commute was 12 miles each way.
    Down here in Arkansas commuting is not an option, as I live 34 miles away from my office and am in sales, and must meet my clients at their homes, I average about 125 miles a day in driving....

7. stinkyboy

stinkyboy Plastic Santa

Rep/Likes:
    1 / 0
    Do you sell aluminum siding or insurance?

I did 16 miles each way for a couple months on my Karate Monkey, and it was too slow, but a nice cruise.

8. Angus

Angus Jack Ass Pen Goo Win

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    HVAC! good one

9. sanjuro

sanjuro Tube Smuggler

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 0
    I have a Surly 1x1. A great commuter bike, esp with Mammoth Rims and 1x1 hubs. I have never trued this wheels in 6 years.

I used to run a 36x18, and I occasionally spin it out, but it was fine most of the time. Living in SF, I got a 20t for the big hills.

10. mikeG

mikeG Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I have an 05 Specialized Langster Fixie and ride to work 3 times a week. It is a relatively flat commute with the bike geared at 48/16 & it is about 15 miles each way.

11. OGRipper

OGRipper Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    9 / 111
    I commute on my fixie a couple days a week. It's a pretty short ride and I get a better workout, especially in the hills of SF with my 44 teeth.

I am usually in other forums but figured I'd check this out, I am in the process of resurrecting my old hardtail into my first SS mountain bike, will post up when it's done.

12. Muuqi

Muuqi Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I used to commute first on a Bianchi fixie w/ a 46/16 gearing and then later on a SS with a 38/15 gearing. Both had to be sold to pay for my new race bike tho, and I miss em!

13. PepperJester

PepperJester Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 18
    i commute on my Scott frome time to time, usally to work about 6km's each way. about 3km's are up a mountian on my way home. Yee ha!