Quantcast

do you commute on youre ss?

mtbslcruz

Chimp
Sep 2, 2005
Farmington NM
just wondering how many people commute on thier ss as aposed to a geared bike.Where I live almost everybody commutes on a geared mountain bike and there are a few rodies on geared bikes.also does anyone commute on a fixie?Just curious.

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
For a while in South Carolina I did. Wasn't any harder - infact it was easier since it was a mountain bike with slicks, vs when it was a standard mtb with knobs.

I encourage it. Lower maintence. Lube your chain and keep your brake pads free off grime and you'll be ready to go.

henrymiller

Monkey
May 4, 2002
Denver-A-Go-Go
My gearing was not the best for commuting, 36/20 or 32/18. I would spin out and this would make for a very slow commute. So I set up a fixie with 42/16 for my commute. Man, I love my fixie.:drool:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I used to before I moved. 60 miles each way is a bit too much of a commute on an SS.

Yes, I'm a wuss.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
When I was living in Chicago, I would routinely commute to work, and would ride my Old Solo-One as often as my road bike, at the time my Commute was 12 miles each way.
Down here in Arkansas commuting is not an option, as I live 34 miles away from my office and am in sales, and must meet my clients at their homes, I average about 125 miles a day in driving....

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
MunkeeHucker said:
When I was living in Chicago, I would routinely commute to work, and would ride my Old Solo-One as often as my road bike, at the time my Commute was 12 miles each way.
Down here in Arkansas commuting is not an option, as I live 34 miles away from my office and am in sales, and must meet my clients at their homes, I average about 125 miles a day in driving....
Do you sell aluminum siding or insurance?

I did 16 miles each way for a couple months on my Karate Monkey, and it was too slow, but a nice cruise.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
stinkyboy said:
Do you sell aluminum siding or insurance?

I did 16 miles each way for a couple months on my Karate Monkey, and it was too slow, but a nice cruise.
HVAC! good one

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I have a Surly 1x1. A great commuter bike, esp with Mammoth Rims and 1x1 hubs. I have never trued this wheels in 6 years.

I used to run a 36x18, and I occasionally spin it out, but it was fine most of the time. Living in SF, I got a 20t for the big hills.

mikeG

Chimp
Nov 14, 2004
Menlo Park, CA
I have an 05 Specialized Langster Fixie and ride to work 3 times a week. It is a relatively flat commute with the bike geared at 48/16 & it is about 15 miles each way.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I commute on my fixie a couple days a week. It's a pretty short ride and I get a better workout, especially in the hills of SF with my 44 teeth.

I am usually in other forums but figured I'd check this out, I am in the process of resurrecting my old hardtail into my first SS mountain bike, will post up when it's done.

Muuqi

Monkey
Oct 11, 2005
Ashland Oregon
I used to commute first on a Bianchi fixie w/ a 46/16 gearing and then later on a SS with a 38/15 gearing. Both had to be sold to pay for my new race bike tho, and I miss em!