Quantcast

Do you French Press?

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
Last week I bought a single serving French press from star bucks - I thought this would be a good alternative to the crappy Folgers they make here at work.

I have been kidding myself for years - French Press ROCKS. The coffee taste so much better. I'm going to toss my old coffee maker and buy a nice Press for home.

Anyway just thought I would share.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I use one at home once in a while. It is a bit of a pain in the ass and I am really lazy but the coffee is much better, has a creamy chocolaty flavour to it.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I like the result but am too lazy to do it on a regular basis. I use a regular drip maker most of the time.

I have one of these press/mug deals for camping though, works great.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
Been using a press for the past 12 years.

It allows YOU to control all aspects of a good cuppa joe.

That's why I like it.

With practice you can almost get espresso out of it... [much coarser grind, btw]

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
I'm not a big coffee drinker BUT my wife is however she doesn't seem to be able to make a decent cup to save her life. Could a french press help her? More importantly will it keep me from having to go to Caribou or Starbucks or the bakery on Saturday / Sunday morning to get her coffee?

Are french presses all the same or are some better than others?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'm not a big coffee drinker BUT my wife is however she doesn't seem to be able to make a decent cup to save her life. Could a french press help her? More importantly will it keep me from having to go to Caribou or Starbucks or the bakery on Saturday / Sunday morning to get her coffee?

It all depends on how she is making coffee now. As I learned here my crappy coffee was the fault of a coffee maker not capable of getting the water hot enough. A french press will help but I have also found that putting boiling water into my MR Coffee piece of crap will make a much better cup of coffee.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament

Main difference is how long it will last.... something like a bodum like I have, has lasted an average of 2 large cups a day for 5 years and is still good.
But a cheaper one that was at my ski lodge only lasted 1 ski season with average usage of 8 cups per day before the filtering part broke. :rant:
It has since been replaced with this!!! :D

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
It all depends on how she is making coffee now. As I learned here my crappy coffee was the fault of a coffee maker not capable of getting the water hot enough. A french press will help but I have also found that putting boiling water into my MR Coffee piece of crap will make a much better cup of coffee.
I'm going to get her to try that.

Main difference is how long it will last.... something like a bodum like I have, has lasted an average of 2 large cups a day for 5 years and is still good.
But a cheaper one that was at my ski lodge only lasted 1 ski season with average usage of 8 cups per day before the filtering part broke.
It has since been replaced with this!!!
Shoot even if she didn't use it, she'd like it for the look of it on the kitchen counter. :biggrin:

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I've got one. It makes a good cup of coffee. Like westy says, it tastes chocolaty, creamy or even nutty. I really like it. I'll drink either that or espresso but not coffee maker coffee, that stuff is nasty.

They also make a really good cup of tea. I like to take loose leaf tea (Darjeeling is good) and spices (ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, and a dash of black pepper) to make home made chai tea.

When camping I always make the old standard 'cowboy' coffee. Boil your water, throw the grounds right in, boil another minute or so and let the grounds settle and the drink. That makes a strong cup of coffee. You have to make sure not to boil it too long or else it gets bitter.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
FYI, the water should be hot but slightly cooler than boiling. The ideal temp is about 200 F and water boils at like 210, 215 (at sea level anyway). Too hot and it can be more bitterer. :biggrin:

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
I like the result but am too lazy to do it on a regular basis. I use a regular drip maker most of the time.
The press is easier IMO. I have one of those hot water dealies on my sink, so I grind a few beans (coarse!), mix beans and hot water in the Bodum, and it's done. Cleanup is easier too - although I understand drip coffee makers don't get cleaned too often :)

My problem is that I break a couple a year - that thin glass requires care.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
I'll drink either that or espresso but not coffee maker coffee, that stuff is nasty.
All coffee makers are not created equal. There is a very noticeable difference in the taste quality of coffee produced in a $20 coffee maker and a more expensive, higher qulity coffee maker. Mostly due to the temperature of the water during brewing is my guess.

I have a basic mug-at-a-time brewer and a high-end all stainless coffee maker, (including the carafe), and using the same tap water, same coffee, brewing at the same time, the high-end coffee maker simply taste's much better.

HOOWAH

Monkey
Sep 16, 2001
portland, maine USA
French press only for at least one year now. And an electric hot water heater for speedy results.
IMHO it just makes way better coffee than a coffee maker. I like to use a finer grind to get the smooth creamy texture.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
The press is easier IMO. I have one of those hot water dealies on my sink, so I grind a few beans (coarse!), mix beans and hot water in the Bodum, and it's done. Cleanup is easier too - although I understand drip coffee makers don't get cleaned too often :)

My problem is that I break a couple a year - that thin glass requires care.

Makes sense if you've got the instant hot water. I dunno, a regular drip is just so simple. I throw it together and hit the shower, when I come out it's ready to go. And yeah it's less cleaning on a day-to-day basis. Whatever, to me this is kind of like debating bongs vs. doobies...either way you'll get what you want!

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
i think i'm going to try using my dad's french press tomorrow morning. generally we just use our regular drip coffee maker but the coffee tastes crappy and burnt all the time so i have to put in tons of milk and sugar in to mask that taste. hopefully the french press will be much better because i prefer my coffee black.

dgrif

Monkey
Apr 12, 2006
colo spigs

if i want a good strong cup i use regular beans coarse not packed, and obviously if i want espresso i grind em fine and pack in a bit more.. for campin, i dig these:

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
I agree it doesn't taste quite right when made in plastic. Still, I use a polycarb press when camping and this at home:

As long as you keep up on the easy maintenance it makes a damn fine cup for just pushig one button.
The wife was scared of it at first but now is a pro and I don't have to make sure I'm the one that gets up to make coffee in the a.m.
Huge savings over Starbucks or Caribou, et al.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
You still need a decent grinder and fresh beans...but if you have that, they can make a killer cup of coffee. I use mine when want to drink a full cup instead of an espresso.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
French press is the best way I've found to make regular coffee. Gives a really rich cup and is inexpensive and simple. It really doesn't require that much work. Just grind beans, measure in coffee, fill with water, wait and press.

Grinding your own beans and doing that part right is critical. You don't need a fancy grinder or anything. It'll be great as long as you get some practice. Actually, grinding your own for any method is the best thing you can do to imrpove the flavor.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
My mom-in-law bought me a french press machine for the holidays. I made my first cup this morning. Man that coffee is good! It's smooth and creamy. I got one of those basic sets...not a fancy schmancy $300 machine.

It's easy to use. Put the grounds in, put the hot water in, let it sit.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
BUMP!
Coffee maker acting up, going with a french press. Hit me with any make/model recommendations, preferably supercharged with lots of chrome, and around 4 cup capacity. Go!