Quantcast

Do you know how many houses you own?

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I call these people "knife catchers" because I think the market is still a year out from bottom. Unless you get the house for next to nothing, then what you pay for it now will still decrease for at least another year.

There are a lot of people looking to rent, though. I know quite a few people who got WAY over there head in "the good ol' days" of HELOC's. Most of them lost their house and have to rent for a while.
Here in the Bay Area I think we're pretty close to bottoming out, if not already there. Deals are great, I still think it's a great time to buy. Prices may drop a bit, my guess $20K-$30K at best. That's not a lot of money in the housing market in my area. Once things turn, they will go up $75-$200K easily.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
I own no houses, I'm in the tax bracket to which McCain would give almost zero tax cuts (you know, like most citizens of this country), and I've got a young child.
source?
Just three more reasons to vote for Obama.
if these are your 3 reasons:
1: not a homeowner
2: taxes
3: child
how does obama help you wrt these?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Maybe, but with Obama, you'll get to pay more in taxes.
according to latimes: "Both candidates would maintain the Bush tax cuts for the working poor and middle-income taxpayers."

they differ vastly on how to screw the rich: obama would beat them like slaves

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
if nothing else, this thread has shown us that mccain has been judged not by his words, but by his deeds.

:rimshot:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I like it that Obama sold out his gramma (the woman who raised him) and his pastor in the same week. Solid character.
As opposed to the guy who dumped his wife who was disfigured in a car accident for some 25 year old ass with a multi-million dollar inheritance? No to mention that Cindy wasn't the only cooze he was tapping on the side while he was still married...

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
I like it that Obama sold out his gramma (the woman who raised him) and his pastor in the same week. Solid character.
Ask them what they think of Obama, and I suspect both will still be all praise. He didn't exactly "sell them out." I dearly love my grandparents, but they are shockingly racist (considering they are Holocaust survivors) and I wouldn't be ashamed to explain that truth to anyone, including them (and I have). They still love me.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
"deeds"
get it, you philistines?
Two points:

One, it wasn't funny. Two, they probably aren't in John's name. Cindy needs some leverage to keep McCain from getting his dick wet with anything that has two feet and a heartbeat. She's got that leash tight, I'm sure.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
they probably aren't in John's name. Cindy needs some leverage to keep McCain from getting his dick wet with anything that has two feet and a heartbeat. She's got that leash tight, I'm sure.
Yes, this piece seems to suggest that's the case...

McCain house tour
Cindy McCain, a beer distributorship heiress, is the cash engine behind the couple's real estate moves. It was she who sold their nine-bedroom Phoenix mansion -- the house where she grew up -- in 2006.

She also bought them a place in Arlington, where he spends much of the year.

maml

Chimp
May 19, 2003
How strange to think that "acknowledged the humanity of" is the same as "sold out."

You don't deal well with complicated situations, do you?

maml

Chimp
May 19, 2003
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/story/2008/06/09/ST2008060900950.html
if these are your 3 reasons:
1: not a homeowner
2: taxes
3: child
how does obama help you wrt these?
Obama isn't a saviour, but his ideas for what government should and shouldn't do would improve my financial situation, help provide healthcare for my children, and somewhat reduce my tax burden. If the liberals manage to take over, we might actually see the USA in a better situation in the next 4-8 years, which would see my daughter into her early teens. Obama is a moderate, and might be the beginning of the first positive change in this nation since Jimi Carter's days.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I would like to know how McCain will pay for 10 more years at war AND decrease taxes? Didn't he learn from W that it doesn't work that way?

3D.

Monkey
Feb 23, 2006
Chinafornia USA
It’s insane to think that either one of these blow job artists will put this country on the right track. America loves being lied to and is going to, once more, sleep in it’s smelly sh!t stained bed that it has so blissfully made for itself.

Bay area almost bottoming out… hahahaahahahaa… this state is more than 15 billion in the hole from last year and has a budget that is nearly impossible to create for this year, I don’t think we can yet grasp the concept of what it means to truly bottom out.

“once things turn”/ “come around” / “economically recover” / “market recovery” / “what ever you’d like to fvcking call it”… better start building some manufacturing facilities, showing our children how to operate something other than a spreadsheet program, and learning how to vote for presidential candidates that will actually, attempt, to represent the people.

Last edited:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
“once things turn”/ “come around” / “economically recover” / “market recovery” / “what ever you’d like to fvcking call it”… better start building some manufacturing facilities, showing our children how to operate something other than a spreadsheet program, and learning how to vote for presidential candidates that will actually, attempt, to represent the people.
i no longer think it's cynical not to expect this to ever come to fruition. if we truly are a melting pot, we have an inordinate number who will refuse to put their culture/lifestyle 2nd chair to the american culture/lifestyle (which is nearly undefinable). for this reason, you will have "the people", but no way they can be truly represented by any one candidate.

i believe we are forever more in the season of being forced to select the "least evil"

3D.

Monkey
Feb 23, 2006
Chinafornia USA
for this reason, you will have "the people", but no way they can be truly represented by any one candidate.

i believe we are forever more in the season of being forced to select the "least evil"

Choosing candidates based on their history of being a soldier (very poor one at that), and their acute ability of teleprompter mastery is hardly picking the lesser of evils.

Most Americans do not want the responsibility or the liability of actually having to research their life choices… much less their political leaders.

Having a global manufacturing importance of -zero and a national debt of 10+ trillion will do absolutely nothing to stimulate or revive an economy, ever.

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
What that chart doesn't tell you is that households which make more than ~$90K per year pay more than 85% OF THE TOTAL TAX BURDEN.

Pretty hard to give a tax cut to those who make less than ~$35K, since they already don't really pay ANY taxes. What Obama proposes for those at the bottom isn't actually a tax cut but rather a credit - simply free money forcibly taken from people who went the extra mile and given to people who didn't.

Last edited:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
What that chart doesn't tell you is that households which make more than ~$90K per year pay more than 85% OF THE TOTAL TAX BURDEN.

Pretty hard to give a tax cut to those who make less than ~$35K, since they already don't really pay ANY taxes. What Obama proposes for those at the bottom isn't actually a tax cut but rather a credit - simply free money forcibly taken from people who went the extra mile and given to people who didn't.
Sources for the numbers?

One other thing to point out: Those people at the bottom don't own Halliburton stock. They don't own anything, and it's not like someone in the bottom fifth of income is socking away $15K into that 401k instead of buying that new BMW this year. So the fact that their government pays more than half a trillion a year to ensure that the fruits of empire keep flowing screws them over. They shouldn't be the ones paying for it, since (unless they are in the military) they don't get the benefits from it. Note that if they are the military, they do draw a paycheck from it, but they have a slightly higher incidence of violent death. Lucky Duckies.

Also, it might be worth looking at the share of national income that the top 20% receives compared to 20 years ago...you may also want to consider how the top 1% really skews some of your numbers...if you can source them.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
So the fact that their government pays more than half a trillion a year to ensure that the fruits of empire keep flowing screws them over. They shouldn't be the ones paying for it, since (unless they are in the military) they don't get the benefits from it. Note that if they are the military, they do draw a paycheck from it, but they have a slightly higher incidence of violent death. Lucky Duckies.
funny, i was living at or below poverty until i was 24, then it took another 6 yrs to unambiguously "attain" middle class. for whatever reason, my attitude was never one of the man screwing me over. i don't recall ever going to bed hungry, even though i was raised at the poverty threshold (never took available gov't hand-outs either, but that was a matter of pride for my father).

if the downtrodden truly want to escape poverty, they should do what the white trash across the street from me does: take in a couple adult mental patients while running an unlicensed daycare (upside: the schitzos can watch the kids when oprah's on). i'm sure she's pulling down $30K/yr from just that, which will go unchecked as long as there's more clients than there are eligible host homes.

as far as violent mil deaths goes, isn't the violent death rate about even when compared to the gen pop? (source: ann coulter)

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
Sources for the numbers?
Stats vary:

NY Times had this figure:
The overwhelming majority of federal income taxes are paid by the very highest income earners. The top 1% of income earners pay about 32% of all income taxes. The top 5% pays 51.4%. The top 10% of high income earners, pay 63.5%. The top 20% of income earners pays 78% of all federal income taxes.

These stats say the top 1% of earners combined pay more of the total tax burden than the bottom 90% combined.
http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog/2007/10/top-1-pay-more-.html

More info from here: http://www.american.com/archive/2007/november-december-magazine-contents/guess-who-really-pays-the-taxes

9. Have gains by the rich come at the expense of a declining living standard for the middle class?

No. If Bill Gates suddenly took his tens of billions of dollars and moved to France, income distribution in America would temporarily appear more equitable, even though no one would be better off. Median family income in America between 1980 and 2004 grew by 17 percent. The middle class (defined as those between the 40th and the 60th percentiles of income) isn’t falling behind or “disappearing.” It is getting richer. The lower income bound for the middle class has risen by about $12,000 (after inflation) since 1967. The upper income bound for the middle class is now roughly $68,000—some $23,000 higher than in 1967. Thus, a family in the 60th percentile has 50 percent more buying power than 30 years ago. To paraphrase John F. Kennedy, this has been a “rising tide” expansion, with most (though not all) boats lifted.

Last edited: