Do you know how many houses you own?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
McCain doesn't!

McCain unsure how many houses he owns

Jonathan Martin, Mike AllenThu Aug 21, 7:34 AM ET

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) said in an interview Wednesday that he was uncertain how many houses he and his wife, Cindy, own.

"I think — I'll have my staff get to you," McCain told Politico in Las Cruces, N.M. "It's condominiums where — I'll have them get to you."

The correct answer is at least four, located in Arizona, California and Virginia, according to his staff. Newsweek estimated this summer that the couple owns at least seven properties.

In recent weeks, Democrats have stepped up their effort to caricature McCain as living an outlandishly rich lifestyle — a bit of payback to the GOP for portraying Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) as an elitist, and for turning the spotlight in 2004 on the five homes owned by Sen. John F. Kerry (D-Mass.) and his wife, Teresa Heinz Kerry.

Pro-Obama labor groups have sent out mailers highlighting McCain’s wealth, and prominent Democrats have included references to it in comments to reporters.

Twice in the past two weeks, those Democrats have focused on McCain’s houses.

Sen. Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) told Politico’s Ben Smith that it was McCain “who wears $500 shoes, has six houses and comes from one of the richest families in his state."

And David Axelrod, Obama’s chief strategist, referred in an interview with Adam Nagourney of The New York Times to an imagined meeting of McCain strategists “on the portico of the McCain estate in Sedona — or maybe in one of his six other houses.”

McCain’s comments came four days after he initially told Pastor Rick Warren during a faith forum on Sunday his threshold for considering someone rich is $5 million — a careless comment he quickly corrected.

In the interview, McCain did not offer an alternate number, but had a new answer ready.

“I define rich in other ways besides income,” he said. “Some people are wealthy and rich in their lives and their children and their ability to educate them. Others are poor if they’re billionaires.”

McCain, by anyone's measure, is well-off, if you account for his wife's fortune. Cindy McCain inherited control of her father’s beer distributorship, the largest in Arizona, and has an estimated worth of more than $100 million.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
oh noes!!1 a rich politician running for prezident

whenever someone asks me how many bikes i have, i have a cointoss chance of getting that number right.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
ok, what's the main thrust about the article? he's an out-of-touch elitist? or his wits aren't about him enough to be qualified as CiC? if the former, then no one who's run in recent history is beyond judgment. if the latter, should obama continue to get a pass on his "...57 states" remark? (i think he should - he gaffed; move on)

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
ok, what's the main thrust about the article? he's an out-of-touch elitist? or his wits aren't about him enough to be qualified as CiC? if the former, then no one who's run in recent history is beyond judgment. if the latter, should obama continue to get a pass on his "...57 states" remark? (i think he should - he gaffed; move on)
I think the point is that trying to portray Obama as a rich elitist when you're a richer elitist may backfire, especially when you're a semi-senile cold warrior who has to pander to Christian nutcases.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
I think the point is that trying to portray Obama as a rich elitist when you're a richer elitist may backfire, especially when you're a semi-senile cold warrior who has to pander to Christian nutcases.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
You're the Jesus Freak.

Out of the two, I'd say Obama has a more genuine faith. If McCain wasn't bat**** crazy, I'd almost be leaning toward him for that reason alone.

I think I've said it before, but I don't want a man of faith in charge of a kindergarten class, (especially if he is Catholic) much less the country.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
speaking of backfiring, did lord obama intend to bring up sweet real estate deals? <cough>rezko</cough>

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
obama gets goosed by the maverick
mccain said:
&#8220;Does a guy who made more than $4 million last year, just got back from vacation on a private beach in Hawaii and bought his own million-dollar mansion with the help of a convicted felon really want to get into a debate about houses? Does a guy who worries about the price of arugula and thinks regular people cling to guns and religion in the face of economic hardship really want to have a debate about who&#8217;s in touch with regular Americans?&#8221;
i think he's lost that loving feeling

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
obama gets goosed by the mavericki think he's lost that loving feeling
McCain better be careful...it's pretty easy to point out that Obama earned his money, instead of dumping his disfigured in an accident first wife for an heiress twenty years younger than he was.

Family values, y'know. Jesus would have dumped the bitch too...

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
McCain better be careful...it's pretty easy to point out that Obama earned his money, instead of dumping his disfigured in an accident first wife for an heiress twenty years younger than he was.

Family values, y'know. Jesus would have dumped the bitch too...
at least he upgraded from bitch to cunt

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
McCain should go on Cribs, that would get him in good with the young peeps.
he probably has a crushed velvet booster seat for his toilet & a bejeweled walk-in bathtub

and don't get me started on craftsmatic adjustable bed w/ traction loops

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
McCain should go on Cribs, that would get him in good with the young peeps.
I can see it now...

"Now 'dis here rot-iron railing doo-hickey is from ...uh...I think it's .....uh...well...it's here. I gots 'dis Picasso from the Louvre back in '73, said i'twas a 'gift' or some sh*t.

And I got 'dis here wife for just bein' a straight pimp. HEY C**T, C'MERE AND SHAKE YO SH*T!!!"

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
You're right, and in this real estate market I wish I could buy a few more.
You don't even realize what a douche you are, do you? At least I think n8 on some level knows and accepts that he's a jackass. But you are just completely clueless.

People with a million dollar house, AND a second home in Tahoe really don't need to whine about how much more they wish they had.....in polite company anyway.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Oy, Brian, the goyim knows not what he speaks of. You are such a good boy supporting your family.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
What? Emotionally? Spiritually? Last I heard it was his wife who works at Exxon bringing in the big coin....
She works for Chevron and actually we make about the same, however that's irrelevant.

What you fail to recognize is the cost of living here in the Bay Area. We may make more than some, however salaries are higher in the area to compensate this. That my friend is relevant. We moved to the area mainly for the public school system, I did grow up here and felt it's one of the best places to raise a family.

We are by no means wealthy, I wish we were. I do like to set my goals high and strive to achieve them. What's wrong with pushing to get ahead?

You're lucky, your wife is a stay at home mom. That my friend is priceless.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
She works for Chevron and actually we make about the same, however that's irrelevant.

What you fail to recognize is the cost of living here in the Bay Area. We may make more than some, however salaries are higher in the area to compensate this. That my friend is relevant. We moved to the area mainly for the public school system, I did grow up here and felt it's one of the best places to raise a family.

We are by no means wealthy, I wish we were. I do like to set my goals high and strive to achieve them. What's wrong with pushing to get ahead?

You're lucky, your wife is a stay at home mom. That my friend is priceless.
Nope...you apparently don't get it....

(And no there is nothing wrong with pushing to get ahead).

However those who do have WAY more than most should have the class to not publicly whine about how much more they want. A million dollar house, a gigantic SUV, a second home in Tahoe, with a ski boat no less....all of which you have DESPITE being down-trodden by the high cost of living in the Bay area..... and then "Gosh I wish I could buy more".....boo hoo.

Strictly speaking, there's nothing wrong with feeling that way, and nothing wrong with having the stuff you have. But show a little class. You almost NEVER post in this forum. But an opportunity presented itself for you to whine about something you don't have...and look who shows up.

You're not wealthy, eh? I think more than a few people would disagree with that. Your head is so far up your ass, you are completely oblivious to how good you have it, (materially speaking anyway. I can't/won't comment on anything else).

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
That's a good financial idea with all the foreclosures around California.

I am not sure why there is so much acrimony about this statement.
There are some killer deals out there. I'm seeing a lot of first time buyers making purchases. I just wish I could afford a down payment then rent it out until the market starts cranking again, sell & try to buy more.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
There are some killer deals out there. I'm seeing a lot of first time buyers making purchases. I just wish I could afford a down payment then rent it out until the market starts cranking again, sell & try to buy more.
Yup the is the best rent:mortgage ratio I've ever seen out here for owners. If I could be in the market, I would be.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Well, if you buy a house in San Leandro, I'll go with you so the locals won't beat you up for being a white boy in an Asian neighborhood.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I call these people "knife catchers" because I think the market is still a year out from bottom. Unless you get the house for next to nothing, then what you pay for it now will still decrease for at least another year.

There are a lot of people looking to rent, though. I know quite a few people who got WAY over there head in "the good ol' days" of HELOC's. Most of them lost their house and have to rent for a while.

maml

Chimp
May 19, 2003
I own no houses, I'm in the tax bracket to which McCain would give almost zero tax cuts (you know, like most citizens of this country), and I've got a young child.

Just three more reasons to vote for Obama.