Quantcast

Do you know your body fat?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Who knows their exact body fat? If you do please hit this link and see if how accurate the estimate is.

I am 5ft7 and 158 as of this morning. The 'max' healthy for my height is 163 while the minimum is 137. I've been working hard to get to 150 but it ain't happening. So I decided a body fat mass of 12% would be OK. That still leaves some fat to be consumed during endurance events and I don't feel to bad. Below is what I came up with. The first number is alarming but the second estimate seems reasonable.

Estimate #1 based on height and weight
Your "Ponderal Index" is 12.39 which gives an estimated body fat of 25.8% (40.7 pounds of fat)

Estimate #2 based on waist size and weight
Estimated body fat of 13.6% (21.4 pounds of fat)

The Body Fat Estimator

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
According to that I have 12.3%. I don't know what it really is, so no, I am not helping you any. :)

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
According to that link, I am a fatty. I don't think it takes muscle mass into consideration. I ain't no bodybuilder, but I have some muscle on my frame.

zibbler

Monkey
Originally posted by I Are Baboon
According to that link, I am a fatty. I don't think it takes muscle mass into consideration. I ain't no bodybuilder, but I have some muscle on my frame.
Thanks Babs, I feel better now. Yeah, I'm a little overweight, but damn, not that much. I'm probly more around 18% if I factor in muscle mass.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Hey Zibbler... 12% on Women is too low!!! Yikes!!! 20% seems nice though... I have seen many low body fat women runners and, unless you are a serious athlete, it's just not attractive. You'll get crabby and want to bash people for no real reason... Oh wait... that's steroids!

Hit this link and download the calculator:

Body fat Calculator

I just did and came up with a more reasonable goal of 15% body fat. I think I am at 19% now.

EDIT: Ummm... maybe not. It says I should weight 143 LBS. I am no body builder either but I run a 10K in 44 minutes and I run a 50K in 6.5 to 7.5 hours. HMMMM. :angry: I may have to buck up and pay for a real test. I'm far too cheap though...

KFulch

Chimp
Jul 10, 2002
NC
Whoa...that was scary. I guess it does not take muscle into the factor much. I was 29% I don't think that is right

Tweek

I Love Cheap Beer!
Until you get your fat "pinched" by body fat calipers, you can't believe what a calculator tells you your body fat is. When I last had mine checked with calipers, I was pushing 190 at 5'11", but was between 12 and 13% body fat. Using that calculator, it would have told me I had 26% body fat. Totally depends on body type. Waist size isn't a good representative of that either.
Of course, all that fat could just be in my head. :think: :monkey:
(Wanted to beat Echo to that rip)

zibbler

Monkey
Originally posted by Serial Midget
Hey Zibbler... 12% on Women is too low!!! Yikes!!! 20% seems nice though...
Yeah, that is pretty low. I'd probly look anorexic if I was that thin. :eek: I could never be active enough or cut enough calories to get that low anyway. My metabolism is just too damn slow. :angry: I'd like to lose maybe 10-15 lbs of fat or so.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I've haven't had my body fat test since high school. I think Babs is right, that thing doesn't take into account how much of my weight is muscle vs. fat.

I don't know, the first estimate showed 15.4% and the second showed 10.1%. I would guess the first is more accurate.

azrael

Chimp
Jun 1, 2002
sydney.aust
it told me to put on some weight-because i was 9.problem is i cant put on weight because i suffer from the old skinny here fat there syndrome:angry:

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by Tweek
Until you get your fat "pinched" by body fat calipers, you can't believe what a calculator tells you your body fat is. When I last had mine checked with calipers, I was pushing 190 at 5'11", but was between 12 and 13% body fat. Using that calculator, it would have told me I had 26% body fat. Totally depends on body type. Waist size isn't a good representative of that either.
Of course, all that fat could just be in my head. :think: :monkey:
(Wanted to beat Echo to that rip)
The only truly accurate way is to be dunked.

the most accurate body fat measurement is that water displacement thing - I hear it's mega expensive.

calipers aren't bad - but you have to get someone who REALLY knows how to use them cuz you can mess it up pretty bad.

also, anyone have one of those tanita scales? I hear they are accurate +/- 13% YIKES!

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I don't know my real body fat also i took my weight on a bathroom scale which says i'm 170 and on one of those real scales it says i'm 161 but thats my school scale which is also old and un accurate so i don't know what my real weight is.
In this book i have they say the top climbers have a height to weight ratio of about 2 but mynes 2.3 i'd like to get rid of excess fat but it just doesn't wannna go
This is what it told me.

Your "Ponderal Index" is 13.27 which gives an estimated body fat of 8.1% (13.8 pounds of fat)

Estimated body fat of 9.6% (16.3 pounds of fat)

Topaz

Chimp
Jul 6, 2002
Woodland Hills
Originally posted by MtnBikerChk
the most accurate body fat measurement is that water displacement thing - I hear it's mega expensive.
I got one of those done in high school when I was trying to determine if I could drop down another weight class for wrestling. I ended up with a 3.9% body fat so you can guess the doc's answer. I was 138lbs back then. Now I'm 5'9" and 166lbs and I'm hoping to get back down to 150 down from 189lbs.

Part of that low number was probably due to lack of fluids. I think the doc should have told me to completely hydrate before I took the test. If I remember correctly I did it right after a 4hr practice. DUH! I don't remember it being super expensive though. All you have to do is weight yourself and then get in a tub of water.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Ponderal Index is useless. It only applys if you have minimal (for your size) muscle mass. I end up morbidly obese in this scale every time.

#2 is closer but for accuracy would still need to take into account more measurements.

mtbikerchk - Go to your nearest college. If they have a physical fitness dept you could donate your body for fat measurements (and others) which may not cost anything and in some cases they may pay you.

There are massive problems with the water displacement measurement which apply to certain body types and densities.

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
I had myself calipered about 4 months ago and came out with 16% body fat. I'm 5'10", weigh 185 and I do weightlift with waist size is 34". I'd like to get down to around 12% but those damn Doritos keep calling me! :D

According to those measurements from the link... it gives me an estimated body fat of 14.9%....

I'd say it gives you a pretty good rough idea of your body fat... hope this helps.

scofflaw23

Monkey
Mar 13, 2002
Raleigh
i got:

Your "Ponderal Index" is 12.73 which gives an estimated body fat of 19.1% (32.4 pounds of fat)

Estimated body fat of 7.1% (12.1 pounds of fat)

i'm about 5' 11" and i weight probably about 170 now. though i haven't weighed myself in about a year, and i've been riding about 40miles a day for the past 5 months, so...

in high school, when i used to run, and i weight more like 160-165, i tested at about 9 with calipers.

i'm not really sure why there's such a big difference between #1 and #2, don't think a 30" waist is so disproportionate for my height/weight.

ben.

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
I honestly don't know anymore.
180 lbs, 5' 10"

My Ponderal Index is 12.4, giving me 25.7% body fat.

Waist/Height body fat is 10.9%.

Got pinched this past monday actually, giving me a 10 flat.

Body fat calculators just don't work unless you are average everything, which nobody here is. The average american sits on their ass, gets NO excercise, and eats crap. We might sit on our asses, and eat crap, but we get our excercise. Those among us who lift weights religiously in addition get even crazier results than the rest.

I laughed at the nurse earlier this year when she took my BMI (ponderal index basically), and proclaimed me overweight.

Deyv

Deyvil
Mar 26, 2002
Montreal
I got body fat tested with theses electronic handles that you squeeze in your hands and it came out at 11% or 12 I forgot (or wanted to forget!) It sound about right because everyone else was over 20% which is realistic where I work

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
How is the best why to get rid of the excess fat? I'd like to get rid of by next spring.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Originally posted by JMAC
How is the best why to get rid of the excess fat? I'd like to get rid of by next spring.
Eat a little less
Cut out the crap (basically sugars and anything obscenly fat)
Cardio (consistant higher heart rate)
Put on some lean mass to aid in fat loss

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
There are certainly more knowledgable people here that can answer your question. For anyone who DOES know... feel free to correct me. :D

Perhaps you should be more specific... ie... how overweight are you... what kinds of activities (other than biking) do you do... what kinds of foods do you eat?

Basically, burn more calories than what you eat, but make sure you don't starve yourself. Depending on your activity level, 2000 calories is normal for an average male. If you eat too few calories, your body goes into starvation mode and anything you eat... it will pack it on as fat (if I'm not mistaken.)

Eat balanced.... Protein, Carbs and fat (someone help me out on the %'s of each.) Stay away from the fried stuff (harder said than done :D ) Eat 6 small meals a day to keep your metabolism high... and do some wieght training. Muscle needs more energy and you'll burn more calories with a bit of muscle than without... you don't need to be Arnold... just throw some weights around. (this also helps with the boredom factor.)

Keep your exersizing varied so you don't bore yourself to death and end up not giving a hoot. Exersize in the morning before breakfast so you burn into your chub quicker.

I know this is rather generic and you've probably heard it before, but that's because it works.... Jojo can probably get a lot more in depth... ask her!

good luck, :monkey:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I am a long distance runner and fairly committed road cyclist and XC mountain biker... most of what I do is cardio related from the waist down. I could stand to loose 8 to 10 pounds; my gut doesn't hang over my belt but it's not firm either. I could benefit from weights but I am not really interested.

The key to loosing weight through cardio is the slow and steady increase to maintanence level. My plan to get to 150 by this time next year is this: I plan reduce my average 10K time to under 42 minutes from about 44.5 minutes right now. The extra effort this will require is more than enough.

The one thing I can tell you all about sustained slowtwitch cardio is that you loose your taste for crap food. I crave beef, startch and salt. I nver think... ummm icecream. I think Ohhh... medium rare top sirloin and a salty baked potato. :cool:

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
You see i eat well and everything. i have been doing weights 3x weekly but thats all part of my training plan not to lose weight.
I have noticed that i've lost fat on certain areas since i've been running and doing weights but still weigh the same could this be because of muscle growth?
According to Joe Freils book the top climbers have a ratio of about 2 between weight and height that means i weigh about 15 pounds to much.

I have no fat what so ever on my upper body it's all behind my legs.

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
...could this be because of muscle growth?
Sounds likely to me. Plus you have to remember that the chub you've got is the last to take off... which means it was most likely the first you put on all those years ago. I've heard that kind of fat is the most difficult to remove, but I don't know if that's load of bs.

As Serial Midget says... up your maintenance level... you could have plateau'ed.

bikebabe

Monkey
Jul 31, 2002
Maryland
I think the first estimator is a little off as it is giving me an impossible result. I'm 5'11", 135lbs and am not just skin and bones.

Your "Ponderal Index" is 13.84 which gives an estimated body fat of -3.4% (-4.6 pounds of fat)

Looks like you better put on some weight!

Estimated body fat of 5.0% ( 6.7 pounds of fat)

I think height and weight alone are bad estimates of body fat since weight also depends on skeletal structure and muscle density.

azrael

Chimp
Jun 1, 2002
sydney.aust
the thing about losing weight,is that it is not all the same.depends on A)how much you weigh now B) do you want to lose fat,muscle or both ect...
it is easy for someone who is overweight to get to normal enough tandards,but it is hard to get that cycling specific power to weight ratio(ie lance armstrong)

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Well i'm far from over weight i just want to get rid of all that excess fat. I want the power to weight ratio like Lance Armstrong
I don't want to lose any muscle just the extra fat.

Deyv

Deyvil
Mar 26, 2002
Montreal
Well i'm far from over weight i just want to get rid of all that excess fat. I want the power to weight ratio like Lance Armstrong
I don't want to lose any muscle just the extra fat.
if you can find fat on your body, I will tell you how to lose it!

JMAC you are so thin, there's no fat on your body!!!!! ok maybe your ear lobes:rolleyes: !

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I'm not thin:p
Well i've got fat every were look at pros and their super defined muscle i'm just tall.

Deyv did you get the blood tests and find out whats screwed up about you:D

azrael

Chimp
Jun 1, 2002
sydney.aust
expectations.....you wanna look like lance? or do you want to ride like him? lance trains and lives in a very calculated way.he weighs food and makes sure he is never overconsuming in calories.the thinner you are ,the harder it is(in my opinion)to lose excess weight.personally ,i have been told to gain weight,but i am pretty sure i have found my balance point.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
I'm not thin:p
Well i've got fat every were look at pros and their super defined muscle i'm just tall.

Deyv did you get the blood tests and find out whats screwed up about you:D
i was super thin when i was bout your age, still am, the one thing that is going to happen is you aren't going to lose weight, if anything you are only going to gain weight. your legs and arms will slowly start to become more toned. all will come w/ time don't rush it b/c that will cause complications, BELIEVE me on that one b/c it happened to me.....

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by Serial Midget
I did the body fat dunk at the community college this AM. So Im 16.2. Weenie upper body but pretty beefy legs skewed the results
lard ass! :D

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by indieboy

lard ass! :D
Here's what they got:

wrist = 6.5
biceps = 12.0
chest = 39
waist = 34
hips = 37 (center of ass)
Thighs = 23.5 (one 23.25 the other 23.75)
Calves = 14

All this equal 16.2. If I was able to loose 10 lbs I would be under 10%, for the slow twitch stuff I do they felt this would be ideal.

I will say they are not shy about touching. I didn't think about bringing trunks so I did the whole thing naked. Strange but it was in the men's fitness center. I had a towel when the lady nurse came in to do blood pressure. Mine was 46 (RHR) after 15 minutes of sitting down. They are pretty thorough.