Quantcast

Do you loathe your job?

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
Quick survey. I used to build houses (ran a framing crew) for a living. Every now and then, I would enjoy it - when the sun was out and it was just the friends and I working and listening to music - but more often than not, I hated it.

A couple of years ago, I got an opportunity to go to work for a computer consulting company. At the time, I thought it would be the best job I could hope for, I'd get to work inside, around pretty women, and actually get to use my brain. Almost 1 year ago today, I obtained full-time employment with a company whose work I had previously done on a contract basis, as a network admin. This is a fairly small company (which means that I am the only IT person around, and dictate what I do, when I do it, etc...) I have good benefits, and decent pay... and yet, I really do not like my job. I feel like a bloated pile of feces sitting behind my desk, and find myself wishing I could come up with a job that I could tolerate.

So this is my question - do you like your job? If so - why & what do you do?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I think just about everyone hates the idea of having to be at a certain place at a certain time every day to do some menial task so they can get enough money to live. Life is $hitty that way, and there's really no way around it, unless you win the lottery or something. Though jobless, I have always hated my jobs. Some I hated less than others, but in any case, Id just about always rather be doing anything than working. Thank god TN finally got a lottery.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
BurlyShirley said:
I think just about everyone hates the idea of having to be at a certain place at a certain time every day to do some menial task so they can get enough money to live. Life is $hitty that way, and there's really no way around it, unless you win the lottery or something. Though jobless, I have always hated my jobs. Some I hated less than others, but in any case, Id just about always rather be doing anything than working. Thank god TN finally got a lottery.
:stupid:

Me too.... My job is pretty much cake. I am local desktop support in hospital. I go fix the PC when I want to, come in and leave when I want to and get to have the attitude of It's MY Network! But I would muuuch rather make a living with my art and craft work. It's not that my job sucks, it's just not exactly what I dreamed I would be doing when I grew up.

I should have been an international art theif and gigolo.

SpeedyObnox

Monkey
Aug 7, 2004
my job rocks. i left one bike shop where i was sales only. that place blew, discounts sucked if u werent full time, sometimes ur hours got cut when not busy. and the boss was a DICK! hed try to f u c k you over every chance he got if the store could make a buck. he was always over ur shoulder makin sure u were doin something. now i got a new job as head mechanic at a different shop. pay rocks, atmosphere rocks, boss rocks, discounts rock. i love this place! www.EastCobbBikes.com

SpeedyObnox

Monkey
Aug 7, 2004
ah, the coolest thing. people say like 75% of business deals are done on the golf course, f u c k that. i ran into the manager and he offered me the job out there on the trails!

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
After about 10 years of managing marketing people and/or sales people, I bagged the best gig.

I ,moved back to being an individual contributor in marketing, which means no direct reports, no HR hassles, just work.

At the same pay level.

This has been the best 12 months of my life.

Then the director pulls me aside and says he may need me to lead a team in the future.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
i work in a deli. i cater for them. i get 10% of whatever we sell, so i come home with good tips. on fridays if we are slow, i get to drink a beer. I'm friends with my boss, and most of my co-workers. i like my job. i bust my ass all day. it makes the time go by fast.

I think that i may be getting to old for it though. i'm sick of smelling like food (tuna and kraut being my least favorite) all the time, sick of getting mop water in my shoes, sick of taking attitude from c**ts who think they've walked into subway or mc donalds, and sick of doing ****ing dishes.

its nice though, low stress, flexible schedule, awesome boss. I won't miss it when i'm gone but i have been there for four years and couldn't have asked for a better job while i am trying to get through school.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I'm convinced that computer jobs rot your brain.

s1ngletrack said:
Quick survey. I used to build houses (ran a framing crew) for a living. Every now and then, I would enjoy it - when the sun was out and it was just the friends and I working and listening to music - but more often than not, I hated it.

A couple of years ago, I got an opportunity to go to work for a computer consulting company. At the time, I thought it would be the best job I could hope for, I'd get to work inside, around pretty women, and actually get to use my brain. Almost 1 year ago today, I obtained full-time employment with a company whose work I had previously done on a contract basis, as a network admin. This is a fairly small company (which means that I am the only IT person around, and dictate what I do, when I do it, etc...) I have good benefits, and decent pay... and yet, I really do not like my job. I feel like a bloated pile of feces sitting behind my desk, and find myself wishing I could come up with a job that I could tolerate.

SoCalsurfer

Barney
Nov 1, 2004
Venice, CA
I'm pretty happy with my job(S)....I do pool cleaning. meaning hanging with lonely house wifes all day long. I get to pick my hours completely, which is a HUGE bonus.

I also do some catering stuff, weddings premiers etc....

And finally, I also do some contruction. :p

gschuette

Monkey
Sep 22, 2004
Truck
Ciaran said:
:stupid:

Me too.... My job is pretty much cake. I am local desktop support in hospital. I go fix the PC when I want to, come in and leave when I want to and get to have the attitude of It's MY Network! But I would muuuch rather make a living with my art and craft work. It's not that my job sucks, it's just not exactly what I dreamed I would be doing when I grew up.

I should have been an international art theif and gigolo.
"He's Rick Burns, your companies computer guy"-SNL

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
Ridemonkey said:
I'm convinced that computer jobs rot your brain.
I have a computer job that I :heart: :heart: :heart:

I work on 3D models (3D StudioMax). I get paid to play with shapes, colors, and lights.......essentially have fun all day making little movies.

Then I go home and ride my bike on the local trails.
It's all good!

gschuette

Monkey
Sep 22, 2004
Truck
I have had 3 jobs so far and loved all of them.
First I worked at a Local PONTIACBUICKGMC dealer detailing cars. It was so fun. The concrete floor was way smooth in the detail area. Because of that we would do donuts in small cars and the golf cart. Sometimes we could take cars about a half a mile down the highway. When we did we would get 2 identical cars and dragrace back to the dealer. On Saturdays no supervisors were there so we just sat around and listened to radio all day.
My second job was in a bike shop. Enough said.
Now I work at a welding shop while going to school. I like it cause the pay is good and I mind my own business all day. Since it is so loud I can sing at the top of my lungs and no one will hear.
SCHOOL STILL SUCKS!

greenreese

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
I got the only job I applied for and wanted. I work at a bike shop. I get paid, get to be around people that like the same things as me, learn a ton, and have a blast.

I couldn't ask for anything more.

-dAn

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
the job that i worked for about 6 months sucked (it director for a boutique hotel group). dealing with business people is not overly fun. school is awesome tho, good people and enough challenge to keep me on my toes

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
I'm an accountant and would LOVE to go back to school. Don't get me wrong, I like my job and my profession, but how can you beat going to school for business? Where's the library?

Btw, if someone complains about their job/life/etc and does nothing to improve it, shut up and be proactive.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I like my job. I actually enjoy going into work every day. My job is certainly nothing glamourous, but you get out of it what you put into it.

Today I was named project manager for a major system upgrade at work. It's my first project manager assignment (I am normally in a support role). I'm kind of nervous about it. I'm ACCOUNTABLE. :dead:

anthonysloan

Chimp
Sep 7, 2004
s1ngletrack said:
Yes indeed.

I am a sales manager at one of the most kick-ass bike shops in the country.

I get to talk about what I love.

4 tens.

Free bikes.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
I work on environmental monitoring equipment (along with process control computers and sensors) located on the circled platforms. On call 24/7 every other week rain, snow, hot and cold. It's 220 steps to the platform on the stack to the right. Good thing I'm in shape from mtb'ing.

towelie

Monkey
May 14, 2003
Santa Barbara county
I work in government, in a big cube farm. The job could be much worse, but I do not fill fulfilled working there. Upper management is more concerned with leaving their mark and making sure things APPEAR to be going well than actually focusing on and understanding the mission. It is all about the promotion & looking good. It is totally "Office Space".

I'd really like to NOT work in a cube farm and do something more creative, not management related. I'm always brainstorming ideas to for my own business of some kind.

SpeedyObnox

Monkey
Aug 7, 2004
wtf, i do that, well, no. 2 9 hour days, then an 8 hour day, then a 5 hour day. then a day at school, then a day in this girls pants, then another day at school. then the cycle starts over again

Apr 26, 2002
Victoria, BC
Well I loath walking through the doors at work every day. I am an IT support tech at a multinational foreign exchange company that is expanding very rapidly. While that sounds great, it is not. As we have grown so fast and the CEO is always looking ahead at new opportunities...the IT dept gets **** all. Right now there are 7 of us supporting all users in head office and in all branches around the world...around 80 end users for each support staff and growing every day. Not too bad if you are just doing support, but we do all the sourcing of hardware and software, buying, testing, implementing and all that good stuff. We also, manage AD and the exchange server for the most part and sometime go to the branches and set them up. The management is very disorganized and does not know how to handle the level of calls that we are seeing....plus the different teams implement new tools before we even know what they are....so a user calls us about a program we know NOTHING about....kinda fun, for the first few times, but it gets old when you have 300 other things that really need your attention. I could go on and on....but the place is a mess, the moral of the team is very bad because of some management decisions and if a headhunter came in there they would be wiped out. It's sad to see because I think it could be a pretty cool job if the management would manage and if we had the proper tools and backing to do our job properly. We have talked to our boss and nothing is happening....that is very frustrating, because we have a feeling that something big is going to go sideways and we are going to look bad.....and I do not like that because we work our ass's off to keep that place afloat, and do not ever hear a thank you...or job well done. That is not why I got into this business....but it would be nice to hear.

I worked in retail for many years and after becoming manager and making **** all, I went back to school to better myself....and this is where it has brought me....the money is better but I have a hollow pit...something is missing.

On a good note, I started a website and it does bring me happiness....it is fun and we are working on big things, not expecting to make money...but put two of my favorite things together and I like it.....

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Don't have a job right now as I am in college. I must say, though, I worked for The Man this summer (albeit, doing conservation work) and even though it was pretty low stress, I was outdoors a lot and I got to learn quite a bit and meet some cool people, the student life is much better. I had to deal with a lot of crap working for the gov (Forest Service in Boise National Fores if you were interested). Even though now I get less sleep, have less time to myself, cannot ride or go outside as much and live in virtually constant stress, I prefer it over working.

SpeedyObnox

Monkey
Aug 7, 2004
girls and mxpx both suck! im jk, i love them both dearly! hey man, do you do photography full time or is that part time? i saw u post somewhere about liking ur part time...

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I used to love my job. I would spend my time at work running around with a camera shooting "the zany weather man", cooking segments, interviews, outside weather shots, I got to shoot bands every friday, etc... And in my downtime i would do some editting & graphics work. All of this was very fun & rewarding. But it was parttime & it paid very *censored*. (but the work rocked!)

THEN when I wanted more $$$ for a car & an engagement ring for La & a bigger place to live & took a $hitty full time job sitting in Master Control for 8+ hours doing a thankless job, that no one notices until you *censored* up, with a terrible, illiterate, pshycho boss who pushes her work load on to everyone else. I never get to see the sun or clouds or whatever outside becasue I am stuck in the bowels of the TV station baking in the glow of tons of monitors.

I could go on & on about how terrible it is but this job has allowed me to get married & get some other stuff straight in my life, so I gues it is time to move on.

I think evetually I am going to go back to school fulltime. I want to teach, like BS & stosh's g/f & treesaw, etc.... :D

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
TN said:
I think evetually I am going to go back to school fulltime. I want to teach, like BS & stosh's g/f & treesaw, etc.... :D
That's the best, I actually have my degree in secondary ed. - but cannot afford to live on a teacher's salary. Oh well - I'm off to a focus group on banking software - wooo HOOOOO!!! Have a good day :)

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Well, there's a reason its called "work" and not "play"

But my job's not bad. I have good days and bad days, but lately its been pretty good. Not a heavy work load, very few crazy deadlines, I get to leave on time every day, the pay is the best I've ever had and my boss is really cool. All my clients are inhouse, so its easier to tell them "Um, that's stupid. No we're not going to do that". But it is work. Every day I look out my window at the mountains and wish I wasn't here.

Sure beats St. Louis, though.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
s1ngletrack said:
That's the best, I actually have my degree in secondary ed. - but cannot afford to live on a teacher's salary. Oh well - I'm off to a focus group on banking software - wooo HOOOOO!!! Have a good day :)
30K a year in TN is liveable, seriously, and with summers off, totally worth it. I couldnt do it most places in the country, but the south is awesome.