Quantcast

Do you lock your car?

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
After driving all last summer with no top on my Jeep I have noticed I do not lock either my Jeep or truck anymore. I never have anything in either vehicle that looks tempting to take. Really the only things in either vehicle is whats in the glove box typical car registration and things like that and random trash or riding gear.

How many of you guys are very diligent about locking your cars?

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
i dont lock it at home but i also live down a private dirt road and on a farm. if its at night and i come home i lock it to make sure i turned my headlights off. if i go anywhere but home i lock the doors.

renorider40

Monkey
Aug 22, 2005
i almost never do. i've been getting better with it though. just cause a couple times i've left it unlocked over night and had two ipods stolen

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
My Jeep is older a 91 and my truck is a 2004. I just make sure there is noting in them to steal. Of course someone could rip the radio out if they wanted.

Mr Big

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
The Betty Ford Clinic
Two days ago I was at a gas station and some guy in front of me in line yelled out "call the cops someone is stealing my car!" apparently he left his car running in the front of the store and the guy "on the pay phone" jumped in his car and drove off. I felt pretty bad for the guy but thought what an idiot. I always lock my car. Especailly since I live in El Paso where auto thefts are really rampant. Thieves just drive them across the border and sell them no matter how old or beat up they are.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
We rarely lock them at home. I would rather someone just open it up and see there is nothing to steal than bust my window out. Depending on where I go, I usually lock it when out.

j.les

Monkey
Jul 21, 2007
Chicago
I drive a Jeep with a soft top so no point in locking it. I've always locked my doors in previous vehicles, but it didn't matter cause every one of them was broken into.

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
I drive a Jeep with a soft top so no point in locking it. I've always locked my doors in previous vehicles, but it didn't matter cause every one of them was broken into.
I know a lot of Jeep owners like you that never lock the Jeep. Just for the fact that it is so easy to just cut though the soft top and they are very expensive to replace.

It seems like if you lock the car or leave valuable things in plan sight you make it more tempting. I look around my cars all the time and ask myself is there anything worth taking? I have always done this.

I would never leave my car running unattended anywhere but my driveway.

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
I think anyone that has been mountain biking for a few years knows if you ever need a car just go to a trailhead. Start opening gas tank doors and you are sure to find at least one set of keys. You will most likely get a few cars to choose from.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I always lock my car and I also remove the steering wheel and I have a kill switch:D...when I was in Cali I had to. Integra's are the most stolen cars in Cali..so I still do the same here just out of habit...D

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
When I lived in Vermont and the burbs in NJ, I often didn't. Living in New Haven now, I think it's probably a good idea. I am much more diligent about it.

It depends where I am...If i'm in my 'neighborhood' no. I even leave my bike on the rack unlocked. At my trail, I can even leave the windows down on it. Everybody knows each others vehicles and the parking lot is always busy, so if someone is nosing around...
The only time that we have break-ins is during the early morning. It's always the same time amd the same items get took.
Laptops, Ipods, etc..
If I go into Atlanta or anywhere more than 10 miles away, it's always locked.

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
I have a jeep with a bikini top(no rear windows) and I still lock it for some reason.... I figure Ill make someone work for my loose change and BK receipts.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
After having 2 Accords stolen here in downtown Phoenix, I'm surprised if my car is even there in the morning.

My soft top Wrangler had such a sensitive alarm, it was always going off and never got stolen.

I left the new top down on my Triumph TR7 as the cassette player was worth so much less than replacing a sliced top. No one ever touched it, but I jumped onto a rained on seat a couple times.

Fuq it, they're just cars...

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
Fuq it, they're just cars...
That is about how I feel.

I have thought about putting a kill switch on the Jeep. I know most older Jeeps if you do not lock the ignition you do not need a key to start them. I kind of like that feature myself.

Bushwhacker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
Tar Effing River!! NC
I've never locked my truck, keys are always in it. I've never locked my house, locks merely keep an honest man honest. If they want your stuff bad enough no lock is going to stop em, if all my **** is going to be gone at least I don't have to replace a door. I've never had anything stolen from me.

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
I once had a stereo stolen out of my locked car, and the thieves lock the car when they were done. I have also had my car rifled while in my drive way. I now always lock my truck, and I lock it with my key, because I have twice locked my keys in the car.

kingbee

Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Ohio
If I have something worth more than my windows in my Cherokee, I lock it. I usually don't have anything in there so I keep it unlocked. I would rather someone not bust out my windows to find out theres nothing worth taking.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
never used to until our street got hit by tweakers. when the cops caught up w/ them a month later, their hotel room was packed to the ceiling w/ people's crap, and they were days away from starting their ID theft supply line chain. you'd be amazed at what a good start your registration & ins paperwork will give someone.

close call. not doing that again.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Another advantage of owning $hitty old cars. :thumb:
I had a '76 monte carlo stolen out of my driveway in the sticks once. The driver side door didn't open, it dies when you took a turn too fast (something about the carborator not floating right), there was no AC or radio, the gear shift didn't really show what gear you were in, and when they were backing down my driveway (probably turned off with no power steering) they hit a planter and knocked the other door handle off meaning that both doors couldn't be opened from the outside.

I left my keys in the front seat every night because I never in a million years thought somebody would steal the POS.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I had a '76 monte carlo stolen out of my driveway in the sticks once. The driver side door didn't open, it dies when you took a turn too fast (something about the carborator not floating right), there was no AC or radio, the gear shift didn't really show what gear you were in, and when they were backing down my driveway (probably turned off with no power steering) they hit a planter and knocked the other door handle off meaning that both doors couldn't be opened from the outside.

I left my keys in the front seat every night because I never in a million years thought somebody would steal the POS.
Another advantage with owning a pile of $hit - when someone DOES steal it you actually are relieved that you can find a new car. :D

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
I always lock my car (except when its in my garage). It has become second nature for me to remote lock it everytime I leave. Even if it is only to run in a store to get milk. Same goes with the seatbelt. I feel weird driving without it so it is always on even if only for a minute.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
I think anyone that has been mountain biking for a few years knows if you ever need a car just go to a trailhead. Start opening gas tank doors and you are sure to find at least one set of keys. You will most likely get a few cars to choose from.
I've never heard of doing that. Why wouldn't they just take their keys with them? Are that much of weight weenies? They deserve to get their cars stolen. Same goes for the morons that leave their cars running while they run into a store. Is it that hard to turn the key to start your car? Idiots.