Quantcast

Do you look both ways before crossing the street?

How many times do you look before crossing?

• Total voters

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
When j-walking on the bike, I always keep the eyes peeled in both directions; quite like a chameleon. Its amazing how cars and even town buses can literally appear out of nowhere!

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
What amazes me is how many people these days are taught it doesnt matter because the pedestrian has the right of way anyways so traffic has to stop.....

Sickens me to see somoene walk their entire family into a busy intersection without hesitation or any double check at all.

Kids these days... let me tell ya

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
What amazes me is how many people these days are taught it doesnt matter because the pedestrian has the right of way anyways so traffic has to stop.....

Sickens me to see somoene walk their entire family into a busy intersection without hesitation or any double check at all.

Kids these days... let me tell ya
I hate to post this story because it should be analyzed deeply:

MARIETTA, Ga. -- A Georgia woman received a year of probation on Tuesday in the jaywalking death of her 4-year-old son, but the judge also made the unusual move of offering her a chance to clear her name at a new trial. The mother of two surviving children says she's satisfied with the outcome of the hearing.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/25/raquel-nelson-this-will-never-end_n_908448.html

This is the more in-depth story explaining what actually happened.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I voted for option 3.
Seems like most did. Been hit twice on the bike and was in a bad car accident a few years ago (Drunk driver T-boned us). So like Pesqueeb, maybe I'm paranoid now. But I'd rather be paranoid then dead!

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I assume that the idiot behind the wheel is so busy jacking off on making a facebook post that they don't even notice that they are driving a car in traffic. I look aound all the time while crossing. It really sucks to become someones hood ornament

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I look both ways. I pray while humbly looking down then up to praise jesus. The lord will allow me to cross the street safely.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
I find this Pole to be very we-drive-on-the-right-centric and I'd like to register my protest at the lack of a "look right-left-right" option.

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
This girl here...

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=84029667324

Was struck and killed in Ocean City Maryland three years ago. She was crossing the road with her iPod on and apparently they think she thought if you are in the cross walk the cars would stop like in her home town. She didn't look at all according to witnesses, she just rode right across the cross walk with her music on. She went across three lanes of traffic while cars in all three lanes hit the breaks hard and stopped and she had made it until she got to the last lane, the bus/left hand turn lane and a soft drink truck kept moving forward unable to see her until she popped out behind the last car and he was going too fast to stop in time and struck her at about 30mph killing her instantly.

I met her 17 hours before she died. My buddy liked her and called her over when we were at this all day/night club at the beach where she worked. I found out 17 hours later she was the one that was killed on Ocean Highway. She was a sweet girl. Here's the article.

http://www.oceancitytoday.net/news/2009-06-26/front_page/001.html

Here's a shot from the scene on 33rd street. you can see her body covered in a white sheet still on the ground just beyond her twisted up beach cruiser bike and the truck is in the bus lane stopped. It was pretty sad.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_RnRejIPRpAY/SkJfOxP8VhI/AAAAAAAAFa4/AH7IDF5hjeQ/s1600-h/Fatality.bmp

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
OC MD... Awesome... but who the F would cross that road w/o looking? It is quite a few lanes wide and always packed with drunks.

We had a place up near um... 115th maybe (just down from Carousel and across from Goldcoast mall). I was young at the time (grade school - high school) and it was engrained in me... WATCH OUT when crossing.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
OC MD... Awesome... but who the F would cross that road w/o looking? It is quite a few lanes wide and always packed with drunks.
We had a place up near um... 115th maybe (just down from Carousel and across from Goldcoast mall). I was young at the time (grade school - high school) and it was engrained in me... WATCH OUT when crossing.
You would be absolutly amazed how many people just take it for granted that traffic always see's them and will yeild right of way......