Quantcast

do you own any foreign language-sung rock albums?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
seems English is king in rock, in no small part because of the huge influence that american and UK bands have had in its formation and evolution. but, there are tons of great bands and ideas from other countries outside the anglo-centric world...what's yr collection look like?

i am prompted by this thread because a Dungen song just came on...modern day swedes really playing the 60s hard psych card well. and sung in swedish.

others...Os Mutantes (brazilian psych band from the 60s featuring Caetano Veloso); Sigur Ros (well, it's not icelandic, but they make up their own language); Super Furry Animals (Mwng is a great lp sung entirely in Welsh); a lot of japanese bands on the PSF and other labels (keiji haino, kan mikami, etc); Kemialliset Ystävät (a bunch of weirdo Finns making avant-garde improv stuff); any number of French crooners (Serge Gainsbourg, etc)...i've got some 60s psych comps from places like Mexico, Cambodia, etc but that's kinda cheating.

i can't believe that i am coming up blank w/ spanish or german bands.

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
Refused - coupla' Swedish tracks - I love Refused
Soulfly - Portegese

Spanish - Mars Volta, Downset

German - Rammstein, do Can and Kraftwerk sing many songs in German?

Edit:
I would like to add that one could hardly consider many modern rap songs to be English.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i think Faust has some German songs...the singers for Can were American (Malcolm Mooney, currently living in Boston!) and Japanese (Damo Suzuki).

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I own Os Mutantes. I read that Beck's Mutations, my favorite of his albums, was influenced greatly by them.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Enginerd A2 said:
I have a couple Air albums, if one would consider them a rock band. Can Frenchies even rock? I can't think of an example.
sub pop put out a single by french punk Les Thugs back in the day...if you like prog rock, Magma is french. but really, 'French' and 'rock' are almost mutually exclusive.

i do dig Air, though. :thumb:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Does Supltura count? I think they sing in English, but can't speak it, nor can you understand it. Isn't that just as good?

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
in spanish.

"hombres g". 80s spaniards who are quite popular and good. poppish kinda rock.
"loquillo y los trogloditas" anothers 80s spaniards who are good. "la matare" is a nice song.
"los rodriguez" argentineans with quite a few good songs.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Rammstein all the way man. OR Blumentopf, I downloaded two of their songs and they are like a German Rap group. They sound pretty cool. And if you want pop German, check out Silbermond, they have some pretty catchy music.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
M.I.A. is a rapper chick from Sri Lanka, her albumn came out this year and is quite good. It almost borders on dance/pop though.

I also have Control Machete who are rappers from Mexico and quite a bit harder.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
I've gotten a few different cds from around...

Brujeria --> Spanish metal
Schwein --> German/Japanese industrial thrash
BuckTick --> Japanese industrial thrash
Einsturzende Neubauten --> German old-school industrial
Crash --> Korean metal
Therion --> German/Spanish/Swedish? eurometal

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Brujeria - the ultimate heavy mexican metal.
Zeni Geva -Japan noise metal. KK Null is the front man, and is in some other cool projects.
Edge of Sanity- Norwegian metal.
Carahter- forget where they are from, but there from some latin country.
KMFDM- German industrial... now living in seattle... Have the new record that has a bunch of german. I hear their old stuff was also mostly in german.
Corrupted- Metal in spanish.

im sure i have more... SOme would say most of the metal i listen too is also in a foriegn language since you cant understand one word they say....

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
oly said:
Zeni Geva -Japan noise metal. KK Null is the front man, and is in some other cool projects.
i saw these guys ages ago...good show!

you ever see Ruins? two japanese guys, one on drums and the other on bass. kinda pre-dated Lightning Bolt by at least a decade.