Quantcast

do you punch your spokes?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
wheelbuilders, do you guys use the DT Proline spoke head driver to seat the spoke heads in the flange? any idea if a punch would work?

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
i have a torx T-25 that i use. it's about 7" long with a fat, flat ended handle, and the torx end is big enough to cover most of the spoke head. it's much easier to use than a punch.
so yeah, you can pretty much use anything, far as i know. someone please tell me if i'm wrong and i've been screwing up wheels all these years.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
I have the DT punch and use it. To tell you the truth, it's not that great a tool. The concave on the end of the punch is too deep. Depending on how well the particular combo of spoke & hub are seating together, the punch will contact the hub flange. I'm shure a regular flat ended punch would work fine. Just more prone to walk off the head when you wack at it.

J

JRB

I throw koolaid on mine. It's not really punch, but I guess I would in a bind.

*never done anything really special.

Buck Fever

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Hipsterville USA
Only when they deserve it. That said, I haven't had to do it for a while. I've found that when they give you some $h1t, you punch them while they're in front of all the other spokes and you won't have problems for a while.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
alrighty, well then...the Craftsman list for today includes:

20mm socket
11mm socket
ball-ended metric hex set
some of those pick things (look like skinny, grounded down screwdrivers)
punch

what i really need is a bigger freakin toolbox, but i can hardly lift the one i have now into my truck.

Buck Fever

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Hipsterville USA
the Inbred said:
alrighty, well then...the Craftsman list for today includes:

20mm socket
11mm socket
ball-ended metric hex set
some of those pick things (look like skinny, grounded down screwdrivers)
punch

what i really need is a bigger freakin toolbox, but i can hardly lift the one i have now into my truck.
for the pick, I grind a spoke into a lethal point after bending the other end into a loopy "T". It's extremely useful.

Craftsman makes a very nice 1/8" drift punch that works great on spoke heads. It works even better if you have the inclination to grind the tip with a spherical grinding tool.

J

JRB

the Inbred said:
lazy. and i wanted one of the neato little hooked ones.
I got some bad assed dental picks at a gun show that I was dragged to.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
do 12pt sockets fit hex heads? i accidently grabbed a 12pt 11mm socket, and it won't fit the corresponding bolt on my Sherman. i used an 11mm nut driver, and the fit was quite snug, but still fit. (the manual said to use an 11mm socket or nut driver)

J

JRB

6 pt sockets fit with a better grip. That is why they say to use them. With a 12 pt, there is part of the nut that is untouched. With 6 pt, it is all touched.