Quantcast

do you think a helicopter would work in space?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
well how about thrust via a rocket? what is it working against if there's nothing to create friction?

sorry, I'm bored at work...don't know much about space etc., except that's it's totally sweet and so are helicopters.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
well how about thrust via a rocket? what is it working against if there's nothing to create friction?

sorry, I'm bored at work...don't know much about space etc., except that's it's totally sweet and so are helicopters.
Space is cool but it is no particle colider thing or skunk ape rather.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
First of all it would have to be an electric helicopter or have oxygen tanks added. Then it would spin in all kinds of crazy directions, it would at least be fun.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Is it possible that you are also high?
Imagine that you can do a day's worth of work in 1 hour at your job. Now try to find ways to occupy your time for the next 7 hours. Do that 5 days a repeat. repeat x8. My brain is so fried from checking gmail every 2 seconds that this is the best I can come up with.

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
Sure it will. It isn't the wheels that generate force, its the turbines. How fast the wheels are rolling underneath is a moot point.
I'm taking a shot in the dark here by saying the turbines are also moot if enough air is flowing over the airfoil.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Think of the all the positions you could manage in space. They would have to re-write the kama-sutra.

Makes me also think human powered jet propulsion is also possible.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Think of the all the positions you could manage in space. They would have to re-write the kama-sutra.

Makes me also think human powered jet propulsion is also possible.
Kinda like under water, sorta, but without the clumsy space suits.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Helicopter in space...... No go, Helicopter needs atmosphere to work

Airplane on a treadmill.......Come on guys, dont you watch mythbusters??? They made a runway size treadmill of sorts and had a cesna take off.

Rockets...... Uses a chemical reaction to make thrust, Helicopter use air flow to create thrust.....

Projectile Propulsion.... I think I just threw up a little.