Quantcast

Do you think I need a new bike?

Rambo

Chimp
Apr 12, 2010
I have a 2001 Schwinn Pro stock XS and recently the chain snapped and my chain wheel bent. I kind of want a new bike as im starting to get a bit better(also I do dirt jumps/street and this is a racing bike). Although I feel it would be stupid to get a new bike over two small pieces breaking, but I don't think I can justify spending $40 or so on a 10 year old bike, were I'm not even using it for what its meant for. Also, I got this bike a few years ago, not in 01. What do you think I should do/what would you do if you were in my situation?Also, when I got this bike I didn't know it was for racing, so don't flame me.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
I have a 2001 Schwinn Pro stock XS and recently the chain snapped and my chain wheel bent. I kind of want a new bike as im starting to get a bit better(also I do dirt jumps/street and this is a racing bike). Although I feel it would be stupid to get a new bike over two small pieces breaking, but I don't think I can justify spending $40 or so on a 10 year old bike, were I'm not even using it for what its meant for. Also, I got this bike a few years ago, not in 01. What do you think I should do/what would you do if you were in my situation?Also, when I got this bike I didn't know it was for racing, so don't flame me.
I think you would enjoy a new bike. The Schwinns from that era (90s and early 00's) were actually very-well built for that time. For a while in the 90's Schwinn had a rad team, with Jay Miron, Brian Foster, Joey Garcia, etc.

Schwinn "American Muscle"
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5577548528716588852#

But, times have changed . . . and BMX bikes these days are waaaay lighter than your era of bike. The geometry is different (shorter back end, sometimes steeper head angles). I think you'll definitely be stoked on a new complete bmx. Check albes.com , empirebmx.com , danscomp.com etc.

Last edited:

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I say fix and ride that bike. It will give you experience working on your bike and it sounds like a fine bike for learning to ride as well.

Buy a chain breaker...

Rambo

Chimp
Apr 12, 2010
I say fix and ride that bike. It will give you experience working on your bike and it sounds like a fine bike for learning to ride as well.

Buy a chain breaker...
I have a lot of experience working on it and i've been riding/jumping it for the past 3 years, it's not like I just started. I am just starting to get more serious and the frame is for racing so i'm afraid it will snap.