Quantcast

Do you use a personal locator beacon (PLB) or satellite communicator?

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Whatya got, if you have one? What do you like/dislike about it?

Are you curious about getting one, but have questions?

I have a DeLorme InReach I bought from someone on CL, which still works on the Garmin plan/network now that Garmin bought them. I have used it a handful of times, generally when I am way the heck out in the backcountry somewhere and solo. It's been handy on a few occasions like the time in Montana when riding a big point-to-point route solo, incorrectly read the map and mistook a 2000' climb as being a descent, and undershot my ETA by probably 2-3 hours. Teh Spousal Unit™ was appreciative I could send her a message to let her know I was fine, I'd just be real late. Fortunately I've never needed it for something truly critical. I'm a fan, and feel like it's a good tool to have when needed.

I also have an older Spot tracker that I should maybe see about chucking on Ebay or something. Though the Spot has been useful at times (like when we raced Baja 1000) if I'm gonna carry something I'd prefer to be able to send more detailed messages than what the Spot allows for. Hence the DeLorme.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Been using the Garmin In-reach mini exclusively for the last 5 years or so, it maps to your phone with decent baselayers, can send texts and messages easily without any emergency status and Garmin has a very robust SAR insurance/medivac policy that is worth its weight in gold. It has a ton of options for mounting on anything, small enough to carry in your pocket on international trips and has great battery life and doesnt take much juice to charge in the back country with a small powerbank. I have a powered cradle mount on all my moto's for it as well as in my vehicles. If there was something better, I would be using it.

Last edited:

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Been using the Garmin In-reach mini exclusively for the last 5 years or so, it maps to your phone with decent baselayers, can send texts and messages easily without any emergency status and Garmin has a very robust SAR insurance/medivac policy that is worth its weight in gold. If there was something better, I would be using it.
What app does the InReach mini pair to? The app the DeLorme uses is Earthmate (I think) and it's probably leftover from the DeLorme days. The UI of both the device itself and the app are super dated and not all that great, but you can still get a message out. I'm not in the market for a new device, but if I were I'd hope the usability of the interfaces would be better.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm considering getting the in-reach for some future dive drips where we'll be out there. Waterproof case is a must for my use case. Will be following this thread.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
What app does the InReach mini pair to? The app the DeLorme uses is Earthmate (I think) and it's probably leftover from the DeLorme days. The UI of both the device itself and the app are super dated and not all that great, but you can still get a message out. I'm not in the market for a new device, but if I were I'd hope the usability of the interfaces would be better.
I would assume the Garmin connect app, or possibly a specific app for the in reach.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
IMG_3350.png

IMG_3351.png

Yep, Garmin used the cartography from Earthmate which is essentially Delorme. It may not be as robust as google maps or equivalent but it has to be fairly simple to use and be stable unlike google maps or equivalent. They are always updating the layers and the app to where I have never had a freeze or crash which is important to me. It will give you basic turn by turns for nav and has a decent topo layer for dropping pins and overland nav. I like the simplicity.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
In reach is not a PLB, its a sat communicator. Look up 406mhz PLB, they are an actual PLB. They send coordinates to the NOAA SARSAT directly (most countries have an equivalent) which goes directly to the local RCC. No commercial 3rd party. They also have a terminal homing beacon, which is a big deal for S&R, not to mention they can direct receive the 406 from helos, etc. its what we require planes to have. No subscription, more watts than sat communicators. Its what to use if you want to be found. In reach is nice for coms, like texts. I have both. For all practical coms purposes (not SOS) the mini needs to pair with a phone and you need to use the phone for messaging.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Been using the Garmin In-reach mini exclusively for the last 5 years or so, it maps to your phone with decent baselayers, can send texts and messages easily without any emergency status and Garmin has a very robust SAR insurance/medivac policy that is worth its weight in gold. It has a ton of options for mounting on anything, small enough to carry in your pocket on international trips and has great battery life and doesnt take much juice to charge in the back country with a small powerbank. I have a powered cradle mount on all my moto's for it as well as in my vehicles. If there was something better, I would be using it.
SAR is paid by taxes and in any reasonable civilized country, free. The Garmin insurance is largely a scam.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
There are in reaches that are decent for nav, but thats the Montana-size, not mini. You wouldnt want to nav with the the mini, despite it technically being capable of it. Buy it for sat coms and sos, not nav.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
I run a Resqlink 400 PLB.

Works anywhere on the planet, has a reasonable runtime, both infared and visible strobe.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
what plan do you run

I was thinking consumer: annual: recreation

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
My PLB is a ResQLink too, it's about the size of a bike multi-tool, not buoyant though.

Also, on the In Reach side of things, you can use it as a tracker, where other people can see your progress. It'll also run a long time in Extended Tracking mode, but that also disconnects your phone, so you won't see any msgs that way.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
We hike with a RescueME PLB1.

I went with a PLB over the InReach because a) we almost always hike together, so casual, "I'm gonna be late" messages aren't very useful, and b) there are two of us, we're pretty fit, have detailed plans, multiple maps, travel with emergency gear and extra supplies, etc. - so if we do end up needing it, it's highly likely to be a, "send the cavalry because things are dire" type of circumstance. That benefits less from the nuanced messaging of the InReach.

PLBs are generally more accurate for search and rescue because they have a local beacon and a strobe as well as the GPS signal. The InReach provides more functionality.

If Jenn and I didn't hike together all the time, or we had someone else monitoring our hiking, I probably would have gone with the InReach for the text messaging capabilities. When my mom and sister were traveling together, I got them an InReach because their emergencies were far more likely to be stuff like running out of gas, or getting stuck on a back road without cell phone coverage - situations where you want to tell someone about it, but don't need a helicopter flown in.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
We use these Iridium devices for work, but recently supplemented them with a cell-based tracker as well. We use them for general personnel accountability, though.

If I was in the wilderness, I'd want something 406 capable...no subscriptions, simple/robust, break glass in case of real emergency.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
We use these Iridium devices for work, but recently supplemented them with a cell-based tracker as well. We use them for general personnel accountability, though.

If I was in the wilderness, I'd want something 406 capable...no subscriptions, simple/robust, break glass in case of real emergency.

Yeah that's also basically the package we use at work when we get deployed in NZ or overseas.
Iridium, and when in transit on roads, an app called Get Home Safe that's monitored from the 24/7 Ops center, plus a PLB that's simple enough for someone on the edge of consciousness to set off one handed.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
So iMessage via satellite is a thing as of iOS 18 + iPhone 14 or newer.

IMG_3255.jpeg

Globalstar vs Iridium. But one fewer device and no fees at least as of now. I’m going to test it out and return my inReach to REI before 90 days if it’s adequate. I’ll be on the hook for 9 more months of the yearly contract I signed up for but that’s negligible ultimately.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
One thing in-reach can do is extended tracking mode, it will go a few days on the battery w/o recharging, updating your position every 30 min or hour or whatever. That's good for extended trips and phone batteries would be wiped out fast. That's one of my main issues with a phone, the battery IME. If it gets cold and your phone is not in lower-body pocket, it'll wipe the battery out even faster.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
One thing in-reach can do is extended tracking mode, it will go a few days on the battery w/o recharging, updating your position every 30 min or hour or whatever. That's good for extended trips and phone batteries would be wiped out fast. That's one of my main issues with a phone, the battery IME. If it gets cold and your phone is not in lower-body pocket, it'll wipe the battery out even faster.
That is a very valid point given your use case! Not so relevant for me :)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I think the satellite messaging is super cool, but for me it means, "buy a PLB instead of an InReach" rather than, "skip buying another device."

Cell phones in general are just not the best emergency option in the back country. If something bad happens, you are not going to want to be looking at the little guide on your screen that says, "move to a more open area and point your phone at the sky" - or, worse, looking at a cracked black screen.

Having a robustly constructed device with a dedicated battery whose sole purpose is to get you home alive is a pretty huge bit of functionality for ~116g (which is what my PLB weighs).

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I think the satellite messaging is super cool, but for me it means, "buy a PLB instead of an InReach" rather than, "skip buying another device."

Cell phones in general are just not the best emergency option in the back country. If something bad happens, you are not going to want to be looking at the little guide on your screen that says, "move to a more open area and point your phone at the sky" - or, worse, looking at a cracked black screen.

Having a robustly constructed device with a dedicated battery whose sole purpose is to get you home alive is a pretty huge bit of functionality for ~116g (which is what my PLB weighs).

Or burning up the battery on your emergency device taking pictures and taking some personal time in the wilderness with a spank bank image folder, or so I've heard.

My father bought me a PLB a while back after I made the mistake of telling him about a solo MTB in the wilderness when I came across an un-melted snow field with about 100' of exposure and having to turn around after decided that I couldn't safely kick in steps and carry my bike in dumb bike shoes.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

I’m going to get that rescueme PLB in August when I return the inReach.