Quantcast

Do you yell at yourself when riding?

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
I ride alone 90% of the time. I spend weekends w/my family, and ride trail on my Fridays off. I'm in crappy shape and I ride to keep it from getting crappier, to get that awesome buzz, and to conquer parts of the trail that kicked my butt last time.

Since my first real mountain bike ride, I've found that I do a lot of yelling on the trail. "Come on!" when I'm trying to get one more pedal-stroke up to the top of a steep rise, "Yah!" when I make it, "B!%ch" at that big root that stops on the way up, "Woohoo" (think Homer on crystal meth) going down the steep stuff.

I know the disc golfers nearby hear me, but I know they don't care either. I'm pretty sure I've yelled when riding with other people, but they never say anything about it (to my face).

So, do you yell at yourself (or nobody) when you're riding? When? What?

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
Fathead said:
I ride alone 90% of the time. I spend weekends w/my family, and ride trail on my Fridays off. I'm in crappy shape and I ride to keep it from getting crappier, to get that awesome buzz, and to conquer parts of the trail that kicked my butt last time.

Since my first real mountain bike ride, I've found that I do a lot of yelling on the trail. "Come on!" when I'm trying to get one more pedal-stroke up to the top of a steep rise, "Yah!" when I make it, "B!%ch" at that big root that stops on the way up, "Woohoo" (think Homer on crystal meth) going down the steep stuff.

I know the disc golfers nearby hear me, but I know they don't care either. I'm pretty sure I've yelled when riding with other people, but they never say anything about it (to my face).

When I kick a stunt's azz or an obsticle or something that I have had a bit of trouble stomping in the past. I get excited, So i gotta yell.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
i Yell more when im riding my road bike, and it gets real painful, i justta gotta yell something.

Its fun when you riding up the lifts at n* to listen to the guys going down the runs

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
yes, all the time. i yell "come on" a lot, at my bike, at my legs, and my pysche. whatever is keeping me down. its like the louder i yell, better it goes. sometimes when the ride is going really bad i cuss. i try to keep all that to a minimum because rarely do i ride alone.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Yeah i'm known to hoot and holla as i come down the mountain. If I'm trying to go really fast i talk to myself to keep pumped and rail turns.

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
Fathead said:
Haha, glad to know I'm not the only one who does that - only on really tough climbs though. I'm my own drill sgt.
"Get your ass up that hill private, move it!!"

Of course, lot's of expletives usually accompany said motivational abuse.
:p

J

JRB

I do yell and talk, but general consensus here would think I am weird. :D

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Mostly i just think it but occasionally the words come blurting out....

but i'll yell from time to time when i'm screamin down the trail. As time goes by you get faster and faster, so you can say whatever the hell you want since you dust everyone anyways. :)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
on long climbs i'll try to mentally replay/whistle under my breath entire pieces of music. ya know it's a long climb when you make it through a movement or three of a symphony... :D

when dhing i'll scream every once in a while when something particularly fun is conquered

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
Toshi said:
on long climbs i'll try to mentally replay/whistle under my breath entire pieces of music. ya know it's a long climb when you make it through a movement or three of a symphony... :D

when dhing i'll scream every once in a while when something particularly fun is conquered
Now, THAT's different! I couldn't finish a movement of any major work on a single ride. . . I would get too distracted by obstacles, uphills, crashes, etc.

If I ever made it to the 3rd movement of the average symphony it would be especially bad. 3rd movements almost always put me to sleep. Since "just past the halfway point" is usually my slowest part of a ride, I would prolly just slow to a complete stop and slip into a deep sleep.

I forgot one of my favorites: "dipsh!t" for when I grip-check a tree.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I used to yell at myself, but it really sounds like bedroom talk, so I stopped out of fear of getting arrested.