Quantcast

Dob magnesium

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
I have seen some recent posts regarding the super light weight magnesium frames and rims that Dob has out now. Does anyone have any experience on them yet?

Does anyone know of a North American retailer that is carrying them?

Images such as this one worry me a bit... (ignore the Koxx sticker)

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
Just stirring the pot :)

I am all for anything that reduced weight at a reasonable cost.
When durability (or safety) becomes an issue, it is very questionable.

One rogue rider can always make a frame or company look bad. It certainly brings concerns, though.

LINEbyLINE

Chimp
Mar 31, 2008
I have seen slot of people rocking DOB frames and rims and really haven't heard many complaints. I have also seen that picture before and I don't think it a common problem but more of a single bad frame possibly mixed with a heavy rider. What do you weigh? If your a big heavy guy you might want to think twice about it.

OntRox

Chimp
Sep 5, 2008
the guy who broke the frame is about 65kilo... and he broke the frame in two weeks...

SDH Racing

Monkey
Apr 5, 2006
NE
Can happen to any bike with enough force. I broke my Echo stock the same exact way and all I was doing was hopping onto a little two foot platform and 3rd time was a charm...
Thankfully I had my hands out and didn't bust my chin open on the cement when it gave way. And come to find out, the tubing was almost paper thin which made the break understandable.

jjym

Chimp
Nov 17, 2008
I would not use magnesium on any structural parts like the frame or fork. Reason being is that magnesium is so corrosive that it pits and weakens in air and does so much faster in humid air. If there's moisture inside your tubes and it's exposed to the bare metal, which would be inevitable ie. at least at the threads for the bb, in a short time you'll be hooped. Sure it's lighter but to what degree of safety are you willing to give up for a few ounces? Unless you want to break your face and look uglier than Ugly Betty on your next wedge then be my guest. Werd.

Keep on rockin' in the free world.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I would not use magnesium on any structural parts like the frame or fork. Reason being is that magnesium is so corrosive that it pits and weakens in air and does so much faster in humid air. If there's moisture inside your tubes and it's exposed to the bare metal, which would be inevitable ie. at least at the threads for the bb, in a short time you'll be hooped. Sure it's lighter but to what degree of safety are you willing to give up for a few ounces? Unless you want to break your face and look uglier than Ugly Betty on your next wedge then be my guest. Werd.

Keep on rockin' in the free world.
You do realize that pretty much every even slightly high end suspension fork on the market has magnesium lowers, right?

jjym

Chimp
Nov 17, 2008
Magnesium suspension fork lowers are made thick and you may save a little bit of weight using that material. Negligable. Also they're painted and the metal is not exposed. Trials fork steerer tubes are exposed and by the looks of it the tubes insides on that frame don't look painted ie. same colour as the magnesium mg1 wellgo pedals on the bike. Frames have to be thinner than the thickness of fork lowers to have the weight saving gains. The bike would weigh a tonne if it were the same thickness as fork lowers or to have the same weight to strength ratio. It may take years of pitting and corrosion on suspension forks to make them unsafe where as on thin frame tubes it might take sooner. I'm not saying that it's not a good light metal to use, I just know about the properties of it. It just needs to be treated differently.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
if anyone reading this gets the opporunity to throw some magnesuim bike parts in a fire do it! then piss on the molten metal, it is great. Do it at night for an even better show.

jsk14

Chimp
Jan 13, 2009
GVRD
They do not use pure Mg, they always use alloy. Putting it in fire will not do anything.

-Jkw

giantrider89

Monkey
Oct 16, 2006
P-town, MN
I believe the dob koxx frames are their "competition use only" stuff.....its not made to practice or beat around on.....they put very specific disclaimers on some of their frames saying that they are strictly for light weight and smooth, expert riders!

these magnesium frames are probably one of those.....so id say shy away from it, unless you are a very graceful midget! :p