Quantcast

Doc says I have high blood pressure - I say, I don't

Whenever I go to to the doc, I get nervous and my blood pressure shoots all the way up to 140 (the low end of high). As soon as I leave, it goes back down.

So today, I have to wear a blood pressure monitor for 24 hours. Every 20 minutes it goes off and apparently tonite while I'm sleeping, it'll go off every hour.

They told me not to look at the readings because it makes people nervous. But I looked :) So far it's been 110/77 twice and 123/83 once.

Doc 0
MBC 3

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Maybe you need to see a new Doc if this one makes you so nervous?

I could recommend two or three or four here at the Health Center if you want to make a switch.

Oh and thanks again for the gift MBC - Laura and I used it over the weekend. :thumb:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I got funny looks last year when I went to the doctors and they measured my HR at 46 bpm. I use the time stuck waiting for the nurse to get relaxed and get the HR down.

splat

Nam I am
Westy said:
I got funny looks last year when I went to the doctors and they measured my HR at 46 bpm. I use the time stuck waiting for the nurse to get relaxed and get the HR down.
I've done that too. just relaxed and gotten my Pulse down below 60 for them ( never made it to 46 ).

My normal BP is about 120-130 over 70-80

that is what Really freaked me out this past summer, when they admitted me with the lyme menigitis I was in the ER lying in hte bed , I had been ther e for over 2 hours doing nothing , when they hooke me up to a Pulse-oximeter and I noticed my Pulse was over 115.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
SkaredShtles said:
The way he *always* uses laughing gas on her? Even when he's simply testing reflexes? :D
The way he mutters under his breath, "you got a real pretty mouth..."?

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
If you’re nervous shouldn’t your HR be high but not necessarily your BP? I have recorded high BP’s after sitting in traffic, long day at work, etc before though. Not ‘every’ time.
t

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
MtnBikerChk said:
Whenever I go to to the doc, I get nervous and my blood pressure shoots all the way up to 140 (the low end of high). As soon as I leave, it goes back down.

So today, I have to wear a blood pressure monitor for 24 hours. Every 20 minutes it goes off and apparently tonite while I'm sleeping, it'll go off every hour.

They told me not to look at the readings because it makes people nervous. But I looked :) So far it's been 110/77 twice and 123/83 once.

Doc 0
MBC 3
Lucky you but if he had been right it could be

Doc 1
MBC :dead:

So I'm thinking safe than sorry is probably a smart course.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I've got the same thing. I'm in the Dr.'s office, and my BP is 130/90 and my heart rate is about 80.

Back home, or anywhere else, my BP is 110/70 and my heart rate is in the mid 50's. I just hate going to the doctor :D