Quantcast

Document batch processing...

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I have a whole ton of envelopes that need to be printed at work off of individual .doc files. Is there a program that will do this in a batch?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Are the .doc files set up as envelopes (that is, is the page setup done correctly so that if you just hit the print button after opening the document, it'd print on an envelope)?

If so, just highlight them, right click and hit "Print"

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Word has a decent mail merge function. So after you've made sure they're set up properly, you can import a database file into the one master envelop and have it run them all with the variable addresses.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Mail merge is great in Word, but I don't think you can use individual .doc files as a merge field - I believe they have to be set up in a table or other database format (I know you said database file, but blue hasn't said he has a database here so I was clarifying for him).

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Won't mail merge automatically save merged documents as individual files? If that function was used to create the documents the database may already be created, that would save a ton of time, I used a database and mail merge to print announcements and thank you cards for wedding, it saved me like 10,000 hours.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Yes...in theory, I could do that (group select+print), however, whatever dumbass originally created them accidentally added an extra page because anyone who's worked there in the past doesn't know a computer from their own asshole. Hence, I need to be able to select current page or page one for printing in every document...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I just played around with Mail Merge for a few minutes to see if there was a way to fool it, and I'm not really seeing anything.

Just group select, print, and put in 2x the number of envelopes you'll need. Every other one will just come out blank.

How many documents are we talking about here? I mean, realistically if you've got the keystrokes down (enter to open the document, ctrl-P to print, alt-E to select current page, enter to print, ctrl-F4 to close the document, alt-tab to go back to explorer, down arrow, repeat) you could probably print 15+ per minute, probably more. Sucks but there it is.

If it's more than you can realistically do like that, then really, your best bet is to tell your boss or whoever that you need help typing them into an Excel spreadsheet so this doesn't happen again. Next time, it'd be five clicks of a mouse and you could mail merge them all.

Did the addresses come from some kind of currently retrievable source in the first place?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Pfft, hell no...

They manually inputted all 300+ addresses themselves. Brilliant.

Next month I'm fixing this pile of ****.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
300+?

:rolleyes:

It'd be half a day's work to get every single one of those into a database. Don't be a pvssy, get typing :p