Quantcast

Documentaries....

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I spent some time in Minot, just east of Williston, DURING the boom. It was insane on so many levels. The local fast food joints in Minot were offering $15 plus full benefits to start, because if you could perform that work you could go to the fields and start at double. There was a hotel built in Minot fully paid for by Halliburton and booked for 18 months for the sole use by their staff and contractors.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Not sure if this was posted before, but just watched this. Jesus fucking christ, my eyes hurt from crying so much. Probably especially impactful to me now with a baby of my own on the way, but the range of emotions the film brings out is amazing.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Been watching the Ken Burns Viet Nam documentary. My dad actually recommended it, and said he liked it, at least the first few episodes. I am guessing that some of the stuff talking about things that happened later in the war, during Nixon's leadership that is making his head explode. He did a tour wrenching on airplanes. His time wasn't fun, but he was lucky enough to be far away from the worst of it.

Either way a pretty disturbing look into the war. I always had a decent high level knowledge of the war, but every layer of detail ghastly and upsetting. Everything about that time was so incredibly fucked up. Puts a little perspective on how divided things are today, but not even close to how it was.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Been watching the Ken Burns Viet Nam documentary. My dad actually recommended it, and said he liked it, at least the first few episodes. I am guessing that some of the stuff talking about things that happened later in the war, during Nixon's leadership that is making his head explode. He did a tour wrenching on airplanes. His time wasn't fun, but he was lucky enough to be far away from the worst of it.

Either way a pretty disturbing look into the war. I always had a decent high level knowledge of the war, but every layer of detail ghastly and upsetting. Everything about that time was so incredibly fucked up. Puts a little perspective on how divided things are today, but not even close to how it was.
I've heard good things.

Just watched Who The F@$& Is That Guy. Great music doc about the dude who signed Metallica. I've heard Hired Gun is another good music one to check out, about the studio musicians behind several heavy metal artists (not unlike The Wrecking Crew).

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
We just watched "Chasing Coral" with the kiddo. Now he wants to help the environment by joining the "green team" at school. They skip recess to sort trash for the younger kids' lunch to be sure everything is properly recycled. Pretty cool... though this child in particular needs to run it out at recess as much as possible!