Quantcast

Documentaries....

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My wife reminded me of Born into Brothels, as well. Damn, I have a lot of movies to watch based on this thread.

Also, for the lulz: An evening with Kevin Smith is funny.

Dark Days
American

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Woodstock was good
Grizzly Man was....interesting
Born into Brothels was sad
Murderball was inspiring
Man on Wire was good too

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
I liked Helvetica, but I was studying graphic design at the time.

Man on wire was excellent

Titanic was too schmaltzy for me

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
i saw one about the "birth" of mountain biking in Marin county not too long ago. I was pretty cool, but I imagine if you arent into riding it may suck.

dosgearos

Chimp
Jun 26, 2007
Wow, I've got a lot of watchin' to do.

No Impact Man and Air Guitar Nation were entertaining.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Another good one is Brothers Keeper - about the Ward brothers in a NY village. One of the brothers had been ill for years and was found dead one morning. They figure it had been a mercy killing by one of the others. anyways... it gets interesting.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Lots of good selections in here, but no "Okie Noodling"?

Also, hated "The Parking Lot Movie". Couldn't make it past the first 20 minutes or so. Something about the glorification of a bunch of pseudo-intellectual bums working as parking lot attendants that just made me mad at my TV.

Jester

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
Beverly, MA
I would highly recommend Gas Land.
Also somebody else already recommend Bigger Stronger Fast, that one was great.
VBS is also an awesome site if you like documentaries, you have to check out the one on Liberia and North Korea.
Catfish was awful.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
i saw one about the "birth" of mountain biking in Marin county not too long ago. I was pretty cool, but I imagine if you arent into riding it may suck.
I think that's one measure of a documentary. A good one can present a subject so that even someone who isn't normally interested in that subject will find it enjoyable.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Another good one I saw was Manufactured Landscapes

It showcases the insanity of mans impact on the planet in other parts of the world. Slow at times and somewhat artsy but good nonetheless.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Just added a bunch of these to my netflix cue. A bunch of others went into the instant stream. A shocking number I could not find. Gonna be a movie watching vegetable on my weekend, needed all these when the kid was sick last week.

mdc

Monkey
Jul 8, 2006
Uxbridge
Rising Son: The Legend of Christian Hosoi.

Cool flick with some interesting interviews with Tony Hawk, Jason Lee, Eric Kosten etc regarding late 80's skateboarding.

Its Gonna Get Loud- Jack White, Jimmy Page and The Edge discuss guitars and how they wrote some of their more popular riffs....

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Rising Son: The Legend of Christian Hosoi.

Cool flick with some interesting interviews with Tony Hawk, Jason Lee, Eric Kosten etc regarding late 80's skateboarding.
Somewhere my mom has some funny pictures of him and several others (Bones Brigade crew mostly) getting a bit messed up in my back yard.

I'm glad to see him recover from what looked like a death march, he was a vert machine but we always schooled him on the street.

I guess he could have done worse (watch Stoked for reference).

<edit> I own this: http://www.jasonjesseemovie.com He's hilarious.
Best movie review ever:
"Whatever your take on the film, Producer David '****bird' Rogerson, or Jason Jessee....it's safe to say that David Rogerson has just kicked in the door and taken a sh!t next to the keg....Pray for us all.
-Skunk Magazine

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
What was the doc that just came out about some Indy/F1 driver, Spanish guy I think. Someone (stevew?) posted a youtube of the trailer sometime back. Sorry my recollection is so vague, I'm not a race fan by any means but the trailer was really good and made me want to see it and there was quite a bit of buzz about it at the time.

*edit: Never mind, found it. Not available with no release date on netflix. :disgust:

Last edited:

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
Lots of my favorites already mentioned. Here are a few more:

The Tillman Story
Collapse - Michael Rupert
Inside Job
Client 9
No Way Out (edit: wrong title, it's No End In Sight, same guy that did Inside Job)
Murder On a Sunday Morning
Boogie Man: The Lee Atwater Story
Countdown to Zero
Control Room
Harlan County USA

Last edited: