Quantcast

Documentaries....

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Didn't go through the whole thread to see if it was mentioned, but "The King of Kong: A Fistfull of Quarters" was very entertaining to me.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Suggestion - Editing the first post to create a list by categories of all the documentaries in this thread. Just a thought

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Trinity And Beyond. About US Nukular testing, JFC we were crazy.
awesome one too. i have it saved on my DVR for when i want to scare the sh!t outa myself. its amazing how many tests we did before the ban. the footage of all the tests was amazing too

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
awesome one too. i have it saved on my DVR for when i want to scare the sh!t outa myself. its amazing how many tests we did before the ban. the footage of all the tests was amazing too
Two things that really hit home:

A lot of the testing was for dick swinging and not scientific/development.

The Chinese testing their nuke and sending in horse mounted cavalry as part of a training exercise. Nukes and horses, JHMFCWTFROFL. Actually might be good for post apocalyptic training but most of the horses will have been eaten or turned into zombies.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Two things that really hit home:

A lot of the testing was for dick swinging and not scientific/development.

The Chinese testing their nuke and sending in horse mounted cavalry as part of a training exercise. Nukes and horses, JHMFCWTFROFL. Actually might be good for post apocalyptic training but most of the horses will have been eaten or turned into zombies.
the horse calvary was up there in stupidity with the US sailors inspecting the ships that were just irradiated with high doses or nuclear not-so-goodness....and thinking a hose down will get rid of the radiation :shocked:

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
I recently watched Food Inc because of this thread. Man...ignorance is definitely bliss. Though I will say I've done a pretty good job buying organic produce since then.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Anyone mention the story of Dick Proenneke, "Alone in the wilderness"...so much awesome...man had some SKILLS!

Alone in the Wilderness is a great movie!

We watched Waste Land last night about the largest landfill in the world in Rio and this Brazilian artist who changes the lives of a few landfill employee's. It was impressive.

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
i just watched Rising Son - The Legend Of Skateboarder Christian Hosoi and recommend it, while Superhigh Me was a bit luke...

on to Exit through the Gift Shop :D

keep 'em coming!!!

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead was pretty good and inspiring for good health.

Freedom Riders was sad and disturbing but really good and important IMO. [EDIT: Courageous is more accurate than sad and disturbing.]

11th Hour was interesting and suprisingly left me feeling hopeful. But I'm a sappy fool.

Already mentioned but Gasland was great. That's cool jimmydean knows the filmmaker. He did an outstanding job, especially as a first-timer. Also interested in seeing some of those pics JDs mom has of Hosoi et al in his back yard. Can you post them? Or are they already on here in another thread?

Pretty excited the film company I work for recently acquired the Conan O'Brien doc. Almost makes me wish I still worked out of the office so I could meet the lurching leprechan.

Roger and Me is old but still relevent, IMO.

Watched the W. Virginia flick recommended in here. ....Eeesh.

Also went on a spree of films related to the money-making business of medicine, especially Cancer. And since I've been taking care of my uncle with Alzheimer's I was led to the Alzheimer's Project series which has been helpful in his care as well as learning about steps we can take to decrease the chances of getting it.

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Already mentioned but Gasland was great. That's cool jimmydean knows the filmmaker. He did an outstanding job, especially as a first-timer. Also interested in seeing some of those pics JDs mom has of Hosoi et al in his back yard. Can you post them? Or are they already on here in another thread?
I need to pull out the boxes of photos at my folks house and see whats around. I know there are some incriminating photos of all sorts of 80's era pros that my ex-girlfriend took at after parties and back yard get togethers back then, too.

Anybody else remember when Animal Chin was released? :rofl:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I got most of what I could pull from this thread in the Netflix queue.

I did watch Food Inc tonight though and will be changing our diet even more.

We have been very conscious about eating grass fed beef, Buffalo (not allowed to use antibiotics and must be grass fed) and organic, free range chicken. We've also been trying to avoid HFCS and any other additive that I can't define without a PhD in bio/chem. Often we have been less conscious about fruit and vegetables, but we'll be making it to our farmer's markets more often now. Once we get through what's left in our pantries we will be doing more local food and trying to get some canning and preserving done as well.

Kinda makes you want to just stop buying anything in which you don't know what one of the ingredients actually is or the meat can't be confirmed as organic.

Does anyone know why/how the Costco organic chicken breasts weigh 1# each? I am still baffled by this.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I want to watch Food Inc but I'm afraid I won't eat any foods I enjoy afterwards...
I am working my way through the foods that we have, but when I get through that I am switching over to organics and non-GMO's. I also did my research to find our local farmer's markets and farms where I can buy meat from directly.

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
I got most of what I could pull from this thread in the Netflix queue.

I did watch Food Inc tonight though and will be changing our diet even more.

We have been very conscious about eating grass fed beef, Buffalo (not allowed to use antibiotics and must be grass fed) and organic, free range chicken. We've also been trying to avoid HFCS and any other additive that I can't define without a PhD in bio/chem. Often we have been less conscious about fruit and vegetables, but we'll be making it to our farmer's markets more often now. Once we get through what's left in our pantries we will be doing more local food and trying to get some canning and preserving done as well.

Kinda makes you want to just stop buying anything in which you don't know what one of the ingredients actually is or the meat can't be confirmed as organic.

Does anyone know why/how the Costco organic chicken breasts weigh 1# each? I am still baffled by this.
Couldn't figure out the Coscto org. chicken either so stopped buying it. ...Then laughed hard when I caught the organic chicken bit on Portlandia.

Touching the Void was pretty good, if you're into mountaineering .
I'm no mountaineer but I was glued to this one, even with the docu-drama recreations.

Thoughts on his climbing partner's decisions?

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I am working my way through the foods that we have, but when I get through that I am switching over to organics and non-GMO's. I also did my research to find our local farmer's markets and farms where I can buy meat from directly.
I don't eat poorly by any means but the extent of my organic purchases are Eggs and spinach and my meat purchases consist of chicken breasts and ground turkey. I only eat red meat when I go out but who knows where that comes from... I would love to go to more farmers markets but the big one in B-more is on saturdays and I always seem to be at a race or out of town.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I don't eat poorly by any means but the extent of my organic purchases are Eggs and spinach and my meat purchases consist of chicken breasts and ground turkey. I only eat red meat when I go out but who knows where that comes from... I would love to go to more farmers markets but the big one in B-more is on saturdays and I always seem to be at a race or out of town.
I generally eat healthy, but that put the brakes on what I thought was healthy. I'm going back to breaking down whole chickens, I know where I can get those in locally grown organic.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I'm no mountaineer but I was glued to this one, even with the docu-drama recreations.

Thoughts on his climbing partner's decisions?
Damned if he did, damned if he didn't. If Yates hadn't cut Simpson loose they would probably both be frozen stiffs on the side of that mountain. Yates cuts Simpson loose and only Yates survives, then its another tragic mountaineering anecdote with probably some finger wagging twoards Yates. Simpson has always defended Yates saying he did the right thing, I'm inclined to agree. They were in a sh/tty spot with no easy answers, its easy to second guess.

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
I agree. But climbing friends say the community in general was far from accepting of it, at least at the time. Third-hand news though so hopefully he wasn't ostracized or endure too much grief.

Unrelated: I'm currently watching Burzynski, the Movie: Cancer Is Serious Business. Yet another upsetting exposure of the FDA and NCI putting money before health.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
we netflix'ed a documentary about Ayurveda done in 2002 the other day. I didn't know what to think going into it and I still don't know what to think afterwards. Lets just say they have a different approach to health care that is very old.

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
Vanishing of the Honey Bees is today's tedious office task distracting doc.

I always dug their work ethic and strong community ways but this film is giving me even more love and respect for them. And a wee bit of hope for their/our survival.

Go bees!

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Not sure if Senna has been mentioned but it's a brilliant look at an incredibly talented F1 driver. The atmosphere watching it at the theatre was incredible

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Not sure if Senna has been mentioned but it's a brilliant look at an incredibly talented F1 driver. The atmosphere watching it at the theatre was incredible
it has and it finally has a date for release stateside next month. :weee:

where did you see it? i thought its only been played at movie festivals/award shows

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
it has and it finally has a date for release stateside next month. :weee:

where did you see it? i thought its only been played at movie festivals/award shows
he typed "theatRE" instead of "theater".... makes me think he's Euro

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
I am indeed a 'Euro', was going to write cinema but switched to theatre to make it easier...turns out I was wrong.

Anyway, the film is brilliant and when it does come out in theaters you should all go see it.