Quantcast

Documentaries....

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
I'm a documentary fan as well. I found Webjunkie on Netflix interesting. It's about a rehab center in China for web addiction. It's all subtitled so some of you are screwed.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
My Vinyl Weighs a Ton.
If you like hip-hop & PB Wolf & Stonesthrow you should check it out.
Its in Netflix.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
My Vinyl Weighs a Ton.
If you like hip-hop & PB Wolf & Stonesthrow you should check it out.
Its in Netflix.
Just in case anyone can't find it, the correct title is Our Vinyl Weighs a Ton. I'm going to watch it tonight.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
There is no way I can make it through the past 4 years of recs on this thread so forgive me if any of these are repeats.

Let the Fire Burn

The Interupters

Trouble the Water

Netflix Original: Chef's Table

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Last days in Vietnam is nothing short of amazing. An eye opener too, seeing congress give in to the masses of dumb ass hippies, directly resulting in tens of thousands dead when N.V. ripped up the Paris Treaty and invaded S.V.

The Chinook part was incredible. You have to watch it to believe it.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Last days in Vietnam is nothing short of amazing. An eye opener too, seeing congress give in to the masses of dumb ass hippies, directly resulting in tens of thousands dead when N.V. ripped up the Paris Treaty and invaded S.V.

The Chinook part was incredible. You have to watch it to believe it.
See 1971, those dumbasses respected the Constitution more than you and were true patriots.

Also:

Last edited:

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
See 1971, those dumbasses respected the Constitution more than you and were true patriots.

Also:

More than me? Yes. Probably. Because Im not American. And your post makes no difference to what I stated. A bunch of dumbasses ignored Fords request for funding and thousands of south vietnanese died because congress catered to a bunch of dumb ass hippies. Had nothing to do with YOUR constitution or respect or anything to do with 1971s break in of an FBI office and more to do with the Paris Treaty and what we call 'war crimes'. Fuck I cant believe im responding to non-sense.

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
More than me? Yes. Probably. Because Im not American. And your post makes no difference to what I stated. A bunch of dumbasses ignored Fords request for funding and thousands of south vietnanese died because congress catered to a bunch of dumb ass hippies. Had nothing to do with YOUR constitution or respect. Fuck I cant believe im responding to non-sense. :lmao:
The nonsense was the US being there in the first place. You watched ONE documentary covering a minute portion of that monumental mistake...

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/military/etc/cron.html

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Again, not much to do with the breaking of a treaty (peace accord)and war crimes and crimes against humanity which could have been prevented had congress got their act together. But hey whats several thousand vietnamese lives worth when youre high on cocaine and a babyboomer in the 70s?........

at any rate, you can watch the doc or not but its outstanding.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Again, not much to do with the breaking of a treaty (peace accord)and war crimes and crimes against humanity which could have been prevented had congress got their act together. But hey whats several thousand vietnamese lives worth when youre high on cocaine and a babyboomer in the 70s?........

at any rate, you can watch the doc or not but its outstanding.
We killed 1000s in various war crime US military operations against civilian populations BEFORE withdrawal admitted by our military itself:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-23427726

Hippies didn't have their head up their ass and it was a much bigger failure than Iraq:

• US, South Vietnam failed to stop communist-led unification
  • In 1970 US used 128,400 tonnes of munitions each month
  • Quang Tri province was saturated with 3,000 bombs per square km
  • 58,000 Americans died
  • 3.8 million Vietnamese died including 2m civilians between 1955-1975

Last edited:

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Whats funny is I reccomended a doc and brought up the facts pertaining to breaking the paris peace accord and you ass-ume I not aware of what exactly the Vietnam war consisted of or the politics behind it.

Strawman has a new face.

Again, I recomended a doc, and you are making no sense with regards to my post other than to point out the obvious and common belief that US involvement was a mistake. But since the US wasinvolved and pandoras box was opened it was their responsibility to enact the very things in the accord. This is very basic. The south vietnamese relied on the US to defend their lives. Something you seem to forget. Your knowledge of history is clearly one based on bbc and pbs documentaries. Apparently. Not one based on an understanding of what a peace accord is and what the consequences are when one breaks it. Then you post a doc about 8 people who were patriots. Thats akin to using snowden as evidence that the iraq war was a sham.

Go watch the doc and enjoy it.

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Or maybe we are just misunderstanding eachother.

Watch the doc. If just for the chinook part it is worth it.
I'm sure it's a good documentary, but the whole quagmire was a result of flawed foreign policy used by both the US and the Soviet Union during that era. Puppet states like SV aren't recognized by international law to start. Don't need a treaty if you don't use misguided foreign policy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Client_state#United_States

Obviously the US and the Soviets learned nothing as shown by Afghanistan (and also Iraq for the US).

Also don't forget the West didn't really believe in the principles they preached:

As World War I came to a close, a young Vietnamese patriot named Nguyen That Thanh arrived in Paris to speak with the powerful men negotiating the terms for peace. On behalf of his people living within the French empire in Indochina, Thanh sought to lobby the Western leaders for greater rights. He hoped to take American President Woodrow Wilson up on his promise of "self-determination," the principle of national sovereignty, and free Vietnam from colonial rule. But Thanh, like many other advocates of colonial independence who descended upon the Paris peace talks, discovered that the pledge was too good to be true. The British and the French refused to enforce self-rule for their colonies, and despite Thanh's direct appeal to President Wilson, the three powers ultimately ignored the young Vietnamese nationalist.

In the following years, Thanh, disillusioned by the Western democratic process, pursued new and more radical solutions to imperial rule in his country. He had been deeply impressed by the success of the 1917 Russian Revolution, and by the ability of the Bolsheviks to rally support among the Soviet masses. So in the 1920s, while still in France, he joined the Communist Party. With the adopted name Ho Chi Minh, meaning "enlightened one," he planned to take his teachings home to Vietnam to awaken his own people, to unite and train them, and to lead them in their own revolution.

Last edited:

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
I heard this story on NPR today.
Years ago I worked a few projects in Colorado DOC prisons. One of the (many) big industries was farm raised tilapia worked by prison labor. I do enjoy tilapia but now always refer to it as the sex-offender fish.
I've never had Tilapia that doesn't taste like mold. My hubby keeps trying to bring it home and forgets it is gross every time. I've cooked it several ways, just not my thing! But I gotta know, is prison raised Tilapia better tasting?