Quantcast

Dodge Charger Police Edition!!

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
man...sometimes it's just fun to be a cop :thumb: :D

just found out that our department will be phasing out crown vic's and bringing in the new chargers with the upgraded 5.7L Hemi! :love: :love:

"a 340-horsepower 5.7-liter V8 Hemi that twists out 390 lb.-ft. of torque"

maybe the chargers won't get dusted by a newer impala like my '05 crown vic did in a chase i had last month :nopity:

and for the greeny's out there, it runs on 4 cylinders for normal conditions but then the other 4 kick in when you stomp on the gas....pretty smart if you ask me.

anyway....just sharing my exitement over an impending new ride (even though my new crown vic won't be phased out for a few more years :sad: )

:edit for better picture:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
manimal said:
and for the greeny's out there, it runs on 4 cylinders for normal conditions but then the other 4 kick in when you stomp on the gas....pretty smart if you ask me.
Screw the greenies, tax dollars pay for gas, that extra few miles to the donut shop comes out of our pockets.... But that's pretty interesting though, is that new technology?

Anyways yah sounds like you won't be getting dusted with that rig. One of these days you should do an impression of Roscoe P Coltraine to some poor bastard you pull over. :oink: :D

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Skookum said:
One of these days you should do an impression of Roscoe P Coltraine to some poor bastard you pull over. :oink: :D
aww dude...you have no idea :D :devil:

we have a large "crusing" problem in my town. on fri/sat nights, kids come from over an hour away just to drive up and down main street in their crappy rice cars and blast their music in residential areas.....so.....the city places a few of us that are on duty on "cruiser detail" and we pretty much just bug the hell out of these kids. anyway, a lot of them hang out in parking lots that are posted "no tresspassing", so i get to have fun w/ them when i pull up to tell them to leave. i pull in and start saying things over my PA like "drugs are bad mmmkay....hey kids...sitting in parking lots and making out only leads to baby's mmmkay"
the ones that are familiar w/ southpark are usually laughing their arses off as they pull out of the lot but some of the older folk just look at me like i'm an idiot...soooo much fun :D
my average day on the job is a whole lot more like Reno 911 than it is like most "serious" cop shows.
"this is rosco pico train...kah-koo! i'm gone!"

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
manimal said:
aww dude...you have no idea :D :devil:

we have a large "crusing" problem in my town. on fri/sat nights, kids come from over an hour away just to drive up and down main street in their crappy rice cars and blast their music in residential areas.....so.....the city places a few of us that are on duty on "cruiser detail" and we pretty much just bug the hell out of these kids. anyway, a lot of them hang out in parking lots that are posted "no tresspassing", so i get to have fun w/ them when i pull up to tell them to leave. i pull in and start saying things over my PA like "drugs are bad mmmkay....hey kids...sitting in parking lots and making out only leads to baby's mmmkay"
the ones that are familiar w/ southpark are usually laughing their arses off as they pull out of the lot but some of the older folk just look at me like i'm an idiot...soooo much fun :D
my average day on the job is a whole lot more like Reno 911 than it is like most "serious" cop shows.
"this is rosco pico train...kah-koo! i'm gone!"
HAHAHAHAHA!!! Sounds like a blast. :D :p

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I saw a discovery channel special on these..they rule. The massive new dodge magnum wagon police edition is insane as well - showed a cop keeping up with about any sports car on the road..in a wagon.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Germans had a funny idea of what a police car should be in the 50's...

Papler Coachwerks 4 door Convertible Beetle police car. Catch some sun on the way to the station.

firetoole

duch bag
Nov 19, 2004
Wooo Tulips!!!!
I went on a ride along with a guy in my EMT class (cruser detail) it was so fun we followed this one car full of kids around town for almost a half hour they kept looking back and were driving like 10 under the limit and at the lights we would get like a foot from the car. later that same night we busted up a party and got 4 of them with MIP's

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Looks like a sweet ride. Is it a rear wheel drive? Hope so, Chryslers front wheel drive trannys wouldn't last long.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Skookum said:
Screw the greenies, tax dollars pay for gas, that extra few miles to the donut shop comes out of our pockets.... But that's pretty interesting though, is that new technology?

Nope, not new technology by a long shot....all those old ass Caddy's from the 30's that had V8's and V16's used that tech...albeit a very primitive version...but it still worked. Even the 90's Northstar V8's that were in those SLS models used it. I think a few of the old 1940's Chryslers' even used it too....Pretty neat stuff!!!

Now I just need a 750 hp 911 GT3.....yeah...that's it!!! :evil: :evil: Meh....they'd still get me once I ran out of gas in 30 miles...... :nope:

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
manimal said:
In case you were not aware, that concept has been tried before several times, each time resulting in failure. My brother even had the Cadillac version of the same thing in his Pimp DeVille 4/6/8. "Variable Displacement" or "Displacement on Demand" motors wear, obviously, at uneven rates and stress the motor's components in untraditional areas. Everthing from the fuel injection to ignition systems wear unevenly and are troublesome to diagnose when not running perfectly. We eventually had to disable the variable displacement feature so that his caddy ran on 8 all the time. Every mechanic I've ever talked with about that concept has rolled his eyes before launching into his own brand of the "good on paper/bad in practice" diatribe. Not that you'll ever end up skinning a knuckle wrenching on that puppy, but just the same...

Anyhow, what about that same car, except with the 6.1 upgrade?

Behold our most powerful engine ever: the big-bore SRT-engineered 6.1-liter HEMI V8. A mix of modern technology and good old-fashioned hot rod engineering enables this beast to churn out a fearsome 425 horsepower and 420 lb-ft of torque. That's more power per liter than the legendary 426 Street HEMI that reigned supreme in the 1960s and 1970s.

Power: 425 horsepower at 6,200 rpm
Torque: 420 lb-ft at 4,800 rpm
Fuel economy: 14 mpg city / 20 mpg highway*

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
More on the version you'll likely see:

Dodge puts 340 horses under good guys' hoods - Dodge Charger joins Dodge Magnum to make modern muscle available for street patrol - Superior rear-wheel-drive performance and handling characteristics designed to perform and protect

AUBURN HILLS, Mich., March 24 -- Dodge charges into the police car market this fall with the all-new 2006 Dodge Charger police vehicle, offering law enforcement agencies a four-door sedan with all the power, handling and functionality they require to effectively patrol the streets.

"With rear-wheel drive and available HEMI(R) power at the pavement, the Dodge Charger provides optimum police car pursuit performance," said Darryl Jackson, Vice President - Dodge Marketing, Chrysler Group. "Dodge has a strong police heritage and is proud to offer vehicles armed with modern muscle and cutting-edge technology."

The 2006 Dodge Charger police vehicle will join the previously announced Dodge Magnum police vehicle to round out Dodge's growing fleet of bold, powerful and capable vehicles for law enforcement agencies.

"We listened to what law enforcement officers asked for and paid attention to the details that are important to them," said Ray Fisher, Vice President - Sales, Service and Parts Operations, Chrysler Group. "By integrating features and functionality into the original design of the Dodge Charger, we can give our police customers an affordable, capable vehicle with industry-leading innovations."

For the ultimate in pursuit power, the Dodge Charger police vehicle will be available with a 5.7-liter HEMI V-8 engine that produces 340 horsepower at 5000 rpm and 390 lb.-ft. of torque at 4000 rpm. The V-8 HEMI engine features Chrysler Group's Multi-displacement System (MDS), which seamlessly alternates between smooth, high fuel economy four-cylinder mode when less power is needed and V-8 mode when more power is required. Fuel efficiency improves by up to 20 percent with MDS, but not at the expense of performance. Dodge Charger police vehicles equipped with HEMI engines will be able to go from zero to 60 mph in just 6.0 seconds.

The 2006 Dodge Charger police car also will be available with a powerful, 3.5-liter High Output V-6 engine that provides 250 horsepower at 6400 rpm and 250 lb.-ft. of torque at 3800 rpm, offering an outstanding blend of performance and fuel economy.

A fully electronic five-speed automatic transmission with an Electronically Modulated Converter Clutch (EMCC) offers improved shift feel to match a variety of driving styles, situations and road conditions. This transmission is standard on all Dodge Charger police cars. Heavy-duty brakes and linings, also standard on Charger police vehicles, provide secure and stable deceleration and braking capability.

In addition, Dodge Charger police vehicles will include an Electronic Stability Program (ESP) with Emergency Brake Assist, All-speed Traction Control and four-wheel Anti-lock Brake System (ABS). Combined, these features will provide balance and control for officers in a variety of surface and weather conditions.

* ESP enhances driver control and helps maintain directional stability in turns, even on uneven surfaces, patchy snow, ice or gravel. If there is a discernible difference between what the driver asks through the steering and the vehicle's path, ESP applies selective braking and throttle control to put the car back onto the driver's intended path

* Emergency Brake Assist detects when maximum braking is required through sensing the rate of brake application. By applying full brake pressure to all four brakes, this system improves stopping distance

* All-speed Traction Control enhances mobility and prevents wheel slip when accelerating on slippery surfaces. It also provides a measure of directional stability control and helps keep the car on its intended course. The system works by braking the slipping wheel in low-traction situations. However, it also can adjust the throttle control, making the vehicle less reliant on brake applications alone

* ABS keeps the vehicle straight and retains steering capability while braking on slippery surfaces by preventing wheel lock-up

Both passive and active safety features also are incorporated in the new Dodge Charger police vehicles. These include: advanced multistage driver and front passenger air bags, a front passenger Occupant Classification System (OCS) for controlled airbag deployment, constant force seat belt retractors, pretensioners, an energy-absorbing steering column, optional side-curtain airbags and a tire pressure monitoring system to alert officers of low tire pressure.

Preliminary Standard Features:

Standard features on the 2006 Dodge Charger police vehicle will include the following items of particular importance to law enforcement customers:

* 100-amp battery power feed in trunk
* 160-amp high-output alternator
* 160-mph calibrated speedometer
* 800CCA heavy-duty battery
* cloth front bucket seats with manual lumbar and rear fixed bench seat
* column shifter
* easy path wiring grommet between underhood and passenger compartment
* emergency rear-door-lock override
* external oil coolers
* four-wheel independent performance suspension
* heavy-duty brakes and linings
* integrated engine hour meter
* P225/60R 18 V-rated all-season performance tires and 18-inch steel
wheels
* performance-tuned steering
* police equipment interface module
* police equipment mounting bracket
* rear door locks and rear window switches inoperable from the rear seats
* severe-duty cooling system
* software-controlled alternating head- and taillamps
* special electrical wiring for police market applications
* speed control
* stealth mode switch for interior lighting
Additional standard features and optional equipment are available on the Dodge Charger police vehicle to provide law enforcement customers an affordable vehicle with industry-leading innovations that make upfitting the vehicle faster and safer.

Production:

Production for the 2006 Dodge Charger and Dodge Magnum police vehicles will begin in the fall of 2005 at the Brampton Assembly Plant in Brampton, Ontario (Canada) alongside the 2006 Dodge Magnum, Dodge Charger and Chrysler 300.

The 2006 Dodge police vehicles will be available to county, city and state police departments in the fourth quarter of 2005, with pricing announced at that time.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
llkoolkeg said:
Anyhow, what about that same car, except with the 6.1 upgrade?

Behold our most powerful engine ever: the big-bore SRT-engineered 6.1-liter HEMI V8. A mix of modern technology and good old-fashioned hot rod engineering enables this beast to churn out a fearsome 425 horsepower and 420 lb-ft of torque. That's more power per liter than the legendary 426 Street HEMI that reigned supreme in the 1960s and 1970s.

Power: 425 horsepower at 6,200 rpm
Torque: 420 lb-ft at 4,800 rpm
Fuel economy: 14 mpg city / 20 mpg highway*
I have seen one of those parked near my dads store.

Just a tiny little 6.1L badge on the back.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
i've been wondering about the reliability of the 4/8 system as it does seem like it would wear unvenly...unless it rotated the 4 that are constant.

and that 6.1 hemi would be friggin amazing, too bad they're not offering it for the police edition.... it's overkill for the everyday patrol car. only the troopers around here have cars that fast like the camaro's. i've seen them keep up with the likes of a gsxr-750 at full speed on the freeway and i was pretty darn impressed as i used to outrun the fuzz in my younger years aboard an R6.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
I dont' think cops should have fast cars or guns.
Hell, our friggin park rangers have guns! What the hell do they need guns for?

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
ioscope said:

yeah, no kidding....cause it's not like we deal with guns much on the street or anything. :rolleyes: :nuts:

-evidence locker-

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Speaking of Camaro's.....I was driving with my wife on the freeway one Saturday afternoon in our Toyota Camry and doing about 75 in a 60.....I just happen to check my rearview mirror and notice flashing lights way behind me...."Oh SH*T" I thought.....I'm toast....but he wasn't anywhere on the road that we passed...I moved over a lane and was still doing 75......He shot by at well over 120 just inches from my side mirror.....Scared the living crap outta me.....Ended up catching up to him later on down the road....pulled over a Ferrari 360 Spider....Traffic was light on this 3 mile straightaway and he was out of sight in literally 30 seconds....BAD ASS!!!!!!

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.

firetoole

duch bag
Nov 19, 2004
Wooo Tulips!!!!
ioscope said:
thats a good Idea except for 1 problem
all the people who are not cops/park rangers that do have guns

Meat Foot

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
On the asthenosphere
N8 said:
The fastest car at my high school was a 1969 Dodge Charger with a 440 police interceptor engine....
My dad had a 68 with only a 383 in it. Sadly, it did not have the 440 or the 426 option which was good cause it probably saved my life. Was still a fun vehicle. Could get up to 40 in 1st, then slam the Hurst 4 spd tranny into 2nd. Oh it had 300 hp and like 400 ft-lb torque. Handling was better left to a straight line.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
manimal said:
yeah, no kidding....cause it's not like we deal with guns much on the street or anything. :rolleyes: :nuts:

-evidence locker-
That is a lot o' guns. Does any one else notice a few BB guns in the mix?

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
Westy said:
That is a lot o' guns. Does any one else notice a few BB guns in the mix?
I noticed the Powerline pump gun, 'cause I used to have one as a kid. A couple look like starters' blank/cap pistols. I've seen pretty realistic painted water gus, too, besides the obvious translucent blue ones. Either way, a Crossman or a Daisy will get you just as dead as an S&W if you foolishly point one at a cop. If you want to see a nice collection, try the NRA Museum just west of D.C. off RTE66 or the Hoover FBI collection downtown. If you take the tour, they'll even demo a .45 Thompson full rock-n-roll for the group...or at least they used to. Nothing quite like watching a paper target get sawed in half by an agent wielding a Tommy w/oil can drum mag. :thumb:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
llkoolkeg said:
I noticed the Powerline pump gun, 'cause I used to have one as a kid. A couple look like starters' blank/cap pistols. I've seen pretty realistic painted water gus, too, besides the obvious translucent blue ones. Either way, a Crossman or a Daisy will get you just as dead as an S&W if you foolishly point one at a cop. If you want to see a nice collection, try the NRA Museum just west of D.C. off RTE66 or the Hoover FBI collection downtown. If you take the tour, they'll even demo a .45 Thompson full rock-n-roll for the group...or at least they used to. Nothing quite like watching a paper target get sawed in half by an agent wielding a Tommy w/oil can drum mag. :thumb:
I've been wanting to check out the NRA museum for a while but at this point I avoid NoVa and DC traffic like it was a fat chick with a festering cold sore.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
DRB said:

In the park's rugged backcountry, migrants and smugglers have cut hundreds of new trails, trampled plants, and strewn water jugs and other garbage through the once-pristine desert. They have disrupted the habitat of the park's population of endangered Sonoran pronghorn antelope, a shy and reclusive species already gravely stressed by a drought.

I just watched a special on tv about the national parks being taken over by weed growing operations as a result of the borders being a bit more secure.
they were saying how it was a multi billion dollar industry and the rangers couldn't go into the woods during the growing season because the danger was too high....

sounds like a good reason to legalize and tax the crap out of it. :monkey:

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Sweet, should be fun to drive. Here in California, the CHP has gotten all white Cameros with clear lights on top. You don't even know they're cops until the red light is on you...

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Skookum said:
Honda has been doing it for at least 2 years. They call it variable cylinder managment. I figure if Honda is willing to put their reliability reputation on it, then they must have figured something out.
The new dodge Rams are supposed to have it too. Their 3/4ton gets 21mpg hwy. That's better than my diesel. They are jumping in with both feet though. 7 dodge vehicals will have the feature in '06
It's a good thing for cop cars. Those vic interceptors got like 12mpg.